Evgeni Plushenko | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

whitebamboo

On the Ice
He had some pain again in his back toward the end of his free skate; I am really worried about it again...Praying that there is enough time for it to ease, at least a little!

LRK

Record Breaker
I know. Me too. I'm glad he's is doing the individual, though. Not that I think that will have any effect whatsoever on the naysayers - as they will just find another angle to attack him from... and that without breaking stride, or even acknowledging how they ever said ( = spent months saying) he would never ever ever do the individual. But such is the nature of naysayers.

PS - whitebamboo - I posted that Time article that I saw you had posted on Plushy's forum (I'm not a member of it) on the Oly's Men's SP thread. I didn't say anything as I was simply too angry - there were people suggesting that he didn't withdraw because a) you can't, or b) Plushy's injuries just weren't "serious" enough. I just wanted to mention it, and I hope it's okay.

ETA - I wanted to add, that I've found the outpouring of support from fellow figure skaters - past & present - really moving, though. I think that it's because they can really appreciate the cost and the achievement. For example, I just saw this tweet of Evan's on Plushy's English news twitter:

Evan Lysacek‏@EvanLysacek·
Plushenko having rough practice. 4T looks 3axel giving him trouble. Have never seen him fall so much. Worried bout his back. Careful Plush

LRK

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what happened? I'm worried sick about him. Love you, Plushy. That's all.

LRK

Record Breaker
http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140213/724424051.html

Plushenko's coach Alexei Mishin said that the skater felt well enough to compete.

"He couldn't pull out of the individual competition because he felt fine. A substitution wouldn't be fair play," Mishin said. "Such a replacement would be trickery ... he was obliged to skate on."

coppertop1

On the Ice
I'm sad for Plushenko. How disappointing to have to withdraw in front of the home crowd. . .just like in 2005 Worlds. He'll always have the team gold and his other medals, he can take pride in what he did. I also applaud him for doing the smart thing, and not pushing it and doing irreparable damage. He's a skater who seems to listen to his body, and as hard as it was, he did the right thing. I hope he recovers.

Maxi

Rinkside
Thank you for all the lovely moments Plushy! You will always be the king of figure skating! Congratulations for everything you have done over the years and for your passion!:bow: :points:

LRK

Record Breaker
http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=369&p=82526#p82526

"Russian figure skater Evgeny Plushenko told why he left the competition right before his turn and also told about his future plans.
"Unfortunately I had no choice. Used four painkillers yet they didn't help. But I still went to the end, tried my hardest, and went to the warm ups. Hoped that something magical would happen. It did happen in the team competitions, and I'm very happy about it. But now for now I need to rest, recover, and continue my figure skating career as businessman or showman. Very sorry to my fans, but I want to stay a healthy man. Walk and move normally, because life doesn't stop here." said Plushenko."

NBC Olympics‏@NBCOlympics·2 tim
#ThrowbackThursday A look back at the legacy of 4x-Olympic medalist Yevgeny Plushenko: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/yevgeny-plushenko-revered-and-divisive-ends-legendary-career https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/434089803009642497/photo/1

LRK

Record Breaker
Stojko's tweets from earlier:

Elvis Stojko‏@Therealestojko·10 tim
Plushy looks hurt on warm up.. @YahooSports @CBCOlympics #FS

.@EvgeniPlushenko has withdrawn. Great Champion. @YahooSports @CBCOlympics #FS @Sochi2014

.@EvgeniPlushenko a warrior to the end. End of era. @YahooSports @CBCOlympics @Sochi2014 #FS

LRK

Record Breaker
And Michael Weiss:

Michael Weiss‏@MichaelWeiss2·10 tim
That's the way Plushenko's Olympic career ends. Wow.

If he could've gone, I know he would have! No tougher a skater. EVER.

#Sochi2014

I think he thought/hoped he could fight his way thru the pain when he had to...but when it came down to it, body let him down. #Sochi2014

Has his critics, but No One can take away the competitive heart of @EvgeniPlushenko to be at that level for 4 Olympics. Unmatched #Sochi2014

coppertop1

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing the tweets. Say what you want about his attitude, even his being there, but there's no denying Plushenko is tough skater. If he was able to skate, he would have. I call BS on anyone saying he chickened out. When has he ever chickened out? He likes competition. He's a legend, and the other skaters all respect him. You could feel the energy just disappear when his withdrawal was announced.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
If he was able to skate, he would have. I call BS on anyone saying he chickened out. When has he ever chickened out? He likes competition.

I also think so. He seemed disappointed that he couldn't skate. He tried until the end and it might have been difficult for him to get used to the idea that he can't compete anymore.
Congratulations for a fantastic career:clap:

coppertop1

On the Ice
It's his home crowd, I think the only reason he came back was because it was in Russia. The perfect story. His body didn't allow it.

Still, he has nothing to be sorry for. He has had a great career. He did the smart thing, if he did skate it would be well below his capabilities and he wouldn't accept it, so he bowed out with dignity and called it a career.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Many many congrats to Evgeni and Team Russia for winning the very first team event's OGM! And on their home turf! :hb: With his exciting skates for two nights there, not only the arena but Evgeni rocked the whole world ! :rock:

Wasn't seniorita in the arena, among that wonderful audience during the team event, was she? Or, not yet? If she was there already, must have been SOOooo thrilled to see it live, I would imagine! Very happy for her. :yes:

I was there in TEam FS, after 30 hours of travel due to stupid transit flights, so I have to confess I barely remember anything, I almost fell asleep at ice dance because I was so tired, I have it all blur, when I watched the video of Plush FS, I thought " I was there?"
I remember the cheering, the beginning of the program, huge noise arena made with their feet, I couldnt hear neither the music nor his marks and mostly I remember Plushy watching Machilda and then later cheering at Lipnitskaya like a fan boy.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I didn't want my 1000th post on Golden Skate to be about Biathlon! :laugh:

Instead, I thought a more fitting way would be to thank Evgeniy Plushenko for all the joy and entertainment he has given us over the past 15 years.

Zhenya, you have given us so many good memories. Your performances in Vancouver will always be one of my favourite figure skating moments. Although it was Lysacek that was given Gold medal, in my heart you will always be the 2010 Olympic Champion! And your performances in the Team Event in Sochi were amazing.

You have always been the "Great Man" to me, and you always will be.

I hope you enjoy your retirement, and that you will give yourself the chance to give your body some well deserved rest.

I wish you all the best in whatever the future holds for you.

From your biggest fan in Northern Ireland (and there are quite a few!)

CaroLiza_fan