Who is Russia's best skater going into Sochi? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who is Russia's best skater going into Sochi?

Barb

Record Breaker
only for look to Julia you cant say the body type that she will get it, I dont see nothing to think she will be like the Sasha´s body type, if we would see to her parents and sibilings is different, its a better guide. Mirai and Caroline looked more petite and skinny than Julia at 14 yr old. I dont say that is impossible not lose the jumps but there are big probailities that growth spurt affect in a negative way her carer.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
only for look to Julia you cant say the body type that she will get it, I dont see nothing to think she will be like the Sasha´s body type, if we would see to her parents and sibilings is different, its a better guide. Mirai and Caroline looked more petite and skinny than Julia at 14 yr old. I dont say that is impossible not lose the jumps but there are big probailities that growth spurt affect in a negative way her carer.

This is true and there is a lot to be said for your body growing to whatever size it is meant to be. Mirai and Caroline are not the only examples of girls who are very short and skinny minnie as young teenagers that grow to be rather normal/average sized, in terms of both height and weight (at least by athlete standards) by the time they are in their late teens. I was the same way. Sometimes girls at that age remain tiny but others will grow a lot, and some do their bulk of their growing all at once (e.g. Mirai, who grew hugely from 2007-2009 but has not changed that much since) while others have a few major spurts (like Caroline, who shot up in height one season, then filled out a lot the next, and Kanako, who has grown and filled out in smaller spurts over the past couple seasons) and still others are lucky and go through puberty gradually without experiencing really noticeable or major changes all at once (like Mao or Yuna).

It's funny, the podium at the JGP Bosphorous from 2010, Kiri, Christina, and Sofia are all about the same size/height http://stat001.ameba.jp/user_images/20091020/17/arcatoa/f2/0c/j/o0465046310281810960.jpg, and now 2 years later they look so different, Gao towers over the other two and while still willowy is much more muscular compared to then, while Kiri is petite and appears to have not gotten much taller since but is now more compact and muscular in build, and then Sofia is similarly petite but very slight in her build, maybe even looks thinner now compared to then. Looking at Julia there is a good possibility she will remain very petite, but it might not happen, and if she does grow a lot more, we don't know when it will happen, how it will effect her, and whether it will be a short, aggressive stage where she's really out of it then bounces back, if it will be a long-term gradual adjustment process, or if she will get through it with little difficulties at all.

Julia might be okay because physically, to me at least, she does look her age, whereas someone like Mirai, Caroline, Christina Gao, etc. at 13 and 14 did not look their age but much younger, maybe 10 or 12. So sometimes looking very young and being very small at that age speaks to someone not having hit puberty yet rather than being just a naturally small person, and oftentimes it it these girls that end up growing to be bigger people as adults (bigger people being relative, in my experience, most of these girls that grow late usually end up pretty average height, maybe 5'4" to 5'6", but this seems taller due to their being so tiny as young teens), they just undergo the changes at an older age. Julia has grown height wise but also has become studier in her build these past few seasons, and while she certainly doesn't have a womanly figure yet, she doesn't look like a 10 or 12 year old to me, meaning she might luck out and undergo puberty changes gradually, which may help her skating career. Yuna was the same way, she definitely looked different at 20 compared to 14, and while the height and weight she added between those years was likely a lot less than some others or is usual, she definitely did grow and mature during that time, its more you can't pinpoint to a certain year or season and say that was when she grew or filled out, it was more gradual and thus she was able to keep her skills.

L

lowtherlore

...(on Julia) while she certainly doesn't have a womanly figure yet, she doesn't look like a 10 or 12 year old to me, meaning she might luck out and undergo puberty changes gradually, which may help her skating career...

That's what I think is likely to happen, too.

prettykeys

Medalist
Russia's best female skater?

I have to say, I favour Julia Lipnitskaia. To me, she seems to have an innate musicality by the way she times her movements and flourishes, and the technique on her jumps--while they may not be perfect--are beautiful to me. Very delicate touch and not muscled through. Her sense of balance is evidently well-developed, so even while her skating skills may not yet be as strong as some of the veteran skaters, she looks stable and secure and this is appealing to me.

In addition, personality-wise she seems like a sweet introverted girl who is nonetheless fairly confident in her abilities without projecting any kind of diva-ness. Yes, it is unfortunate that her flexibility is not utilized optimally in her choreography and oftentimes put on display randomly, but I wonder if in the future Tatiana Tarasova might coach her a bit because I imagine Tarasova would/could do wonders with her on the presentation.

In summary, I don't think she "skates right through the music"; I just think she needs to be taught how to express herself better in an outward manner and also be directed to use her talents in a more choreographically coherent way.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What I do worry about is that Julia spins so fast in the air on her jumps that if her body changes at all it is really going to impact her timing. I think a year from now she could be having to rework her jump technique to accommodate her maturing body.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
What I do worry about is that Julia spins so fast in the air on her jumps that if her body changes at all it is really going to impact her timing. I think a year from now she could be having to rework her jump technique to accommodate her maturing body.

She's 14 so in all likelihood she's not done growing. Puberty is different for everyone but most girls don't finish growing/filling out until 17 or as late as 19.

Watching her Finlandia performance, I paid close attention to her jumps. She rotates very quickly in the air which is a great thing but she doesn't get good height on her jumps. As of now, her quick rotation compensates for her lack of height. Some skaters gain height and muscle and it helps them in terms of power...this is the best case scenario for Julia. Worst case: she gains height and weight but isn't able to coax any more height out of her jumps in which case she'll rely on rotation and, with added weight and height, it's likely she won't rotate as fast.

Then again, who knows? Maybe she will change gradually and it won't affect her at all...we really have no way of knowing. But for me, due to her age and the way her skating looks now, I want to reserve judgment until she's done growing.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Is it just me, or does Liza look like she has a round body type that could easily become overweight and pear-shaped if she let herself go? That worry hit me when I was watching her at TEB. Not that she is anything but thin and fit now, but the roundness of her face and hips kind of worried me. I guess she is sort of like Slutskaya. I know Slutskaya's never been fat, but I think she has the body type that could blow up quite quickly.. an endomorph. Kind of like Charlie White or Maxim Shabalin too (and Max Shabalin pretty much IS fat now).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Is it just me, or does Liza look like she has a round body type that could easily become overweight and pear-shaped if she let herself go? That worry hit me when I was watching her at TEB. Not that she is anything but thin and fit now, but the roundness of her face and hips kind of worried me. I guess she is sort of like Slutskaya. I know Slutskaya's never been fat, but I think she has the body type that could blow up quite quickly.. an endomorph. Kind of like Charlie White or Maxim Shabalin too (and Max Shabalin pretty much IS fat now).

calling someone Fat is just too much, though I think Liza has Rachael Flatt body except taht her technique is superb, she has carried it through even as she fille dout this season,
this is her transitional age, so I don't think she will baloon that much as Slutskaya didnt also. Adelina is more womanly now, but even her narrow hips didnt help her with the jumps, I am most interested what Julia will look in a few years, she has the proportioned body type for a skater, her legs are not that long but just enough to spring her jumps

babayaga

On the Ice
I don't think she will. She appears to be a hard-worker and continued to fight to improve during her growth spurt.
Agree. I was happy to see she has all her jumps back including 3L3T even after her body changed. Many people speculated last season that she can only rotate her jumps because she is tiny. Well, they turned out to be wrong. Her excellent technique helped her to regain her form quickly, I am not worried about her any more.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Tania V in pairs is the top skater right now in Russia. All the baby ballerinas are in puberty and consistency problems plus maturing; and the veterans Leonova and Makarova look like they are yesterday's news. In fact, Russia might have trouble holding on to 3 spots - if 3 Japanese ladies, Yuna, Carolina, an American (probably Wagner who could be champ)and say a Finn beat them they are finished. Heck Osmond could beat them all too from Canada.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I think Tania V in pairs is the top skater right now in Russia. All the baby ballerinas are in puberty and consistency problems plus maturing; and the veterans Leonova and Makarova look like they are yesterday's news. In fact, Russia might have trouble holding on to 3 spots - if 3 Japanese ladies, Yuna, Carolina, an American (probably Wagner who could be champ)and say a Finn beat them they are finished. Heck Osmond could beat them all too from Canada.

