Most powerful federation? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most powerful federation?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think you see more of an effect of politicking just outside the medals, where the placements are important for international assignments but people don't make much of a fuss because it doesn't impact the top of the leader board. This hurt skaters like Malinina and Czacko because they often finished behind skaters from bigger countries, even when they skated well.

Re you referring to the very tiny thin Tatiana Malinina? I always felt she was undermarked. I cannot recall specific skates, but I loved her...how I wish she had a break. No question her scores would be better had she skated for US in the 90's or any skating power.

Canada and Orser made Yuna into WC and Oly C. She made the perfect move at the right time. Amazing the luck all the way/along with talent. So sad for Orser it ended so poorly. I'd love to see Javier be his second WC. Javi is wonderful and belongs on podium with the best in the world.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
It is interesting, thinking that back then Yuna‘s move to Orser was considered risky by many and was scoffed by a few.
Not that Yuna went to OGM coach & IMG speaker which are Orser‘s present position. :laugh:

Last edited:
If Canada, which is not even Yuna's nationality, supposedly "made her champion," what does it say for the rest of the champions from US, Japan, Canada, or Russia? It would definitely be much easier for them to make their skaters champion, then they must have all earned their titles not with their skating, but witha push of their OWN strong federations. Even though it is a hard fact that figureskating is a political sport, to say a skater was backed by a federation other than their own is much far-fetched to say the least.

Plus, Canada had Joannie as rising hope for their own champion in the meantime. It doesn't make any sense.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Canada were so powerful then Chan would still be winning and Davis and White would be relegated clearly to second and that is NOT the case. Now if we were talking PR or media attention then the Japanese and American skaters would be the clearest faves.

cosmos

On the Ice
Re you referring to the very tiny thin Tatiana Malinina? I always felt she was undermarked. I cannot recall specific skates, but I loved her...how I wish she had a break. No question her scores would be better had she skated for US in the 90's or any skating power.

Canada and Orser made Yuna into WC and Oly C. She made the perfect move at the right time. Amazing the luck all the way/along with talent. So sad for Orser it ended so poorly. I'd love to see Javier be his second WC. Javi is wonderful and belongs on podium with the best in the world.

I wonder how Canada failed to make Orser OC in 1988 and how Canada chose a korean skater instead of its own Joanni.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It would be more accurate to say that training in Canada and with Orser helped Yu-Na take the extra step she needed to win consistently at the senior level. I hate that so little credit is given to the people who worked with her earlier in her career.

As for Fernandez, he's a very good jumper (that 4S :love:) and has a lot of charm, but personally I find him overrated. I guess you can say that after years of being undermarked, he's due for a bit of overmarking - but I think it's interesting that people who are more than happy to criticize other (European) skaters are willing to ignore Javier's weaker skating skills, occasional sloppiness, unimaginative programs (Zorro and Chaplin, really? I did like last year's SP, though) and so-so spins. Orser does have him checking off many of the boxes needed to score well, so I'll grant him that. Leaving Morozov was the best thing he ever did.

cosmos

On the Ice
It would be more accurate to say that training in Canada and with Orser helped Yu-Na take the extra step she needed to win consistently at the senior level. I hate that so little credit is given to the people who worked with her earlier in her career.

Yes, and it wasn't Orser alone but the whole dream team that helped her, particularly David Wilson.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes, and it wasn't Orser alone but the whole dream team that helped her, particularly David Wilson.
Absolutely, I should have mentioned Wilson in my previous post. I suspect his role in Yu-Na's success was no less important than Orser's, and their relationship appears to have been closer/better - as evinced by her continuing to work with Wilson after the split.

glam

On the Ice
Not true. None of Yu-Na endorsed companies sponsor ISU events, except for Samsung who had sponsored CoC for some years in the past (it no longer does, AFAIK). Other than pushing its own PR campaign in a certain market, a sponsor for a specific event does not have direct politicking power to promote its compatriot federation or athletes.

Really? That is surprising news for me. I would have guessed based on some other skaters that also Yuna's sponsors sponsor some of the ISU events.

