Is Osmond a threat to LaCoste at Canadians this year? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Osmond a threat to LaCoste at Canadians this year?

Kissx3

Final Flight
Osmond definitely has Nationals on lockdown. SC won't consider giving the title to someone who can't even hit the minimum to qualify for Worlds.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no such thing as having it locked up. If Osmond does not skate well at Canadian Nationals she won't win. They are not just going to hand her the title.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Osmond skated well at Nationals last year, winning the SP and skating a clean FS with two 3fs. In the FS, Phaneuf landed one 3z, no flip, and fell on a 2a, and Lacoste popped both lutz and flip. Yet they finished 1-2 overall because they were given massive PCS scores in the FS. Osmond was third overall.

I think the reverse will happen come January. No matter how Lacoste skates, she will not be held up. Osmond could make a mistake in the FS and still come out the clear winner, just as she did at SC.

The reality is Worlds 2013 couldn't be more important, since it determines how many ladies Canada can send to Sochi. Skate Canada cannot send Lacoste unless she somehow manages to make the minimum FS score (and she hasn't so far in two tries). Even if she did make the minimum at 4CC, it is more than likely that she would wind up in the mid teens at Worlds as she has for the past two years, keeping Canada down to one lady at Sochi.

Amelie hasn't the guts or nerves for high-level competitive skating. Osmond obviously has, and she deserves the shot at Worlds.

nadster

Final Flight
I think that Amelie's problem is more technical than lack of guts. She had never mastered any of the toe jumps that well and her only really strong triple is the loop. That puts a lot of pressure on her as it already puts her behind the eight ball right away. IOW , the technical problems add to the nerves.

Amelie has no chance of winning nationals and she will have to fight to keep off the likes of Daleman ( too young for Worlds and 4CC this season ) and Chartrand. She might hold them off this season but I don't see her doing it in 2014.

I do think Osmond will finish top 10 at Worlds. I see one of Daleman/Chartrand being no 2 by Sochi time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The lack of guts is due to the fact Amelie has never mastered the toe jumps. She has no confidence in her ability to perform her programs as choreographed, and that means she has no 'killer' competitive instinct. No wonder she goes out on the ice with that deer-in-the-headlights look on her face.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
There is no such thing as having it locked up. If Osmond does not skate well at Canadian Nationals she won't win. They are not just going to hand her the title.

She will if she's still the best skater of the night, which is quite likely even if she's not up to par.

I'd love to see someone challenge her, though. Not because I don't want her to win, but it would be nice to see several strong competitors here for a change.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Amélie Lacoste ‏@melipetit
Almost in Mtl! No social network for a week!Ouf!! Happy to be back and ready to fight the conflict between Myself and Long program!
4:54 PM - 5 Nov 12​

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I expect she will get a qualifying score for Worlds by then. She is too talented not to.

Huh - Lacoste is too talented not to score the minimum world qualifying - I wouldn't gaurantee that. While I agree shecoudl fluke out and scroe the minimum after last week's new low it shows me she has potential to crash and burn beyond recognition without a hope or a prayer or even a peep.

shine

Record Breaker
The thread title is worded in a very amusing way, to say the least.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Since Rochette stopped to compete in ISU competitions I have not seen any promising lady skaters coming from Canada. Now that situation has suddenly changed and I´m really enthusiastic about Osmond´s skating. I see her as Canada´s future in ladies figure skating and not only in future, but already today.

Last edited:

trains

On the Ice
I think it is now Osmond's to lose. She's got the guts to go for it. Daleman and Chartrand will be coming up right behind her. And don't forget Seguin.
She had a pretty good skate at Quebec Sectionals this week including a triple lutz combo that got +s
Here is her report card: http://www.patinage.qc.ca/doc/resultats/Section_A_2013/S-W23segJudgesDetails.pdf
Even if Lacoste skates well at Canadians sadly she has not much luck at repeating a good skate.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
so are you saying laCoste is good? Mind you I do like the LaCoste knit polo shirts - oops wrong Lacoste :)

No.

Pangtongfan's premise is that Osmond might be a threat to LaCoste, the underlying assertion that Lacoste is in the top position. I'd argue that Osmond is. PTF says who has Osmond beaten really to earn such plaudits. She's beaten LaCoste. Not only has she beaten LaCoste, however. She's trounced her personal best by about twenty points. She's demonstrated that she'll score 114ish when flawed. She has specific skills that LaCoste doesn't have (more triple jumps - though the jump LaCoste owns she doesn't have, intriguingly; stronger competitive verve). She has the support of her federation, which Lacoste CLEARLY doesn't have (see the hoops they made her jump through last season).

hohoho

On the Ice
With Osmond doing so well on the international stage, I would assume a similar situation as last year. If Osmond wins nationals she will be going to worlds. If Lacoste wins nationals there will be another "skate-off" at 4CC. Lacoste still does not have the TES scores for worlds. The only chance she has is 4CC. Osmond has shown this year that she is ready to take this on. As for the Loop, Osmond has that. I would expect to see alot of changes to her programs before nationals. She was landing beautiful 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T in Windsor. This kid seems to be the real deal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Asking if Osmond is a threat to LaCoste at Canadians this year is like asking if Abbott is a threat to Weir at US Nationals this year, but not quite as ridiculous as asking if Patrick Chan would be a threat to Reynolds or any other Canadian Men skater.

L

lowtherlore

ITA though I wish the future included Joannie Rochette as well - I feel the world got cheated when her mom died and she didn't go to world's. But her time may have passed.

Me too! I saw her skating last Aug and she was in terrific form, jumps, performance, and all. If she become serious in coming back, I believe she would still be the top lady for Canada.

I hope Canada get two spots for 2014, at least.

Last edited: