Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Who is Russia's best skater going into Sochi?

I agree - one or two bad competitions - and that early in the season, too - is far too early to predict who is "finished". I know this - I'm a Joubert fan, after all.

ETA - Oh, and I think Liza has amply demonstrated that she is far from "finished" - she's a fighter, and clawing her way back to form. Go, Liza!

ETA 2 - Because I forgot the title of the thread - Who's Russia's best skater going into Sochi? -... Well, Plushy, natch!

(Note: I'm a Plushy fan first, Brian fan second, just for general if-you're-curious-information. )
    Last edited by LRK; 11-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I agree - one or two bad competitions - and that early in the season, too - is far too early to predict who is "finished". I know this - I'm a Joubert fan, after all.

ETA - Oh, and I think Liza has amply demonstrated that she is far from "finished" - she's a fighter, and clawing her way back to form. Go, Liza!

ETA 2 - Because I forgot the title of the thread - Who's Russia's best skater going into Sochi? -... Well, Plushy, natch!

(Note: I'm a Plushy fan first, Brian fan second, just for general if-you're-curious-information. )

Custom Title
    Yes, if you answer the exact question of the title, Plushy is the only response one can give. He is a skater for the ages, and no one else active at the moment is that. One or more of the young girls may prove to earn that title in the future, whether in 2014 or at a later date. But not at the current moment.

Banned
    With Chan and Hanyu almost a lock for gold and silver (in one order or the other) and Fernandez, Takahashi, random #3 Japanese skater, all gunning for the bronze, I dont think Plushenko's hopes of even a medal are good at all. I was impressed with his level of skating at Europeans this past year, WAY above his Olympic performances, and would have easily won there, but unfortunately he waited too last to up his skating level and lose the overconfidence, the field now is many times above the lackluster Vancouver one and simply too strong for him at this point of his career.

So I would have to say one of the women, since while I dont neccessarily expect any of Lipnitskaya, Elizaveta, or Sotnikova to medal, I do think they have a better shot of sneaking out a womens medal than of winning a mens medal right now.

I think Elizaveta has shown herself to be the real deal, musical, the complete package. But little Julia if she develops her performance ability may sneak up. Adelina to me is a Julia without the fierce competitiveness. These two have the triples, but Adelina is not the competitor that Liza and Julia are. I also must say that Leonova can be spectacular with the right material. At 21, she has good performance ability, and she really got me watching her at her recent GP event. She was suddenly sexy, seductive, performing and engagaing, and we know she can jump. We cannot rule out Aliona. Liza is really a mature skater for her age. What these 4 will be skating like by Sochi is anyone's guess. Weight changes, puberty and growth may change things for the three babies.

Today, I prefer Liza, but I respect and like Aliona in her drive. Which of these girls has the heart and consistency of the great Irina Slutskaya? I don't know, but that girl who has her heart will likely be the Russian girl on the podium in Sochi. Yes, I should have said female, and only irina Slutskaya of the past can be compared with hardware and longevity to Evgeny Plushenko. But Evgeny cannot possibly beat out the top 3 japanese men, Chan, Javier. If he does get a political medal, he will become the most controversial skater ever. SLC will pale in comparison. And no one remembers the foot tapping incident. He also may pull out of Olympics. If he and Artur or Sergei or someone gets Russia the two spots, I think he will pull out if he sees tnree men doing quad in SP and also quad combo plus quad in LP. Hanyu is capable of pushing all the japanese men away from gold and he is also capable of killing Chan. It will be a huge fight between Chan and Hanyu, if Chan can do the jumps under those conditions. The mens' skating will be awesome.

And so will the ladies. Liza is best now, butt something tells me she will be fighting weight issues all her life, and even in next two years. She is just so short. I love her spirit though, and Julia is a jumping bean. Same for Sotnikova. Neither girl has charm that you see with the artists in the world, Mao, Akiko, Ashley has it now, Liza, and Katelyn Osmond. Mirai is making a comeback and Gracie Gold's SP shows the charm she has with light music. At 17, she is in the group that the Russian girls should be wary of. Leonova has stood on the world podium. The 3 kids must show they are world podium material this year...who will it be? Liza I hope. Though Aliona certainly has grown on me with her hard work and maturing style.

Morozov's LP holds her back this year.
    Last edited by skateluvr; 11-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Custom Title
    As of today

Plushenko
    Kavaguti-Smirnov
    Volosozhar-Trankov
    Bobrova-Solovev
    Ilinikh-Kasalapov
    Tuktamisheva
    Lipnizkaya
    Gachinski

Banned
    LOL Volosozhar & Trankov are 10 times more likely/certain to win a medal (they WILL win a medal of some color unless something drastic happens) and 10 times better a chance to win gold than any other Russian right now, including Plushenko. The dancers have way less chance of a medal than even the ladies do right now. Lastly Kavaguti & Smirnov above Voloszhar & Trankov right now, on what planet exactly?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    With Chan and Hanyu almost a lock for gold and silver (in one order or the other) and Fernandez, Takahashi, random #3 Japanese skater, all gunning for the bronze, I dont think Plushenko's hopes of even a medal are good at all. I was impressed with his level of skating at Europeans this past year, WAY above his Olympic performances, and would have easily won there, but unfortunately he waited too last to up his skating level and lose the overconfidence, the field now is many times above the lackluster Vancouver one and simply too strong for him at this point of his career.

So I would have to say one of the women, since while I dont neccessarily expect any of Lipnitskaya, Elizaveta, or Sotnikova to medal, I do think they have a better shot of sneaking out a womens medal than of winning a mens medal right now.
    Don't forget team medals.

Custom Title
    V\T for gold run.They have 50x50 chance))Liza cand make a podium.I think she is held back in pcs because of her little experience and respect among the judges.It can and should change the next year.Plushenko...Just no.I don't know.He can be fierce but I need to watch him actually compete this year.Dance)I think the 3 place is not out of contention

Well, what you wrote is very logical. I also have thought about this, but remember, he received 156 points in JO, where his Tech marks were unusually low (63, ..) althought he landed two Quads, but he messed up a few other jumps. Plushy and Mishin said he isn't ready, he don't compete, but the Russian experts, not only Mishin continously monitoring his programs. Yes, he grew up in old system, and he needs to learn many new things, but he can do that. In every shows he landed minimum two 3A, 3-3 combo etc. So who knows? We can see in december on Rus Nat. And his goal a medal, the pedestal in Sochi...He would be glad with a bronze medal..he is missing that medal , but he knows that is so hard,so hard....

Custom Title
    LOL Volosozhar & Trankov are 10 times more likely/certain to win a medal (they WILL win a medal of some color unless something drastic happens) and 10 times better a chance to win gold than any other Russian right now, including Plushenko. The dancers have way less chance of a medal than even the ladies do right now. Lastly Kavaguti & Smirnov above Voloszhar & Trankov right now, on what planet exactly?

"Who is (are) Russia's best skater(s) going into Sochi?"

Russia has a few good skaters, who potentially could win or medal in Sochi, what is so funny about skaters I named

Russian have this saying: laughing the one, who laughing the last!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Well, what you wrote is very logical. I also have thought about this, but remember, he received 156 points in JO, where his Tech marks were unusually low (63, ..) althought he landed two Quads, but he messed up a few other jumps. Plushy and Mishin said he isn't ready, he don't compete, but the Russian experts, not only Mishin continously monitoring his programs. Yes, he grew up in old system, and he needs to learn many new things, but he can do that. In every shows he landed minimum two 3A, 3-3 combo etc. So who knows? We can see in december on Rus Nat. And his goal a medal, the pedestal in Sochi...He would be glad with a bronze medal..he is missing that medal , but he knows that is so hard,so hard....
    Plushenko's goal in Sochi is gold medal only. And you are right other color medal will be just bonus for his collection.

It is funny how people pretend that Plushenko doesn't exist, or to compete with him is a piece of cake. I mean real competition not JO.
    History shall see and ice is slippery.

Custom Title
    What people forget is the team event and i think Plush aims there for a medal, as to win a team medal is always special (especilly as the first time ever a JO team event). He might know very well what his chances are for now, he and Mishin are not stupid and to long in the business. But Russia has a great chance to medal in team event with a very good pair (Germany and China have no real chances for the team event), with quite good ladies and a healthy Plush. Apart from USA and Canada and partially Japan, i cannot see another country with better chances for team event than Russia. France and Italy may come in team event but i don'tthink they have real chances over Russia...

Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    Plushenko's goal in Sochi is gold medal only. And you are right other color medal will be just bonus for his collection.

It is funny how people pretend that Plushenko doesn't exist, or to compete with him is a piece of cake. I mean real competition not JO.
    History shall see and ice is slippery.
    I read his every interview, he said not only once, he will be glad if he will stand on pedestal. But he is Plushenko, he wants to be a best, and he is working for it. And he is still very confident, he said:

"- You follow the results of the international season?
    - Of course - I watch all the major competitions. Greatly added the Japanese, they have in the team now, four or five athletes at the same, a very decent level. But that there is such skater, which I saw and can say "Wow" - no. Yes, there are good athletes. I would be interested to compete with them. I love all the new, love to conquer, to do what no one else did. I like it, no matter how is it difficult. "

He said in other interview, the best skater and competitor is Chan.

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/6289.html
    Last edited by plushyfan; 11-26-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Banned
    Here's the documentary about Leonova (RN-2013 not including), mostly about her sport route, some rare shots from the childhood, as well as video from the communal state apartment where her family lives):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhZZP9cOZLw

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast