Adelina Sotnikova | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Me too. I've always tried to avoid her thread even though I enjoyed her performance at Sochi better than Yuna. Personally I prefer Caro to be the OGM but it doesn't matter now. What matters is I hope Adelina and get over her mentality and deliver clean performances again. I hope to see that fire and energy in her programs next season.
I wanted Yuna to defend her title, but the way her craziest fans are treating every potential rival (Adelina most notably, but also Mao at times) has been... off-putting. I went from not really being invested in Adelina to wanting her to skate well in the coming seasons, because all she did in Sochi was (gasp!) deliver some great skates while her competitors did the same.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I didn't agree with the Sochi result at all, but the way people have gone after Adelina is completely wrong. It wasn't as if she held a gun to the judges' heads or bribed them, she was just competing. It was her duty and her mission. If anything, how she's responded to the public outcry has only made me respect and like her more. I look forward to seeing her new programs this season. Go get'em, Adelinotchka!! :clap:

starlight97

Final Flight
Yes she said it herself yesterday, she had to create a new one.

I'm also one of those who didn't agree with the Sochi results, I think it was... not a fix, but very veryyy generous towards Russians.
But that's over now. All the skaters are over it, Yuna is over it, she actually was over it right after the results came up.

I also agree. She's a little girl who had the skate of her life, not a monster.
And while people like Tarasova chose to be immature and disrespectful towards Yuna and call her costume "from an other time" and say she didn't like both of her programs and thinks she should have gotten even less marks than she got :)rolleye:) Adelina never had unkind words for anybody.
So go girl!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Even if it was proven there was a huge conspiracy during Sochi, that is still no excuse to have any ill-will towards Adelina, as everyone else has already said. She couldn't have had anything to do with anything, she is just a teenage skater and all she did was skate the heck out of her programs. Anyone that personally attacks her is just a low human being, there is no excuse for what lengths a lot of people have gone to.

I hope she has good people around her and a good mindset to not let these things get to her too badly.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Even if it was proven there was a huge conspiracy during Sochi, that is still no excuse to have any ill-will towards Adelina, as everyone else has already said. She couldn't have had anything to do with anything, she is just a teenage skater and all she did was skate the heck out of her programs. Anyone that personally attacks her is just a low human being, there is no excuse for what lengths a lot of people have gone to.

I hope she has good people around her and a good mindset to not let these things get to her too badly.

From the posts on social media, her fellow skaters seem to like and respect her. You can see her in pics with the Shibs, Caro, Jeremy, Mao, and many others while performing on the road. That's great that she has such camaraderie. She may not have been a popular winner (outside of Russia and the journalistic debate), but her peers think otherwise. That's a level of support she needs to continue and grow as a competitor and artist.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
i think it is particularly tasteless that yuna kim hasn't distanced herself from her fans' rancor & called them out on it. Surely she knows about it. She could have lowered the amount of hate directed at adelina. Not very queen-like.

anyways i do like this program. wonder what was up with the jumps.

I was just a quiet lurker here and also this is the Adelina folder but I can't help but comment on this one. Yuna cannot control the actions of her fans especially rabid/crazy ones. I think it's really unfair for Yuna that you blame her for the actions of other people. Also, the actions of the fans do not reflect Yuna's opinions and character. Didn't she say she's over Sochi results quite a few times already? Isn't that enough on her part? For the record, I also do not agree with the hate that Adelina gets. I think she's a good skater, a quite powerful jumper too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I was just a quiet lurker here and also this is the Adelina folder but I can't help but comment on this one. Yuna cannot control the actions of her fans especially rabid/crazy ones. I think it's really unfair for Yuna that you blame her for the actions of other people. Also, the actions of the fans do not reflect Yuna's opinions and character. Didn't she say she's over Sochi results quite a few times already? Isn't that enough on her part? For the record, I also do not agree with the hate that Adelina gets. I think she's a good skater, a quite powerful jumper too.
Yeah, I am sure even if Yuna knew about this and called out to her fanatics to stop, they would continue harassing Adelina anyways. They are fanatics, they don't need reason. For sure Yuna never wants her fans to treat other competitors that way. She is just an introverted lady. It's good that she is over all of those burdens now. I hope Adelina the best as well.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Yuna crazy fans wanted to bash Adelina everywhere and do other people to feel the same hate to her but I think they get undesirable effect that many people including me started to cheer Adelina to do her best this season and show them that she is really good :biggrin:
I hope Adelina wins world title and Yuna crazy fans will explode inside :laugh:

sunnybear

Rinkside
I was rather indifferent about Adelina before, but after reading some interviews and knowing more about her life and her sister, I find myself liking her more and more.

And especially when she’s still getting so much hate for something that wasn’t her fault, it made me want to root for her. I think those people need to realise that Adelina is not some kind of monster and that she’s actually a really sweet and caring girl inside. It's the judges that are to blame, not Adelina.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:yay: She did the ice bucket challenge!!!! She looks really good here too :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:clap: Have I mentioned how wonderful Adelina looks with her hair down (and rocking the casual clothes)? Too bad they have to pin/tie up the hair in competitions.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
She will gain strength I'm sure from all the mis-directed hatred. That said, if she should continue to compete through Pyeongchang, that will surely be a test of her mettle.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't think she needs to compete until Pyeongchang to prove herself. I think she just needs to show a few more near-clean skates to prove that Sochi wasn't a fluke. A European and World title wouldn't be bad either. ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, personally I think Yuna has no obligation to do this or do that for Adelina, as well as Adelina has no obligation to do anything for some fanatics to get over. They will never get over, that's why they are fanatics. Just forget it all. They both get on with their lives, that is the case.

SashaSpin

Spectator
The more Koreans hate on Adelina, the worse the chances are for judging reform. Blaming the skater does nothing to change the results or the judging regulations.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I was rather indifferent about Adelina before, but after reading some interviews and knowing more about her life and her sister, I find myself liking her more and more.

And especially when she’s still getting so much hate for something that wasn’t her fault, it made me want to root for her. I think those people need to realise that Adelina is not some kind of monster and that she’s actually a really sweet and caring girl inside. It's the judges that are to blame, not Adelina.
The scoring system used rewards skaters who rack up points more than the sakets who skate more elegant and beautifully like Yuna. Adelina had a higher scoring long program and was rewarded for that. No one would deny Yuna skated more beautifully than Adelina just like no one should deny that Adelina skated with more passion, more athleticism with greater speed and higher jumps and she also skated a more difficult program than Yuna did and was rewarded for it. When Lysacek edged Plushenko the greatest male skater of all time for gold in Vancouver some people were upet like I saw but we got over it and moved on. The same thing needs to happen here. The continued hate for Sotnikova is ridiculous. I rememner the NBC TV analyst explaning how and why Adelina had a significantly higher scoring long program and than Yuna did before the long program and that was basically the difference when both skaters skated well and they did. Yuna was elegant and classy in Sochi but lacked fire in some peoples eyes and Adelina was clearly more athletic and more passionate with a more difficult higher scoring routine and she was rewarded for it.