Akiko Suzuki's Programs for this season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki's Programs for this season

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I think both of Suzuki's programs this season are terrific. I love the new, aggressive style of her SP, and the hydro-blade part is fantastic -- I think it is modeled on choreography from the film, no? (Especially her free leg position in it.)

I love her LP music, particularly the birds chirping in the beginning. Love when skaters skate to un- or under-used music. Her LP is slightly less exciting to me, though, because its light, lyrical quality is more typical for Suzuki and more conventional overall for a female figure skater.

On the other hand, I have not generally thought (contrary to the views expressed by some on this thread) that Suzuki is an under-marked or under-appreciated skater by the judges. I am often surprised by how high her scores are, given her technical content. I did think it was a mistake that Osmond beat her at Skate Canada this year, however. (However, again, I thought her silver medal was correct; I thought Murakami should have won, and was judged too harshly.)

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ I think you make a good point that Murakami was harshly judged. I think both Murakami and Suzuki were kept down in the marks.

Looking back, I think Akiko's sp was not skated that poorly. She two-footed second jump in her first combination and landed another jump with a wide landing leg and slightly pitched forward, but that shouldn't take off too many points because it was successfully completed (maybe not the best GOE). She also needs to work on developing more speed in some of her spins. Re the overall sp, probably since it's early in the season Akiko is still getting used to a different kind of program. I really like the hard-edged aggressiveness of it and felt she was underscored. She should easily have been in at least 4th place because she did not make major mistakes. However, it probably did come across that she is not yet that comfortable skating to this new program. Still it was strong and has great potential and kudos to her for trying something different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLdaPGX2X24

Re her lovely fp, Akiko has wonderful interpretive skills and charisma. Even despite having short arms and legs (which doesn't give her great lines), she uses every ounce of what she has to touch the audience and express herself beautifully on the ice.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko is a supreme artist!

I am excited to see her perform "Kill Bill" to it's fullest! Skated to it's full potential-this program will be a monster.

I consider myself one of her biggest fans ever and I just love her so much.

I am excited for the World's showdown this year with Akiko, Ashley and Mao bringing it!

I love these girls so much.

I would also love it if she had more command as a champion this year.

I see Ashley, Mao and even Akiko breaking the 200 points if they skate to their best in the Olympics.

==========================