Adelina Sotnikova | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova

Mony

On the Ice
Here is an article about the injury in english - http://news.yahoo.com/olympic-skating-champ-sotnikova-grand-prix-211912532.html

Here is aan interview with her in Russian - http://rsport.ru/interview/20141110/787446480.html

Here is an translation of the russian interview done by TAHBKA on great skate - Credit to her for this

AS: I took it very badly. I wanted so much to compete in... anywhere, I just want to compete already! After the Russian Cup in Sochi where I was able to skate a good LP I was so eager and willing to show my programmes in the international competition. I revived all my elements which we decided no to integrate into the programme in Sochi to give my foot a rest. When Elena Buyanovna went to China with Maksim all was well. The leg still hurt but I tried not to mind it. I was following all the doctors instructions and working with them.

Q: How were you injured?
AS: I was skating my LP in the practice last Thursday. I have a 3F in the second part of it. When taking off I heard, or, rather, felt a flip in my foot. I landed and fell on the ice- it hurt so badly. I was so frightened. I was helped off the ice and taken to the doctors. After the first MRT I was diagnozed with a torn ankle ligament.

Q: They put the cast on the spot?
AS: Knowing how often I would put pressure on my foot just checking whether it became better already and damaging the ligaments even more I needed that cast! It's important to let things heal. I will have to stay in the cast for 3 weeks, but in Wednesday I will be checked by another doctor, perhaps things will turn out not that bad.

Q: What were you doing all those days? Watching the GP in China?
AS: How can I sit down, I want to walk! No, I was practicing a bit. First I was hysterical - I didn't understand why it had to happen.

Q: When you learned the MRT results what was your first thought?
AS: None. I was just crying. They were trying to calm me down. The first question I asked was is it possible to put a blade to the cast so I can skate. The doctors must have thought I was crazy.

Q: Your coach Elena Buyanova repeated several times how badly yuo wanted to skate in CoR. Why? What are you trying to prove?
AS: Nothing. I just want to show my programmes on the international level. If our judges said my skating became better I wanted the international judges to see it. But guess it's just not to happen yet. I hope to be well for the nationals and skate in Sochi. I will do my best to get better as soon as possible

This part - "The first question I asked was is it possible to put a blade to the cast so I can skate. The doctors must have thought I was crazy" - I would think she was crazy as well. That pic of her ankle - geez, hope she rests it and gets well soon.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder, she over-trained? So scary, it's like injuries couldn't be prevented.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for the interview, Mony. And to TAHBKA for the translation.

The first question I asked was is it possible to put a blade to the cast so I can skate. The doctors must have thought I was crazy.
:eek: Adelina, not you too! How could she even contemplate doing triple jumps in a cast?

Meoima

Match Penalty
All Olympic champions are crazy. Look at Yuzuru. I am not surprised if Adelina might want to do the same.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Pantene or L'Oreal needs to call her for their next shampoo or hair colour commercial! But in all seriousness, she looks amazing~ :agree:

On another note, does anyone have a link of one of her coach's interview where Elena talks about Adelina and her thoughts about CoC? I really liked that interview since there's a part where she said that she's not barring Adelina from any opportunities that is given to her. I think it really shows how Buyanova also cares for Adelina's life outside the rink.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
k nvm found that interview (finally)

Interview with Elena Buyanova by Mariya Vorobiova for rsport-ru
amazingly translated by TAHbKA in FSU :clap::bow:

here's the part that I liked:
MV: How were you able to change her set of mind?
EB: Adelina is a very strong and concentrated person. I wish every coach had such an athlete. Her inner strength is bigger than anything else. Situations as such in which she is now will not get her off her route. I wasn't making her do things this season, but was guiding and explaining things to her. She had lots of invitations to various actions which we didn't decline because Adelina has a right to know what the life outside sports looks like. It gave her more emotions and she was working even harder and was more inspired. We were able to find the right balance and she was practicing great.

Last edited:

starlight97

Final Flight
Elena Buyanova sounds just like the kind of coach an emotional girl like Adelina needs.
She seems to follow a very motherly route when it comes to interacting with Adelina and I think this kind of hold and warmth is what works well.
I still remember her standing at the boards before Adelina's FS at Europeans and she was holding her hands and putting their foreheads together- I didn't follow Adelina closely back then and I didn't know Buyanova well, but one could literally see how Adelina drew strength and calmness from that and
I remember thinking "What a beautiful coach-student relationship this skater has."

Last edited:

Mony

On the Ice
Last edited: