Evgeni Plushenko | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

aschiutza

On the Ice
I have a thought. Perhaps he doesn't "retire" to help Mishin? All coaches in Sankt Petersburg said that they don't became help from the city, now Mishin has no adult skater in the high ranks (Liza is uncertain, Gachinski left, the rest seems to be juniors?). Without the help from federation it looks grim for his group, so they might need the money a "national team skater" brings? I don't know too much how funding works in Russia, is just a thought, as it seems Mishin support this idea (and if i was so near as Mishin is to Plushenko i would hush away Plushenko from the rink ;) ).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have a thought. Perhaps he doesn't "retire" to help Mishin? All coaches in Sankt Petersburg said that they don't became help from the city, now Mishin has no adult skater in the high ranks (Liza is uncertain, Gachinski left, the rest seems to be juniors?). Without the help from federation it looks grim for his group, so they might need the money a "national team skater" brings? I don't know too much how funding works in Russia, is just a thought, as it seems Mishin support this idea (and if i was so near as Mishin is to Plushenko i would hush away Plushenko from the rink ;) ).
But Mishin is also taking care of some young talents, isn't he? If the fed does nothing for Mishin's group, they would likely to abandon those young talent as well.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Young talent are just young talents before winning something. Apart of Petrov, how many students have Mishin and his group now? Are many promising skaters?Does Mishin receive enogh miney for them before them getting medals at senior level?

I heard that now that Sochi is away, the sport ministery reduced the money they give.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

You are right. If Pluhy is in Russian team Mishin, Avdish and his whole team received salary and other supports...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
A new article was published today:

Russian Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko plans to return to competition after recovering from back surgery, perhaps as early as next season, according to Russia’s figure skating federation and his agent.

Russia’s figure skating federation listed Plushenko on a preliminary list of candidates for the national team in a story Thursday, saying his coach, Aleksey Mishin, said Plushenko would start preparing for next season June 1.

In an email citing the article, the skater’s agent was asked if Plushenko intended to compete next season.

“He just loves to compete and after another surgery will try again,” Ari Zakarian said in the email. “I guess that’s in his blood.”

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/evgeni-plushenko-figure-skating-retirement/

makaihime

Final Flight

Russian Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko plans to return to competition after recovering from back surgery, perhaps as early as next season, according to Russia’s figure skating federation and his agent.

Russia’s figure skating federation listed Plushenko on a preliminary list of candidates for the national team in a story Thursday, saying his coach, Aleksey Mishin, said Plushenko would start preparing for next season June 1.

In an email citing the article, the skater’s agent was asked if Plushenko intended to compete next season.

“He just loves to compete and after another surgery will try again,” Ari Zakarian said in the email. “I guess that’s in his blood.”

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/evgeni-plushenko-figure-skating-retirement/

:party: I fully expect to see him stick around for the next 2 Olympic cycles (and one way or another to get a medal in both)...maybe as a humanoid :laugh:

aschiutza

On the Ice
I am not over the shock! He must be very hurt about people not believing him that he was injured when retaired in Sochi....

I want from him many magnificent exhibition programs and when he competes he have not the time for them. So, buhuuuu!

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm still in denial. I find it's a great way to alleviate shock - by the time you are actually FORCED to face the truth, you've got - sort of - used to the idea... Besides, being a Plushy fan makes you used to shocks. Still, with the iron nerves he has - I suppose he's the skater where HE is fine, but his FANS are nervous, shivering wrecks!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes, I'm in shock, I'm nervous, I worry about him..

Theater: Only you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wmN6LzDxkE

Drama: Carmen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVS554SM-dA 2003 WCH qualifying round--negative, malicious American comment despite the fact this was a fantastic performance . Lucky the judges thought another way........this is the reason why the North-Americans didn't like Plushenko...( photomontage https://twitter.com/Lily_shenka/status/459311835619930112/photo/1 Renoir :laugh: )

Firework: Godfather ECh 2006 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNIENLK-tfM how i love this performance!! Surprisingly positive American comment...

