Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn Osmond - Will/should she be given a second Grand Prix ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
true and if there is a spot open from Shelepen I hope that finally goes to Mirai, I enjoy her skating ( has been bypassed many times !) than Osmond who imo, did not even deserve the gold, it was Akiko's so doubt the Japanese Fed would be willing to get another blow

silverlake22

Record Breaker
true and if there is a spot open from Shelepen I hope that finally goes to Mirai, I enjoy her skating ( has been bypassed many times !) than Osmond who imo, did not even deserve the gold, it was Akiko's so doubt the Japanese Fed would be willing to get another blow

Osmond maybe didn't deserve gold, but she definitely deserved a medal, at least bronze or silver, while Mirai was only 4th at her GP event with a significantly lower score. So I sort of feel like Osmond deserves the spot more, especially because she has a great chance to make the GPF while Mirai has virtually no chance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except that the criteria for replacement is the SEASONS BEST list from the end of the 2011-2012 season, not how well a skater has done so far in the current season.

Mirai was in the top 24 on that list, while Osmond was in the 40s. When all the other skaters in the top 24 on the SB list had received two assignments, Nagasu was tops on the replacement list. She's been bypassed several times for lesser skaters because generally, federations tend to choose replacements who won't outscore their own skaters.

As I said in an earlier post, the skaters originally receiving NHK invitations weren't a group of worldbeaters to begin with. That was probably to enhance Imai's chances of placing high. So if you look at the replacements who would be least challenging to Imai based on season performance so far, Nagasu is a more attractive choice than Osmond.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Osmond maybe didn't deserve gold, but she definitely deserved a medal, at least bronze or silver, while Mirai was only 4th at her GP event with a significantly lower score. So I sort of feel like Osmond deserves the spot more, especially because she has a great chance to make the GPF while Mirai has virtually no chance.

As of now, Osmond and Christina Gao are on the same page--both have been unremarkable until this season, and have yet to prove that their magnificent programs weren't flukes. Gao will be at TEB (at this point, I highly doubt Osmond will be getting that NHK spot, especially since Shelepen has yet to announce WD), and I wouldn't be putting Osmond in the "potential GPF" bin just yet. Here are the six highest scores in the ladies' field right now, with 2 more events to go:

1. Ashley Wagner (SA; 188.37)
2. Mao Asada (CoC; 181.76)
3. Julia Lipnitskaia (CoC; 177.92)
4. Kiira Korpi (CoR; 177.19)
5. Kaetlyn Osmond (SC; 176.45)
6. Christina Gao (SA; 174.25)

Others, including Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Akiko Suzuki, are highly favored as qualifiers for the GPF. Even with a second GP, I doubt that Osmond would be able to surpass them.

Taan

On the Ice
:party: Now that Czisny has withdrawn from NHK I hope Kaetlyn gets a spot!!!! :party:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's 11/15 in Japan----8 days before NHK. The JSF is not obligated to fill a vacancy that close to the competition. And if they did, there is no assurance they'd fill it with Osmond. Glebova, McCorkell and Hecken are all possibilities.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It's 11/15 in Japan----8 days before NHK. The JSF is not obligated to fill a vacancy that close to the competition. And if they did, there is no assurance they'd fill it with Osmond. Glebova, McCorkell and Hecken are all possibilities.

I don't think they will fill it, though they did fill BOTH a pairs and a woman's spot they weren't obligated to (I mention the pairs because of all the people saying they only picked Mirai because she's popular in Japan). However, it is now just about a week from the competition. If Czisny withdrew Monday I'd have said they were likely to fill it but now I don't think they will. If they do I don't think AT ALL that they will pick Osmond. However, if they do, I'll be delighted.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the JSF didn't fill YANKOWSKAS / REGAN's spot, they'd now be down to 6 pairs, because VARTMANN / VAN CLEAVE have also withdrawn. Anyway, Y/R withdrew on 11/7, 16 days before the start of NHK and were replaced on 11/9 by Scimeca / Knierim---within the 14 days. As it happens, there are no more Pairs available to fill another empty slot; S/K were the last ones eligible.

Shelepen's withdrawal was announced on 11/12 and she was replaced the same day. But the JSF may have known about it within the 14 days and made arrangements for Nagasu to replace her at that time, before the formal announcement on the 12th.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Even if they decided to fill it, legally, they cannot fill it with Osmond. She had to have achieved a top 24 score last season, which she did not.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Even if they decided to fill it, legally, they cannot fill it with Osmond. She had to have achieved a top 24 score last season, which she did not.

I don't think so...Gao and Glebova got put in as replacements and neither had a SB in the top 24 from last season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:party: Now that Czisny has withdrawn from NHK I hope Kaetlyn gets a spot!!!! :party:

Skate Canada ‏@SkateCanada
@figurskater we inquired about Kaetlyn at NHK but bc the withdraw was within 7 days of the event it was not possible to have her at it
7:27 AM - 15 Nov 12​

:eek:hwell:

hohoho

On the Ice
Well that sucks. Was hoping Osmond would get NHK. Who benefits most by Czisny's spot not being filled and Osmond not competing?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alissa should have bailed out of NHK earlier then she did. She knew she couldn't give it a go but still waited to long for her to be replaced.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
It sucks so much that Kaetlyn cannot be part of NHK.

Considering that Nagasu enter in NHK like 1 day before Alissa Czisny, I think that it's not fair, to not enter other skater for the same reason.
It's not like the event is tomorow, NHK is in 7 days.

Really What a bad decision that the japanesse federation have did here. Kaetlyn Osmond would have deserve this spot.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is not the responsibility of the Japanese federation to give Kaetlyn Osmond a spot.
Period.
This may be a disappointment to her fans, but it's how it works.

And it isn't 7 days, you have to allow for jet lag and practice days, too.

At this point, it wouldn't be a great idea for Kaetlyn to go.

Does she have to skate Challenge this year, BTW?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shelepen's withdrawal and Nagasu's replacement spot were announced on 11/12--11 days before the start of NHK. It's quite likely that the JSF was notified within the 14-day period and chose the replacement before making the announcement.
Czisny announced her withdrawal yesterday, 11/14 (11/15 in Japan). The JSF decided it was too late to replace Czisny.

It is, after all, their choice.

hohoho

On the Ice
The problem here is that Czisny waited too long to withdraw. My feeling is that if Shelepen did not withdraw, Czisny would have earlier to get Nagasu into NHK.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem here is that Czisny waited too long to withdraw. My feeling is that if Shelepen did not withdraw, Czisny would have earlier to get Nagasu into NHK.

I'm surprised that Czisny withdrew yesterday---I expected her to wait until a couple of days before NHK to withdraw, if at all. She has competed when out of shape and/or injured in the past.

Anyway, Nagasu is one of Czisny's rivals at the National level. I don't see why Alissa would go out of her way to 'help' Mirai.