Don't even start here:disapp: They ARE contenders,i.e. Rus girls, don't you agree?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

says a Canadian who said No Russian ladies will be in GPF this Season :laugh:, lol
Osmond ? Yes, with a 5 triple with inflation ;), Tuk has scored higher than Osmond btw
its too early, so hold your Canadian horses at the Olympics, Osmond isn't a guaranteed World contender yet either,
it might be a while before we see who will be finished :)

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I agree - one or two bad competitions - and that early in the season, too - is far too early to predict who is "finished". I know this - I'm a Joubert fan, after all. ;)

ETA - Oh, and I think Liza has amply demonstrated that she is far from "finished" - she's a fighter, and clawing her way back to form. Go, Liza! :)

ETA 2 - Because I forgot the title of the thread - Who's Russia's best skater going into Sochi? -... Well, Plushy, natch! :)

(Note: I'm a Plushy fan first, Brian fan second, just for general if-you're-curious-information. :) )

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I agree - one or two bad competitions - and that early in the season, too - is far too early to predict who is "finished". I know this - I'm a Joubert fan, after all. ;)

ETA - Oh, and I think Liza has amply demonstrated that she is far from "finished" - she's a fighter, and clawing her way back to form. Go, Liza! :)

ETA 2 - Because I forgot the title of the thread - Who's Russia's best skater going into Sochi? -... Well, Plushy, natch! :)

(Note: I'm a Plushy fan first, Brian fan second, just for general if-you're-curious-information. :) )

:thumbsup:

Yes, if you answer the exact question of the title, Plushy is the only response one can give. He is a skater for the ages, and no one else active at the moment is that. One or more of the young girls may prove to earn that title in the future, whether in 2014 or at a later date. But not at the current moment.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With Chan and Hanyu almost a lock for gold and silver (in one order or the other) and Fernandez, Takahashi, random #3 Japanese skater, all gunning for the bronze, I dont think Plushenko's hopes of even a medal are good at all. I was impressed with his level of skating at Europeans this past year, WAY above his Olympic performances, and would have easily won there, but unfortunately he waited too last to up his skating level and lose the overconfidence, the field now is many times above the lackluster Vancouver one and simply too strong for him at this point of his career.

So I would have to say one of the women, since while I dont neccessarily expect any of Lipnitskaya, Elizaveta, or Sotnikova to medal, I do think they have a better shot of sneaking out a womens medal than of winning a mens medal right now.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think Elizaveta has shown herself to be the real deal, musical, the complete package. But little Julia if she develops her performance ability may sneak up. Adelina to me is a Julia without the fierce competitiveness. These two have the triples, but Adelina is not the competitor that Liza and Julia are. I also must say that Leonova can be spectacular with the right material. At 21, she has good performance ability, and she really got me watching her at her recent GP event. She was suddenly sexy, seductive, performing and engagaing, and we know she can jump. We cannot rule out Aliona. Liza is really a mature skater for her age. What these 4 will be skating like by Sochi is anyone's guess. Weight changes, puberty and growth may change things for the three babies.

Today, I prefer Liza, but I respect and like Aliona in her drive. Which of these girls has the heart and consistency of the great Irina Slutskaya? I don't know, but that girl who has her heart will likely be the Russian girl on the podium in Sochi. Yes, I should have said female, and only irina Slutskaya of the past can be compared with hardware and longevity to Evgeny Plushenko. But Evgeny cannot possibly beat out the top 3 japanese men, Chan, Javier. If he does get a political medal, he will become the most controversial skater ever. SLC will pale in comparison. And no one remembers the foot tapping incident. He also may pull out of Olympics. If he and Artur or Sergei or someone gets Russia the two spots, I think he will pull out if he sees tnree men doing quad in SP and also quad combo plus quad in LP. Hanyu is capable of pushing all the japanese men away from gold and he is also capable of killing Chan. It will be a huge fight between Chan and Hanyu, if Chan can do the jumps under those conditions. The mens' skating will be awesome.

And so will the ladies. Liza is best now, butt something tells me she will be fighting weight issues all her life, and even in next two years. She is just so short. I love her spirit though, and Julia is a jumping bean. Same for Sotnikova. Neither girl has charm that you see with the artists in the world, Mao, Akiko, Ashley has it now, Liza, and Katelyn Osmond. Mirai is making a comeback and Gracie Gold's SP shows the charm she has with light music. At 17, she is in the group that the Russian girls should be wary of. Leonova has stood on the world podium. The 3 kids must show they are world podium material this year...who will it be? Liza I hope. Though Aliona certainly has grown on me with her hard work and maturing style.

Morozov's LP holds her back this year.

Last edited: