Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Akiko Suzuki's Programs for this season

Akiko Suzuki's Programs for this season

After watching her programs, I think there is so much potential.

My 3 favourite free skates are from Mao, Akiko and Ashley!

Custom Title
    I've seen Mao's and Akiko's long programs, and I agree with you that they're lovely. Haven't seen Ashley's yet.

This is Akiko's LP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-3MPLyKpqk

Congratulations to her for skating cleanly! She was so happy! "O" is already one of my favourite programs ever!

Custom Title
    Akiko's exhibition this year is just wonderful too, to Umbrellas of Cherbourg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LcCjjNiU5c

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Akiko's exhibition this year is just wonderful too, to Umbrellas of Cherbourg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LcCjjNiU5c
    Pure exquisiteness! She is an 8.0's PCS skater! I am so happy for her. I do hope she would continue to soar!

I am just excited for Akiko and Ashley!

Custom Title
    So gorgeous. We're lucky to be fans during Akiko's career.

Really lucky! I am in love with her skating!

Custom Title
    Akiko is looking great this season. I really like both her new programs, especially the LP. I just enjoyed every moment of it while watching Skate Canada. I felt her PCS in the LP was too low and didn't at all reflect the quality of what she put out on the ice. Her PCS was only 1 point higher than Murakami's, for example, and she was obviously much better than Murakami in detail, choreographic quality, musicality, and delivery of the program. Hopefully Akiko's scores will improve at the next competition. Also, I love her costumes this year!

Custom Title
    Love Love Love Akiko programs. Especially the long. Don't know why the judges keep lowballing her. Her PCS at Skate Canada was such a travesty.

She deserves 8-9 for the PCS scores. She is one of the best in the world.

She is a supreme skater! I do hope judges would give her the scores she deserve.

Her "O" program is one of the best I've ever seen. The artistry just leaves me breathless!

A friend of mine suggested a high profile coaching change will help her in the politics of the sport :(

Custom Title
    For those interested, the music cuts of her free program include the songs Jeux d'eau (the beginning and the slow part in the middle) Africa (step sequence) and Desert (the end), all from O by Cirque du Soleil.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post

A friend of mine suggested a high profile coaching change will help her in the politics of the sport :(
    Or winning Japan Nationals.

I'm not so keen on her programs this year. I loved her FS last season; loved her SP from the season before last. But her FS this year seems very cold and unsuited for her; it works against her effervescent personality. Can't stand her SP this year at all, I think the packaging is all wrong and way beneath her. There's a better way to do a Kill Bill program than that...

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I'm not too much a fan of her SP. I think the edit of music throws it off. I like that she's trying something different but I'm not sure it's working.

Her LP is probably the best she's ever had. Her arms and hands are so lovely in this program; it's a weird thing to focus in on but she really tells the story especially in the footwork. I love how the music speeds up and then slows down and I love the sweeping quality the last minute has. After the salchow to the end is just gorgeous! The spiral sequence is wonderful! I love the speed and the steps into her arabesque spiral, which has really improved over the years.

The music is different and new; I don't think anyone has skated to those selections so it really sets the program apart from Mao and Ashley (who are both using well-known pieces). It's a different style and I love it.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'm not too much a fan of her SP. I think the edit of music throws it off. I like that she's trying something different but I'm not sure it's working.

Her LP is probably the best she's ever had. Her arms and hands are so lovely in this program; it's a weird thing to focus in on but she really tells the story especially in the footwork. I love how the music speeds up and then slows down and I love the sweeping quality the last minute has. After the salchow to the end is just gorgeous! The spiral sequence is wonderful! I love the speed and the steps into her arabesque spiral, which has really improved over the years.

The music is different and new; I don't think anyone has skated to those selections so it really sets the program apart from Mao and Ashley (who are both using well-known pieces). It's a different style and I love it.
    I like her SP actually -- and so does my non-fan husband. I can see how the music cuts seem a bit off-putting, but I sort of like the mix between tough and gentle music, kind of describes Akiko pretty well actually!

And yes the LP as an absolute masterpiece. I think it's good for Akiko to challenge herself with pieces that aren't as dramatic or performance oriented like her West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Dark Eyes or Die Fidermaus. I think it's more of a subtle, nuanced piece that I think is hard for judges to warm up to at first. In a sense, I can see why she was lowballed on PCS -- it doesn't have"in your face" performance quality like Ashley's FS, for example. It's the same reason, IMO, that Kozuka was underscored in PCS for his Exodus SP at SKAM.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I like her SP actually -- and so does my non-fan husband. I can see how the music cuts seem a bit off-putting, but I sort of like the mix between tough and gentle music, kind of describes Akiko pretty well actually!

And yes the LP as an absolute masterpiece. I think it's good for Akiko to challenge herself with pieces that aren't as dramatic or performance oriented like her West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Dark Eyes or Die Fidermaus. I think it's more of a subtle, nuanced piece that I think is hard for judges to warm up to at first. In a sense, I can see why she was lowballed on PCS -- it doesn't have"in your face" performance quality like Ashley's FS, for example. It's the same reason, IMO, that Kozuka was underscored in PCS for his Exodus SP at SKAM.

Maybe the SP will grown on me...I love the footwork section and the hydro-blade move. Maybe a stronger performance of it will change my mind.

I don't think not understanding the program was the reason she was underscored. On reputation alone her scores should have been higher, never mind the fact she put out a clean program and Kaetlyn had mistakes. That was purposeful lowballing IMO. I don't think it had anything to do with the program...they wanted Kaetlyn to win and to do so, Akiko got held back. Sad but true...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast