Members in the path of Sandy - how're you doing? | Golden Skate

Members in the path of Sandy - how're you doing?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
check in and tell us, MD and NJ how the storm looks and how you are. May we lose no life this time around...

I hope everyone in the danger zone is battened down and has enough food, water, and emergency lighting. I have enough food for awhile, and if things go on too long, I can subsist on the trick-or-treat candy I've stocked up on for Wednesday. I'm sure by then the neighbor kids will be bouncing off the walls with cabin fever, and they'll be showing up in their witch costumes and Spidey masks with desperation in their eyes and chocolate already on their little fingertips.

Until then, thoughts and prayers for everyone in the area. May you and your loved ones remain safe and dry and your homes remain undamaged.

heyang

Record Breaker
I've bread, peanut butter and water. The freezer is loaded with containers of frozen water - to save the food longer if the power goes out. I have assorted batteries and a battery powered radio. Went out and bought a car adapter to charge my cellphone, although we still have our land lines and corded phones in the house. I've got a few handcrank radios too. In addition, I have a propane camping stove if we find that we want to try to cook stuff that has thawed from the freezer and a couple propane lanterns.

As long as a tree doesn't fall on anything of value and no water comes in the house, I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

If cable goes out, I have DVD's to watch. If the power goes out, my Kindle is lighted and fully charged, as are my iPad and laptop (although the wi-fi won't be on, I can play games and read books.)

Office is officially closed tomorrow; so, no need to get up early to check.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Doing ok here so far. All the electronics are charged. The storm is going to be directly hitting us here in south jersey. Was on Long Island yesterday preparing my dads house. He lives on the Long Island sound and they are predicting a 12 foot storm surge! I have bread, peanut butter, jelly and cereal I can eat without milk! But I have milk. It's not going to be pretty!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doing ok here so far. All the electronics are charged. The storm is going to be directly hitting us here in south jersey. Was on Long Island yesterday preparing my dads house. He lives on the Long Island sound and they are predicting a 12 foot storm surge! I have bread, peanut butter, jelly and cereal I can eat without milk! But I have milk. It's not going to be pretty!

Please stay safe and if they tell you to evacuate, DO IT. Check in when you can safely do so! praying for everyone in Sandy's path.

heyang

Record Breaker
Please stay safe and if they tell you to evacuate, DO IT. Check in when you can safely do so! praying for everyone in Sandy's path.

From the news, I know that some people ignored the evacuation orders in NYC because nothing happened the last time (Irene). Personally, I'd rather be safe and slightly inconvenienced vs sorry and desparate.

Before I go to bed tonight, I"m going to clean the bathtub and fill it with water. I'm hoping we don't loose power at all or at least not til tomorrow night.

Right now, not much is happening in Central NJ, but I'm not near the shore (It would take me an hour to drive to any of the beaches). My house is on a flood plain, but the reason for the flood plain is also why I haven't (knock on wood) ever had water in the house. HOpe it stays true.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We just got home from visiting friends in Oregon. More or less, we're battened down here in CT. We're near the beaches, so the worry is the storm surge. It isn't really supposed to affect us till tomorrow AM.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In Philly, we're just hoping that Sandy is outta here ASAP! Everyone, stay safe!

The first high tide is about here. The next one is the tough one, this evening. Everyone, stay strong and safe. Thanks for praying for us, Toni!

Heyang, what a clever idea, to freeze the water to use as insulation in the fridge. My fridge is chancy at the best of times, so I don't have much that's perishable in there this weekend. The two yogurts and the hummus will be the first foods to tackle if I lose power. Fortunately, I have a gas stove, so that should stay usable. I also have lots of protein powder for my smoothies. And that trick-or-treat candy, which thus far is unopened.

And I have homework! Plus my Agatha Christies to reread.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Massachusetts has had lots of coastal flooding and the Vineyard looks underwater. I live 14 stories up and we have had gusts rattling the window and lots of rain. It just hit cape may and atlantic city looks awful. Boston stations ignore Worcester 60 miles in mile in. I am told this bldg has a generator. I don't expect to lose power but if I do I'll head home which so far is ok. My cat does not like the weather. The darkness and rain and sleepless night has me depressed as when we will see the sun? I cannot cope with all these natural disasters and how we must take them all serious. I have plenty water, enough food and so far TV and all electricity. about 300,000 people without power in MA but it is not over here. The Coast is expecting second high tide at 12. We had 80mph winds and the eye hit land way down in Cape May. Sandy is a monster. Please God help those who would not evacuate when told, esp in NJ!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I can't help but wonder how the New Yorkers and New Jersey folks are...do any have power? This is horrible and it is destruction all the time. Please tell us if you r safe, how your area is. It seems lower Manhattan and Atlantic city are under water. Est 3 million in northeast east coast w/out power. This seems like another Halloween horror show. What is happening to our world?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
friends of mine in Jersey have wind and rain, but still have power. she used to post on here, but not for several years as she doesn't follow skating anymore.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I can't help but wonder how the New Yorkers and New Jersey folks are...do any have power? This is horrible and it is destruction all the time. Please tell us if you r safe, how your area is. It seems lower Manhattan and Atlantic city are under water. Est 3 million in northeast east coast w/out power. This seems like another Halloween horror show. What is happening to our world?

I'm in NY and have power, but I live in uptown Manhattan. Large swaths of the city below Midtown are without power and there was some serious flooding going on. What's worrying is that parts of the subway system have been significantly flooded by the hurricane--it could take days to pump out the water and for the MTA to be up and running again which may cripple millions of us who depend on the subway to go to work and school. Fortunately school's been canceled for tomorrow at least, but I have no idea what's going to happen on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Now theyre saying that new york will have to deal with a rat infestation as all the rats in the subway headed above ground during the flooding.... Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
NJ is awful, and even the great lakes have high winds and 20 foot seas on a lake. The HMS Bounty of the movie and the first 'Pirate of Carib" movie went down in rough seas. The Captain is one of three missing. He is a seasoned veteran sailor who isjudged this storm like all who would not evacuate. The firefirgherrs enclave in a town in NewYork that lost 32 ffighters had 100 homes go up in flames last night. New York is on sea level on the edge of the ocean. Manhattan needs to undertand this will happen again as will Atlantic city. With global warming and its chaos it is not safe to live near the coast. As usual people are not getting what these storms mean for humanity on Earth.

I think we have a several memebers fron NJ and New York without power. Please plray for those waiting to be rescued esp in NJ. They did not evacuate-human nature I guess.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Survived the storm. Very little damage and we never lost power. However the jersey shore and pretty much been destroyed. I have been off work the past two days and now I am off tomorrow too. New York City sustained some real damage as well from flood waters.

My dad on Long Island has some water in his basement but there are so many trees down they don't know when they will get power back.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Survived the storm. Very little damage and we never lost power. However the jersey shore and pretty much been destroyed. I have been off work the past two days and now I am off tomorrow too. New York City sustained some real damage as well from flood waters.

My dad on Long Island has some water in his basement but there are so many trees down they don't know when they will get power back.

good to see you weathered the storm well!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
CT still has 469,000 homes without power as of 8 pm Tuesday.

We finally got back to our house today-there's quite a lot of clean up issues, and the furnace isn't working yet because the cellar flooded.

However, we're all in one piece, more or less.