Help with sit spin | Golden Skate

Help with sit spin

G

Glacierskater

Help with sit spin

I have bad knees. Not so much so that I cannot do anything, it just hurts more than it used to...welcome to the 30's, I guess. I am having a problem getting lower in my sit spin. My coach tells me lower, and I do...right to the ice. Anyone have ideas for this? I am turning into the human Zamboni during skate practice.

L

Lanechka

Re: Help with sit spin

What I'm doing now with my sit is not focusing on getting low, but getting into a sort of sitting position with the leg out and trying to balance on that... it's really hard and I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but maybe focusing on that (not getting lower but just getting used to it not as low) will help.

G

Glacierskater

Thanks Lanie. I will keep focusing on form. Hopefully the lowering of the bod will come with time.

P

peachstatesk8er

Practice doing shoot the ducks, it'll help strengthen your leg and help with balance as well.

J

Joesitz

If your knee pain is because you lack the muscle to go down all the way, then you must work on your leg muscles. Peachskater's recommendation to practice shoot the duck is a good one. Also holding on to something like a table do some deep knee bends with one leg and two legs.

If you knee pain is something else than lack of muscle, I would suggest you see a sports doctor to find out what's the problem.

Joe

G

Glacierskater

Thanks Joesitz...the problem may be lack of muscle control. I thought that I had stong legs. They are being used in a way that they are not used to though. Seems like a slow process. The other problem is ACL recontruction 10 years ago. I am not going to let it slow me down. I will hit the weight machines also.

Glacier

J

Joesitz

good girl! Stair climbing is good for the butt which is also required in sitspins.

icedream

Rinkside
i started learning my sit spin yesterday and my coach said to think about touching your butt to your heel. when i did that she said it was perfect :)

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Here's another thing to think about. When you are trying to get lower, think about lifting your big toe to the ceiling instead of trying to drop your knee. Sounds strange, but it works.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
1964...I like the big toe thing. I don't do shoot the duck all that well, and the sit spin is going to be hard to get all the way down on.

Another question: Can the free leg be bent? My coach said that it needs to be straight, but have been pouring over skating tapes, and even the "big girls" somtimes have a bent free leg...help someone..

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Help with sit spin

Glacierskater:

The sit sping was always one of my favourite and best moves. Your coach is correct, the free leg should be straight. That is why practicing the "shoot-the-duck" helps.

The best way to go into a sit spin or any spin in to really "step" into your centre while doing crosscuts - really build up some speed - centre yourself really well this will give you more balance as well as force. Then slowly lower your body with your free leg out. You can also place both hands on your thigh - I found this really helpful in my "old age!" I find it hard to get up from a sit spin now that I am "over the hill." I used to find I could control the sit spin better if I did not rush it. Once you get the hang of it - you will see how easy it is. You can even cheat for awhile and do sort of a "half" sit spin. Don't go all the way down to the ice - but get used to the "sit" position.

Toller Cranston used to do variations of sit spins. You should look at old footage of him.

I hope this helps! Remember to centre yourself first!

http://www.chem.duke.edu/~stephen/SKATEPIX/sitspin2.jpg

aly*cutie

On the Ice
Another good tip is to make sure all of your weight is on your skating leg. Sometimes I just hold on to something at home and practice going down, My coach said my spin was 100% better after I did this for like a week or two. I practice skating postions a lot. Just keep practicing! You will get it! :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Help with sit spin

aly*cutie:

Good tip. I used to practice my spins - including sit spin in the basement. I wore boots that would slide on the cement floor. Boy could I spin! I think that is where I "perfected" my sit spin before doing it on the ice. It definitely helps putting weight on the skating leg.

Keep practicing!