Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years?

Programs that will still be talked about in 20+ years?

So often, I hear people bring up old programs from a very long time ago. I wasn't a fan of skating back then, but the programs must have been something for people to still talk about them now, so many years later. I hear a lot of people mention programs from Torvill and Dean, Toller Cranston, Katarina Witt, and Michelle Kwan (though she wasn't that long ago) to name a few.

So my question is, what programs, if any, from this Olympic quadrennial are good enough that people will still be talking about them 20+ years from now? (Granted, I know there is one more seaon still to go, and I'm sure there will be some great programs in the Olympic season, but from what we have seen so far.) Have we seen any programs that will go down among the all-time greats, that we will still bring up in conversations many years down the road?

Two come to mind for me: Daisuke Takahashi's 'Blues for Klook' and Davis & White's 'Die Fledermaus'. You may or may not agree on these two, but what are your opinions? Are there any programs from this quadrennial that will be talked about for years to come?

Custom Title
    Great thread! Had Ashley won the WC last year I think her Swan Lake would be remembered. That's been the most memorable program to me and really evoked strong opinions from fans, both positive and negative.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post

Two come to mind for me: Daisuke Takahashi's 'Blues for Klook' and Davis & White's 'Die Fledermaus'. You may or may not agree on these two, but what are your opinions? Are there any programs from this quadrennial that will be talked about for years to come?
    I agree on these two, but can't think of any others.

Custom Title
    Die Fledermaus was on my mind when I saw the title. I think Daisuke's "In the garden of souls" Sp is much more praised than his LP but I like them both a lot. Carolina's LP was one of the nicest program since Vancouver but I'm not sure it's gonna be mentioned in 20 years mostly because oh her lower jump content. Maybe S/S Pina, for it's innovation

Custom Title
    Hopefully the good ones!! Die Fliedermaus David and White, Blues for Klook Takahashi, Pina S/S hopefully. I think ladies is tougher maybe Kostner's from 2012. So well recieved all year but I guess few are talking about it now!! But maybe when her jumping level isn't so big it may grow?

FOr negative programs It's from the previous cycle but how about Aboriginal D/S?!? It has never been performed at a GP or Euros or worlds but you know about I/K's Ghost already! Wowza!!

I hope S/S's programs in general, and Pina in particular, will be remembered further down the road. They have such a diverse and innovative body of work.

Possibly Dai's programs from last year, or if I'm allowed to cheat a bit, the fabulous La Strada.

Honestly, I have found most of the skating in recent years kind of forgettable, even from skaters I like. There are programs I'm always happy to re-watch (not necessarily winning programs), but few of them are from the last few seasons. The technical side of skating is being pushed (in some of the disciplines, at least) - but with so many people having learned how to play the system, there is way too much cookie-cutter IJS stuff, with the difference being the varying levels of difficulty. And while occasionally we still get something that is IJS-friendly and artistically interesting, a lot of the programs seems interchangeable to me. But then, brilliant programs in general aren't that common; if there were too many of them, they wouldn't be as memorable.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    As well as Dai's programs & D&W's Die Fledermaus.

I know I'm going to be talking about seeing D&W's Giselle SD at Skate America live for a long time

I think V&M's Carmen will be talked about in 20 years. People either love it or hate it, and controversy definitely gets and keeps people talking about a program. Toller Cranston was rather controversial in the day.

Custom Title
    IJS has made this extremely difficult! I agree with that. Everyone just has to do so much the same to get good levels and real individuality is rare. The ability to focus on certain things and make them really individual to you over someone else has been lessened I think. Step or spins or whatever.

Forgot Abbott and Muse FS. So good!

I agree about "Die Fledermaus" and maybe (but I'm not sure, because he didn't win WC) "Blues for Klook", and I think that Kostner may be remembered for being the only lady winning WC without big jumps these days but I will always remember her grace, elegance and the masterpiece choreography for her Mozart FS! Yes, we will maybe remember S/S's programs in general, not specific ones, because they are all so beautiful! (excpet, maybe, this season's FS, but it has time to grow and improve...) And I have the feeling that V/T's program won't be really remembered, because there's nothing new or original in their programs, they are "just" another great Russian pair, like T/M, B/S, K/D, really nothing new... (But I may be wrong!)

Custom Title
    Carmen, Die Fliedermaus, Pina, Klook, Souls.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I agree about "Die Fledermaus" and maybe (but I'm not sure, because he didn't win WC) "Blues for Klook", and I think that Kostner may be remembered for being the only lady winning WC without big jumps these days but I will always remember her grace, elegance and the masterpiece choreography for her Mozart FS! Yes, we will maybe remember S/S's programs in general, not specific ones, because they are all so beautiful! (excpet, maybe, this season's FS, but it has time to grow and improve...) And I have the feeling that V/T's program won't be really remembered, because there's nothing new or original in their programs, they are "just" another great Russian pair, like T/M, B/S, K/D, really nothing new... (But I may be wrong!)
    Duschesnay's "Missing" FD comes to mind

Lu Chen "the best of the Piano concerto No:2's FS"

Arakawa's "Turandot"

Lambiel "Poeta"

Kwan "Taj Mahal"

Yagudin "Winter"

Nikodinov "Just For You"

Yu Na "Danse Macabre and possibly OO7"

Mao "Fantasia for Violin & Orchestra"

Caro "Mozart piano concerto 23 last years FS"

Stojko "Dragon FS"

Rahkamo Kokko "Borsalino SD"

Pechalat Bourzat "spanish OD from 08"

Delobel Schoenfelder "Flight of the Dove FD 06"

Droiazko Vanagas "Spente Le Stelle"

Gordeeva Grinkov "Moonlight Sonata"

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I think V&M's Carmen will be talked about in 20 years. People either love it or hate it, and controversy definitely gets and keeps people talking about a program. Toller Cranston was rather controversial in the day.
    I don't get the sense that people are that passionate about it, or about V/M's programs in general (other than uber wars, which most of us don't engage in). And I think because there have been so many other Carmens, it won't be remembered to the same extent as, say, T/D's Bolero, or what the Duschenays did. Personally, I found the crotch grabbing and some of the lifts vulgar, but otherwise nothing about it stuck with me.

I don't find Die Fledermaus memorable, either - well, the operetta is great fun, but D/W's version was no more interesting to me than Akiko's, and Akiko is far more charming. OTOH, Bollywood is memorable, but that's not in the current Olympic cycle.

Also, I don't think good/difficult necessarily means memorable. I'd wager there's a reason some of the top current skaters have not yet been mentioned in this thread.

People are talking about THIS quadrenium.

There are so few that have been outstanding and memorable programs beyond the few people have brought up. If Akiko gets her s---t together, her O program may be in that group as it's really original and exciting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I don't get the sense that people are that passionate about it, or about V/M's programs in general (other than uber wars, which most of us don't engage in). And I think because there have been so many other Carmens, it won't be remembered to the same extent as, say, T/D's Bolero, or what the Duschenays did. Personally, I found the crotch grabbing and some of the lifts vulgar, but otherwise nothing about it stuck with me.
    Heart. Broken, Buttercup. Heart broken.

Not to be a wet blanket, and as much as I liked D and W's DF, there has been no 20 year memorial programs yet if I understand the criteria. That would be on an order of magnitude such as T and Dean's Bolero.
    Personally, for a once in a 20 year program, I am gonna have to see another D/W Olympic performance like Phantom.....
    Chris who cant remember what V/M skated to at the last Olympics....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast