Adelina Sotnikova | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

anyanka

Record Breaker
Let's face it guys. Most of the dislikes are there not because people disliked the program per se, but rather, that they simply hate Adelina for what happened in Sochi, and unfairly so. Not all of the crazies are Korean people but it is also not wrong to say that most of them are Korean judging from the language used in the comments. It will happen no matter how well she skates and it is highly unlikely that they will ever think that their actions are “pathetic” or “creepy”. If internet crazies were capable of empathy and rational thought, we wouldn't have to deal with cyberbullying.

HOWEVER, I feel that the most important thing for us as fans of Adelina is to recognise that the best way to support her is to believe in her, celebrate her achievements and take the higher road. Waging a war on internet crazies will not get us anywhere. Generalising an entire nation will only make it worse (I know that even Mao has Korean fans. :D)

My only wish for Adelina is for her to skate a program that will make her think, “That was the skate of my life. It doesn't get any better than this.” I don't care how many dislikes or bad comments she gets in it, the most important thing is how she feels about herself.

Thanks for this sunnybear. Beautifully written. And excellent point about Mao having Korean fans, she's known as "wow Mao" over there amongst my Korean friends who also happen to like Yuna.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, what's the diminutive nickname for "Adelina"? I saw that it could be "Adelinotchka". For Elena it's "Lena", for Irina it's "Ira". Would Adelina be "Lina" or something similar?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, what's the diminutive nickname for "Adelina"? I saw that it could be "Adelinotchka". For Elena it's "Lena", for Irina it's "Ira". Would Adelina be "Lina" or something similar?

The basic one (although Adelina is not a basic but quite a rare name in Russia) is Adel. Lina is possible but it refers to a wider spectrum of names first of all to much more common "Angelina".

Adelinochka would be too long. But it is quite legitimate same as Lenochka for Elena or Anechka for Anna (sorry, you won't find "Anyanka" here :))

anyanka

Record Breaker
The basic one (although Adelina is not a basic but quite a rare name in Russia) is Adel. Lina is possible but it refers to a wider spectrum of names first of all to much more common "Angelina".

Adelinochka would be too long. But it is quite legitimate same as Lenochka for Elena or Anechka for Anna (sorry, you won't find "Anyanka" here :))

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Very clever, samkrut. ;)

"Adel" is simple, elegant and perfect. Like the singer. How about next season, her FS is to "Someone Like You"? Wouldn't that be beautiful?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I guess, she should utilize this. Adel is a great singer and quite popular in the West - could bring Adelina closer to the audience. As for her choice of Lara Fabian, I am personally not sure - a little too much drama.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I guess, she should utilize this. Adel is a great singer and quite popular in the West - could bring Adelina closer to the audience. As for her choice of Lara Fabian, I am personally not sure - a little too much drama.

It's dramatic, overwhelming music that should be used sparingly, but let's see how she leverages it. That finishing pose when she slams into the board could be "love-it-or-hate-it". Artistically it's a big gamble. If she lands everything and skates to it with feeling and energy, it would be powerful, but if she doesn't land her elements it would be just be a mess. Plus she's got big shoes to fill, Weaver / Poje made it their signature piece a couple of years ago.

Mony

On the Ice
I agree, as her fan, we can only continue to support her and let her know she has great fans. I can't wait to see both her programs in their entirety.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Word is Adelina is injured and has withdrawn from the Russian Cup. Here is a terribly translated brief about it.

Leaders of the Russian national figure skating - Olympic champion Adelina Sotnikova and defending champion Russia Maxim Kovtun - will not take part in the second stage of the Cup of Russia on October 6-10 in Yoshkar-Ola, which have been previously announced. Causes - Sotnikova injury and problems with boots in Kovtun. This was the special correspondent of the portal TEAM RUSSIA-2014 Mary Staroverova said coach athletes Elena Buyanova.

Anyone have any more info on this?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Oh wow, all of the Olympic champions (excluding D/W and JuliaLip) are injured....

K everyone, we need to bubblewrap all our faves 'til their GP events

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Best wishes to Adelina. I hope she's ready by the GP, but if she's not, I wouldn't want her to team to push her to skate injured. (Argh, quite a lot of injuries... V/T, B/S, Yuzuru, and now Adelina...)

Mangomango

On the Ice
It's no surprise that she has an injury! Her jumps are still unstable and it hasn't been long since she recovered from the whole growth spurt thing.
I personally hate the drama that she presents on ice. It's neither artistic nor attractive, and her music choice isn't helping.
But yes, I can't wait for her comeback because I feel the need to know whether she can present anything close to the score that she received in the Olympics.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's no surprise that she has an injury! Her jumps are still unstable and it hasn't been long since she recovered from the whole growth spurt thing.
I personally hate the drama that she presents on ice. It's neither artistic nor attractive, and her music choice isn't helping.
But yes, I can't wait for her comeback because I feel the need to know whether she can present anything close to the score that she received in the Olympics.

You do realize this is a fan thread right?