Who is Russia's best skater going into Sochi? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Who is Russia's best skater going into Sochi?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
About Liza and a possible 3A - I was wondering, when one of the BESP commentators marvelled at the height of her 2A (I forget when this was), and I couldn't help but think of what Macassar88 had said about having asked her about it - whether she was training the 3A. Does she normally get good height on her 2A? If she's regularly getting good height on it, could that be a sign that she's training a 3A? and are her 2As high enough that she'd be able to get another revolution in there relatively - and I mean relatively! - easily? What do you people think? I really have no idea about such things, so I'd really like to know what you all think. :)
I think she has the best 2A in the world at the moment, talking about the height, she surely has the possibility of adding one revolution there, absolutely! The issue is about how much she's training it, the technique in it (not that she doesn't have a good technique in the 2A, but doing a triple is a totally different thing!), the mental strength that it requires; I think that the media would be talking a lot more about it if she was really planning to include it in her programs however...

Macassar88

Medalist
About the 3A, I just meant that I feel like, with Mishin as a coach, she's more likely to be able to improve her 3A than add transitions and improve her choreography and skating skills.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think she has the best 2A in the world at the moment, talking about the height, she surely has the possibility of adding one revolution there, absolutely! The issue is about how much she's training it, the technique in it (not that she doesn't have a good technique in the 2A, but doing a triple is a totally different thing!), the mental strength that it requires; I think that the media would be talking a lot more about it if she was really planning to include it in her programs however...

Thanks for the reply! I didn't really think she'd be adding it this season, either, I think she's got enough on her plate as is. It was more curiosity, really. And I will confess that I do hope she will do it eventually, when other issues from this season have been sorted, or stabilised. I do think the 3A in the ladies' adds an element of excitement, and of now, it's gone extinct. And my totally uneducated guess was that, of the current ladies, she'd be the most likely to bring it off. Yes, I know it's rather unfashionable to value jumps and the thrill they give - but... well... I do. :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gosvyani's SP score http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/2012/MNNTC13/SEG014.HTM
51.16 - I think she fell on too ?

and this is just a B Competition
can you imagine how low her pcs will be at Euros ? not a wise decision !

Polina K. competed in JGP and was a JGP Final Bronze medalist
Gosviyani was a substitute in JGP as she had poor results at the start of the season

51+ for a SP with 3t-2t combo is actually a pretty decent score, should get her into the penultimate group at Euros actually. I think Polina got 48 or 49 for her SP at Euros last year. Also Polina's bronze at JGPF was more of a fluke than an actual good showing on her part, her score was only 151, 10 points below the silver medalist and way off of Julia's winning score, and speaks more to the severity of Lam and Shoji's meltdowns and the big hole Li dug herself in by falling twice in the SP and having to skate first in the FS than to how well Polina skated at that event. Her FS was pretty good there, but the SP was a mess. Basically she was the 3rd best in a 6 person field at an event where half the field bombed. A nice achievement for sure, but I don't think it really gave her much if any momentum going into Euros, her first senior competition, where she consequently skated very well.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liza was sick at the GPF and that may have been the reason she lost weight.

Suggesting that a coach monitor what a skater eats gives one pause. That's one way to trigger eating disorders.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Liza ' s body has changed after the summer not because she was not eating properly but because she is growing up to a lady now and that includes gaining weight too and shaping more womanly, and I m glad both her coaches let her grow normally