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

He just loves to compete and after another surgery will try again,” Ari Zakarian said in the email. “I guess that’s in his blood.

Thanks gallavich. Apparently competition is like a drug to him, and as Sochi demonstrated, who else is a better, more fearsome competitor? I wish him well and am looking forward to what programs he will unveil this coming season.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I am a bit plused why Zakarian speaks about another surgery? What surgery does Plush need?

I get the impression that the email from Zakarian is not a new one :laugh: .

The funny thing is now: for 4 years nobody believed that Plushenko will come back for Sochi. Now, while he will be much older and his poor back on the verge to fall in pieces, everybody has a little doubt inside that he maybe .... possibly.... will make it.... :biggrin:

sajoya

On the Ice
What? He's actually coming back? I mean, whatever makes him happy but wasn't his back pains bad? Didn't his wife described to the media (if I remember correctly) right after he left the men's competition in Sochi that his back pain was so bad to the point that if he was to compete, he could've been paralyzed?

aschiutza

On the Ice
Sajoya, the main reason for being paralysed would have been the screws. The borken parts of the screw could have damaged the spine if he moved wrongly, so it was for the better that he didn't skated further.

Now, after the OP, his screws are removed, apparently they are at the moment not needed anymore to support the spine. I think that way Plushenko is so optimistic about skating again.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ever since I heard how well the surgery went, and how they removed the screws that could've paralyzed him, I had a funny feeling this was gonna happen. And ever since those reports of "considering 2018," I knew it wasn't going to be just talk.

Well, it's early yet, we'll see how his body (and training) holds up. Anyway, I don't think this necessarily means he'll go to another Olympics. Maybe he just wants to compete for one more season and end his competitive career in a "proper" way.

Aschiutza's speculation about Mishin makes sense to me, even though I don't know much about Russian FS politics. I can't see why else Plush would want to return. He's done it all, and more, and more... Absolutely nothing to prove.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140426/743838300.html

I don't speak Russian, but this is Mishin's quote according to Google Translate:

"Plushenko will make a June 1 trial on the ice, so doctors recommended. A June 16 it will start full training at the training camp in Pinzolo Italian - said Mishin by phone. - Ideas for new programs already have. The Best Of Plushenko we will no longer do. We will do The New Plushenko ".

I personally think he's nuts, but maybe that's one of the reasons I find him so special. I certainly admire his tenacity and support him if this is really what he wants. There's probably nobody who can stop him until he feels he is ready. Just hope he listens to his body and can recognize when enough is enough (most would say he passed that point a long time ago...lol).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Haha, that's true.

Though this makes me feel like a horrible person and a horrible fan, I'm oddly fascinated. I mean, just think about it... if Plush makes it to a fifth Olympics, that would be a record, right? No figure skater ever attended five, unless my memory's wrong. Doesn't matter if he comes in last--he'll make history just by being there.

Man, all the jokes about him never being done, and coming back and back... Is he seriously going to actually do it?! Argh, no idea what I'm typing anymore.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140426/743838300.html

I don't speak Russian, but this is Mishin's quote according to Google Translate:

"Plushenko will make a June 1 trial on the ice, so doctors recommended. A June 16 it will start full training at the training camp in Pinzolo Italian - said Mishin by phone. - Ideas for new programs already have. The Best Of Plushenko we will no longer do. We will do The New Plushenko ".

I personally think he's nuts, but maybe that's one of the reasons I find him so special. I certainly admire his tenacity and support him if this is really what he wants. There's probably nobody who can stop him until he feels he is ready. Just hope he listens to his body and can recognize when enough is enough (most would say he passed that point a long time ago...lol).

If nothing else, that I want to see!

@gallavich: He did make that call to withdraw in Sochi so we know he does listen to his body. I think he is prepared to make that call again if necessary.