Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Akiko Suzuki's Programs for this season

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Maybe the SP will grown on me...I love the footwork section and the hydro-blade move. Maybe a stronger performance of it will change my mind.

I don't think not understanding the program was the reason she was underscored. On reputation alone her scores should have been higher, never mind the fact she put out a clean program and Kaetlyn had mistakes. That was purposeful lowballing IMO. I don't think it had anything to do with the program...they wanted Kaetlyn to win and to do so, Akiko got held back. Sad but true...
    The reason I say that is that the comments among those who were at Skate Canada was that Kaetlyn had a bigger presence on the ice and I think a lot of that was driven by her outgoing personality skating to Carmen, which lends itself to some in-your-face type performing. I don't think it's a stretch to say that perhaps the judges were influenced in the same way.

So perhaps the reasons you list were the driving factor, but combine it with the fact that Akiko continues to be underscored and a reward toward over-performing mediocre-packaged programs (see Alena Leonova) and you got a perfect storm.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    ^^*in mourning for the the sport*

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    After the salchow to the end is just gorgeous! The spiral sequence is wonderful!
    I actually really enjoy everything after the salchow as well. For me, though, it's just not enough to make me love this program, given that the first two-thirds left me cold (Akiko just feels muted during the step sequence--which is a criminal waste of Akiko's footwork and performance ability). And I don't understand why, in the choreographed sequence, moves like the knee lunge and the spiral are buried in the corner of the rink--those are moves that should be shown off in the center of the ice.

Die Fleidermaus and West Side story are her two best programs, IMO.

Custom Title
    Akiko is not considered as Japan's No.1 therefore do not have the full weight of JSF behind her maybe is the main reason she will never get good PCS when she couldn't even get it at home!

I have been an admirer or Akiko for sometime, especially her West Side Story Olympic program, and I was overjoyed hearing she was going to do 'Kill bill' and 'O' this year. What inspiring choices and great challenge for her! But having seen the actual work, I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.

These programs feel gimmicky, and it was skating by numbers with little correlation to do with the theme she has chosen. Her FS music edit simply does not flow, and between the transition of music changes there were little style references or acknowledgement in the choreography or interpretation. The whole program therefore felt generic, flat, emotionally removed rather than something special or even memorable. It is a shame, because I do love her peacock FS costume, but she might as well be performing to Carmen, and it would hardly make any difference.

Just what so 'O' about it? Was there any style reference to water, fluidity, the show even once other than the peacock feather recalls birds in her costume? Cirque du soleil 'O' show is one of the most imaginative avant garde extravaganza experiences in the world, I expect the program to do it justice, even 5% of it would be enough. I saw the Cirque du soleil Michael Jackson show a few weeks ago in London, I'd bet Florent's version of that show would be infinitely more lively, interesting and more relevant than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Akiko is not considered as Japan's No.1 therefore do not have the full weight of JSF behind her maybe is the main reason she will never get good PCS when she couldn't even get it at home!

I have been an admirer or Akiko for sometime, especially her West Side Story Olympic program, and I was overjoyed hearing she was going to do 'Kill bill' and 'O' this year. What inspiring choices and great challenge for her! But having seen the actual work, I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be.

These programs feel gimmicky, and it was skating by numbers with little correlation to do with the theme she has chosen. Her FS music edit simply does not flow, and between the transition of music changes there were little style references or acknowledgement in the choreography or interpretation. The whole program therefore felt generic, flat, emotionally removed rather than something special or even memorable. It is a shame, because I do love her peacock FS costume, but she might as well be performing to Carmen, and it would hardly make any difference.

Just what so 'O' about it? Was there any style reference to water, fluidity, the show even once other than the peacock feather recalls birds in her costume? Cirque du soleil 'O' show is one of the most imaginative avant garde extravaganza experiences in the world, I expect the program to do it justice, even 5% of it would be enough. I saw the Cirque du soleil Michael Jackson show a few weeks ago in London, I'd bet Florent's version of that show would be infinitely more lively, interesting and more relevant than this one.
    Different opinions, I suppose! I really enjoyed her FS and really feel that she showed that fluidity though her arm movements through the ice and the way she placed different jump and non-jump elements in the program.

Consider that after the fact we learned she was playing COP calculator for parts of the program, perhaps the full-power of the FS has not been realized. But regardless I love it. But it's OK if you don't, you're entitled to enjoy what you want!

And considering that two of the winners at Skate Canada DID skate to Carmen, well....

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    I think both of Suzuki's programs this season are terrific. I love the new, aggressive style of her SP, and the hydro-blade part is fantastic -- I think it is modeled on choreography from the film, no? (Especially her free leg position in it.)

I love her LP music, particularly the birds chirping in the beginning. Love when skaters skate to un- or under-used music. Her LP is slightly less exciting to me, though, because its light, lyrical quality is more typical for Suzuki and more conventional overall for a female figure skater.

On the other hand, I have not generally thought (contrary to the views expressed by some on this thread) that Suzuki is an under-marked or under-appreciated skater by the judges. I am often surprised by how high her scores are, given her technical content. I did think it was a mistake that Osmond beat her at Skate Canada this year, however. (However, again, I thought her silver medal was correct; I thought Murakami should have won, and was judged too harshly.)

Custom Title
    ^^ I think you make a good point that Murakami was harshly judged. I think both Murakami and Suzuki were kept down in the marks.

Looking back, I think Akiko's sp was not skated that poorly. She two-footed second jump in her first combination and landed another jump with a wide landing leg and slightly pitched forward, but that shouldn't take off too many points because it was successfully completed (maybe not the best GOE). She also needs to work on developing more speed in some of her spins. Re the overall sp, probably since it's early in the season Akiko is still getting used to a different kind of program. I really like the hard-edged aggressiveness of it and felt she was underscored. She should easily have been in at least 4th place because she did not make major mistakes. However, it probably did come across that she is not yet that comfortable skating to this new program. Still it was strong and has great potential and kudos to her for trying something different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLdaPGX2X24

Re her lovely fp, Akiko has wonderful interpretive skills and charisma. Even despite having short arms and legs (which doesn't give her great lines), she uses every ounce of what she has to touch the audience and express herself beautifully on the ice.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-02-2012 at 04:51 AM.

Akiko is a supreme artist!

I am excited to see her perform "Kill Bill" to it's fullest! Skated to it's full potential-this program will be a monster.

I consider myself one of her biggest fans ever and I just love her so much.

I am excited for the World's showdown this year with Akiko, Ashley and Mao bringing it!

I love these girls so much.

I would also love it if she had more command as a champion this year.

I see Ashley, Mao and even Akiko breaking the 200 points if they skate to their best in the Olympics.

==========================

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2