Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Members in the path of Sandy - how're you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Hi, all!

No time to write. I'm back at work for the first time in a week and must catch up. But I wanted to check in and see how all of you are. We lost power for four days or so and still have no heat at home. Still no cable or internet at home, so no way to get GS tidings. This was my first chance to check in. We're better off than some, by a long shot. Anyone with a roof and walls is better off than some. Poor southern New Jersey. And the temps are now hovering around freezing at night. Stay strong, everyone!
    I was just worrying about you last night to the other mods! So glad to read you've "weathered the storm"!

Glad you're OK, Olympia!

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    My dad got power back Saturday night and I brought him back home on Sunday. His side of town was put on an emergency list because there are two roads to get and and out if his town and one of those roads collapsed. Hoping this next storm goes out to sea and doesn't hit us again!!

Custom Title
    Still no heat at home but no shortage of chocolate, so am okay. Since even my office is drafty, I am sitting here in my many sweaters, my woolen hood with neck attachment (I think it's a ski covering of some kind--I got it in a remnants bin at a discount shop), and my leg warmers, and I've just turned on the space heater. Mmmmm! And I'm about to hunt around on YouTube for some Russian opera.

Glad to hear your father is safely home, sillylionlove. Hope everyone else is settled in and cozy.

I got power back on Saturday approximately 11pm - 5 days and 3.5 hours. So PSE&G met their 7 - 10 days estimate for my household. Everyone in my extended family had power back by Saturday, as well. My uncle & aunt's phone still is non-operational because the outside line was ripped.

Office is still closed. Telecommuting really doesn't work well when you're trying to resolve problems. We tried Skype, but 1 of 4 of us couldn't be heard during a group call. We tried our conference line, but you don't know when someone's going to talk; so, we're stumbling all over each other. It's hard enough to communicate when we're all in the same building - it's probably 4 times harder when we're all in a variety of locations. Also, the tech group had to remote implement an emulator for people to use on their personal PC's or Mac's. Problem is that the emulator doesn't work the same as the one on our corporate machines - so, I'm trying to figure out work arounds for a tool I don't even have, and, of course, the incompatibility is related to a key function that must be completed before Wed 7pm.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    My dad got power back Saturday night and I brought him back home on Sunday. His side of town was put on an emergency list because there are two roads to get and and out if his town and one of those roads collapsed. Hoping this next storm goes out to sea and doesn't hit us again!!
    glad Dad's ok!

I have a hole in my shed roof. THought about putting a tarp over it, but then I realized that there's no way I can do it myself and even if someone else was around to help, they'd have to climb on the tangle of trees that broke the shed roof. Since my knee has been re-injured, I'm not up to climbing. In general, I think it's too risky for anyone to climb on the debris to put a tarp on - I wouldn't want anyone to fall because the debris shifted. The only thing of value is a lawn tractor that we haven't used in years, which should be able to tolerate getting rained on. Prediction for this week's nor-easter is 1 - 2 " of snow for my area of NJ. Since it's supposed to warm up right after that, the only real concern is the wind.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Stay safe, and please don't climb on the shed!

Our one remaining problem is that there is a huge (like half a hickory tree) tree limb balanced on my son's telephone line. The telephone company will not do anything about it, and the tree guy can't get to it in time for this next storm.

why won't the telephone company do anything? they would have to here in AK (though most of ours, I think, are underground).

Because they are a private company & they don't want to, I guess. Because in CT, they don't have to, because the line is not broken.

The problem is that the limb is big enough to pull the service off the pole in the next wind storm, which is coming tonight. The electric company cut the power line and re-led it over top of the limb. The phone company refuses to do that. If they would get the wire out, the tree man would take care of the limb, but as it is now, the tree man won't do the wires, and the phone company won't do trees, so my son is just stuck with the situation. I hope to heck he doesn't try to do something himself.

they should have a bonfire...

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Stay safe, and please don't climb on the shed!

Our one remaining problem is that there is a huge (like half a hickory tree) tree limb balanced on my son's telephone line. The telephone company will not do anything about it, and the tree guy can't get to it in time for this next storm.
    I definitely have no intention of climbing on the shed or the debris. The insurance adjuster is coming out on Saturday and I'm hoping that they'll say to wreck it and replace it. Technically, the township owns the trees that fell onto the shed - I'll have to ask the adjuster if I need to notify the town, etc, to haul away the fallen trees.

I'm really surprised that the electric company didn't remove the limb since it seems that it would compromise it - even if they did move it above. I hope it doesn't fall on anyone - then I wonder if the utility company could be sued for not removing it since they were aware of it...... Maybe your son should look into that angle. Also, he should report it to the township. Who knows, they are so busy (at least in my area) that they might view it as a low priority situation.

Custom Title
    And now it's snowing!

They're closing our office early, but I'm staying as long as I can because I have internet and heat here. Heyang, I hope your office situation improves. It makes such a difference to be able to get to where everyone else is and to talk with them. My sympathies to you!

Son's trying several angles, including collecting from his insurance. He might call the town tree warden, for that matter, even though the tree was wholly on his property, it is affecting public utilities.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 11-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Sometimes I feel like I'm from another country... A tree WARDEN????????

severe winds and 3-4 inches and snow tomorow or precip 100% People are disgusted. So hard on the old and elderly with little help. My apt is freezing-thats life.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast