Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Most powerful federation?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I think the Russian federation is very powerful too. Remember, in the last couple years they've scored two major coups:

1) Getting 2011 Worlds in Moscow after the tsunami
    2) Getting Plushenko reinstated to eligible status (would that have happened for any other skater, from any other country?)

The U.S. federation, meanwhile, seems quite weak, especially considering the general strength of our program. I'm guessing this is attributable to the sport's current lack of popularity in the U.S. Despite this, though, I feel like we should have more pull.
    thats just based on the upcoming Worlds, Canada is heavily politicking even in the ladies, and this is because this will determine the number of spots for the Olypmpics
    though Japan alone probably earns skaters the most bucks from FS popularity and Japan and its ice shows. that will change by next Season, Russia is still powerful as it will host the Olympics, even Piseev or was that Gorshkov that even in ice dancing they dont expect a podium by 2013 Worlds but by Olympics season, they will be fighting for a medal

I think the Russian federation is very powerful too. Remember, in the last couple years they've scored two major coups:

2) Getting Plushenko reinstated to eligible status (would that have happened for any other skater, from any other country?)

The U.S. federation, meanwhile, seems quite weak, especially considering the general strength of our program. I'm guessing this is attributable to the sport's current lack of popularity in the U.S. Despite this, though, I feel like we should have more pull.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    A number of countries offered to have the Worlds: Canada, Russia, the USA, Croatia, Finland and Austria. It was clear that Russia had the best bid - Canada and the USA were mere placefillers (both submitted their names mainly to ensure that there was a chance competition took place. Russia deservingly got Worlds. And given how successful the event was - attendance was strong, the rink was good (compared to say Nice this past year), no one feels that was the wrong decision. If it was a political decision, it was a political decision of the best kind, where everyone compromises and the best event possible under the circumstances was held. Canada and the USA tend to get the event every five-seven years, so six years between Moscow 05 and 11 makes sense to me.
    Yes, as seniorita and IP correctly point out, getting 2011 Worlds wasn't that much of a coup; it was a tricky event to organize and nobody else was really well-equipped to do it to the same degree as the Russians.

Skate Canada is clearly the class of the politikking field. They get things done without being blatant about it, which is sound strategy and helps their skaters. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that the IJS was developed in Canada and that training in Canada seems to have been well-suited to it from the get-go.

The JSF just has the money, I don't think they politik well. They don't seem to figure out in time which skaters they should throw their weight behind.

Of the bigger federations, I think the FFSG is, contrary to popular belief, dreadful at politikking. They couldn't hit the top of a podium for their skaters with a Zamboni. They (in the person of Didier Gailhaguet) tend to lean on the skaters to make certain "acceptable" choices to the point of interfering and even hindering their careers. Gailhaguet has no problem kicking a skater when he/she is down and has no notion of how to finesse anything; it's all bulldozing. How Joubert was able to survive a decade of this, I've no idea.

Looking at smaller federations, someone is making good decisions for Spanish skating. That is a program being built from the ground up, and the skaters with potential are being matched with people who can actually do them good. I think they may be ones to watch in the long term.

It'll be interesting to see what the federations decide to go after in Sochi and how they'll do it. I think Canada will go after men's and dance, Russia will try for pairs and team, and if Wagner medals at 2013 Worlds, the US will try hard to get her a medal; it could revive public interest in the US to some degree, which would be good for the sport. If they're smart, the FFSG will play for a team medal. The JSF should focus on the men and figure out how to push more than one guy at the same time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Of the bigger federations, I think the FFSG is, contrary to popular belief, dreadful at politikking. They couldn't hit the top of a podium for their skaters with a Zamboni. They (in the person of Didier Gailhaguet) tend to lean on the skaters to make certain "acceptable" choices to the point of interfering and even hindering their careers. Gailhaguet has no problem kicking a skater when he/she is down and has no notion of how to finesse anything; it's all bulldozing. How Joubert was able to survive a decade of this, I've no idea.
    Gailhaguet is not good at promoting his skaters. He was among the most publicly critical of Surya when she was at her peak, rather than being an advocate for her. It might have cost her a world title, considering she lost 5-4 on three occasions IIRC.