L

lowtherlore

Really? That is surprising news for me. I would have guessed based on some other skaters that also Yuna's sponsors sponsor some of the ISU events.

Like who? Japanese skaters?

Hanaka

Rinkside
Not true. None of Yu-Na endorsed companies sponsor ISU events, except for Samsung who had sponsored CoC for some years in the past (it no longer does, AFAIK). Other than pushing its own PR campaign in a certain market, a sponsor for a specific event does not have direct politicking power to promote its compatriot federation or athletes.

Korean federation? I bet it’s the weakest of them all that produced a world or Olympic champion. They couldn’t eke out a win for Yu-Na at the 2008 Worlds, at the 2011 Worlds, or even at the 2008 GPF in Korea (her only international competition at home to date, junior or senior), where at each event the call could have gone either way.

On the contrary, Korean Federation is never weak or small inside ISU. Look at their dominant history and glorious achievements in Speed Skating, particularly in Short Track Speed Skating, and the most important thing is it's Cinquanta's sports. It is totally impossible to think they don't have "power" inside ISU, even if their history of FS was rather short. Korea is/was the hugest empire of Short Track Speed Skating. Maybe Cinquanta and KFS officials are good old Short Track Skating buddies and they might enjoy going out for drink or diner together and enjoy having a close chat. ;) Maybe he has love for this empire of STSS and might think Korea's joy and happiness is his joy and happiness and might want to help them.
Oh, no, I'm just kidding, of course.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
On the contrary, Korean Federation is never weak or small inside ISU. Look at their dominant history and glorious achievements in Speed Skating, particularly in Short Track Speed Skating, and the most important thing is it's Cinquanta's sports. It is totally impossible to think they don't have "power" inside ISU, even if their history of FS was rather short. Korea is/was the hugest empire of Short Track Speed Skating. Maybe Cinquanta and KFS officials are good old Short Track Skating buddies and they might enjoy going out for drink or diner together and enjoy having a close chat. ;) Maybe he has love for this empire of STSS and might think Korea's joy and happiness is his joy and happiness and might want to help them.
Oh, no, I'm just kidding, of course.

Cinquanta was a speed skater.
Speed skating is totally different sports from short track skating. Sports that Europeans dominate mainly, unlike short track skating that Korea,China,North America dominate.
Korea gained first Olympics gold in speed skating at 2010 Olympics.

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Korea has been a powerhouse in short track speed skating. But figure skating is another matter. Their only ladies representative at the last Worlds, a 13th-place finisher at Vancouver, didn’t even make the free skate, after dinged with marginal calls on all her jumps and unusually low PCS scores for a relatively clean skate. They have little power in selling their skaters.

L

lowtherlore

Kiira Korpi has endorsement deals with Lumene and Valio, which have been sponsoring for example the European Championships and Finlandia Trophy after they made the deal with her.

That’s good for Kiira and Finlandia Trophy.

Some of Yu-Na’s sponsors, partnered up with her, support figure skating and skaters, and other activities including charities. But none of them currently sponsors ISU event, and Korea currently doesn’t host an annual international FS competition.

naan

Rinkside
If Korea has POWER inside ISU as Hanaka said, why did ISU decide to abolish the current system which they give host country each one spot per discipline for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic only? :scratch:

cosmos

On the Ice
If Korea has POWER inside ISU as Hanaka said, why did ISU decide to abolish the current system which they give host country each one spot per discipline for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic only? :scratch:

Exactly. Korea is THE country that needs it desperately. Russia doesn't need it. And, ISU made a decision to stop it beginning with PC Olympics.

After the 2010 Olympics the ISU council voted to disallow three double Axels in a program and to increase the value of the triple Axel. Just saying. .)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I'd like to congratulate the person who started this thread for perpetrating the myth that all figure skating competitions are rigged. Why bother to even have the skaters skate?

No wonder the rest of the sporting world doesn't take the sport seriously, when the fans of the sport freely admit it's all fixed.