1.) Putin didn't ask for a penny from the ISU. The event's costs were eight million dollars! Funny I don't remember, when the US president opened a figure skating championships.
    2.) That was a complicated story. The Russian Federation wanted the suspension. Why hasn't suspended the ISU Joannie Rochette? She was in same situation.

Canada, Russia, Japan..
    Last edited by plushyfan; 10-30-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Custom Title

Most powerful federation?

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Why hasn't suspended the ISU Joannie Rochette? She was in same situation.
    Joannie went through proper procedures, by asking and receiving permission.

My impression is that the majority of politicking that goes on in the ISU is not about skaters at all. It is about jockeying for appointments to prestigious posts and committee assignments within the organization.

interesting responses, thanks.

Custom Title
    I thought with COP a lot of that jockeyng and power struggles was made a lot harder - okay maybe wishful thinking. I do think these boards are a bit "scarey" - I think the power of feds are often "made up" by nationalistic parties or fans. I don't think Skate Canada for example has had time to really politick Osmond despite some sahying there should be a review.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Joannie went through proper procedures, by asking and receiving permission.
    The permission you take for this kind of situation is from your federation who then send the appropriate papers to ISU. Plushenko had also taken permission and the ok from his Fed, and then RF took it back. It was more of their bad relationship with eachother at that time than not going through the procedures.

that's why i admire yuna even more.. winning a world title and ogm without a strong/powerful fed to back her up.. and to think she had to do it from the basic..

sorry i can't resist...

Custom Title
    I don't think it was a coincidence that Chan lost to Takahashi at WTT 2012 in Japan and was dumped by the judges in Japan Open this season. The Japanese federation definitely wants Chan's superiority to stop. I think that is also the reason why neither Takahashi nor Hanyu competed at SC. The Japanese federation sent Oda, their current 4th because they knew that Chan would be placed inhead of the Japanese men, no matter what. And if Orser wasn't Canadian, Javier woudn't have won. I think there is hostility bw the Japanese and Canadian federations. That is one of the reasons, why Osmond won over the better Japanese ladies. It will be interesting who wants to compete in Skate Canada in the future anymore...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    that's why i admire yuna even more.. winning a world title and ogm without a strong/powerful fed to back her up.. and to think she had to do it from the basic..

sorry i can't resist...
    Yuna is one of the world's richest female athletes and her sponsors mean a lot of money to the ISU.

Custom Title

Most powerful federation?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    The permission you take for this kind of situation is from your federation who then send the appropriate papers to ISU. Plushenko had also taken permission and the ok from his Fed, and then RF took it back. It was more of their bad relationship with eachother at that time than not going through the procedures.
    Regardless of how they got there, in the end he still did the shows without the necessary permissions. Joannie wasn't banned because she had permission.

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    I don't think it was a coincidence that Chan lost to Takahashi at WTT 2012 in Japan and was dumped by the judges in Japan Open this season. The Japanese federation definitely wants Chan's superiority to stop. I think that is also the reason why neither Takahashi nor Hanyu competed at SC. The Japanese federation sent Oda, their current 4th because they knew that Chan would be placed inhead of the Japanese men, no matter what. And if Orser wasn't Canadian, Javier woudn't have won. I think there is hostility bw the Japanese and Canadian federations. That is one of the reasons, why Osmond won over the better Japanese ladies. It will be interesting who wants to compete in Skate Canada in the future anymore...
    Chan has every advantage on his side when it comes to federation support. If you are seriously suggesting that Orser + the Spanish fed are more powerful than Skate Canada, in Canada no less... .

The reason that neither Takahashi nor Hanyu were sent to SC is that they are both in the same seeding group from Worlds as Chan. TEB and NHK traded seeds, it seems - normally you have one medalist and one 4-6 finisher at each GP, but NHK has two medalists while TEB has two 4-6 guys because you had two skaters from the same country in each group. But there is no way on earth that Skate Canada would pick another medalist over Patrick Chan. It has nothing to do with the JSF or its tactics. The other seeded entry (from the 4-6 finishers) at SC was Amodio, who obviously wasn't at his best. Skate Canada as the host basically got to call the shots beyond that (although there is some trading between the feds, and various machinations); they could have gone with Kozuka, but Oda was a safer choice for them.

Of course the JSF would rather see its skaters win over Chan. Duh.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 10-31-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    by Politik Canada, by coverage/funding Japan
    I agree. Russia has now very weak federation.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast