Evgeni Plushenko | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

LRK

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - Yes, I must confess that I'm oddly fascinated too! And then there is that lurking feeling that nothing can really be impossible to him if he really sets his mind to it...

@aschiutza & Maria Victoria
I think you are probably both right. I think the criticism when he withdrew really stung - but it has also acted as a Challenge to him. And I believe he is definitely something of an adrenaline junkie - some people go bunjee jumping, or white water rafting or climb Mount Everest... Plushy competes. :) If those detractors wanted to get him out of their hair and wanted rid of him, they REALLY went about it the wrong way. Calling him basically a Quitter and a Coward is NOT how to do it - if that is what one wants. I think this whole thing has basically worked as stick and carrot. They stung him with their remarks - and made continuing on REALLY attractive.

I do wonder if he has a set goal in mind - or is doing this, sort of, for... er... fun? I mean, because it amuses him, and he'll keep going so long as he wants?

That is, if he competes at all. (Reminds self of being in denial. Ahum.)

ETA - I just remembered - what was his message to his detractors - I think - "Thank you very much." ? (snicker)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If Plush's detractors were trying to "get rid of him" by calling him names, that must be the stupidest strategy they've ever designed. I suspect they thought they'd won after Plush withdrew, and believed there's no way he could return (let's face it: those people knew, in their heart of hearts, that he wasn't faking and something was seriously wrong with him. They were simply taking the opportunity to kick him while he's down). So in their moment of victory, they decided to "celebrate" with all the insults. Who knew they might actually kick him back into competition? (and that the surgery would go well, for that matter).

That being said, I'm still worried about Plush's health. Further injury is too high a price to pay simply to "show the haters." I hope he's competing for the "fun" of it instead.

Moving on to more optimistic topics... If Plush decides to return, any thoughts on what he should do? I hope he goes for a 1-2 short program layout like Yuzuru. Plush can certainly skate it (if he's healthy). He did triple axel (in combination!) in the second half of the free skate, and 3Lz-3T near the end of his free skate. He should have no trouble doing those in the second half of the short program. Frankly, I'll be a little sad to see the 4-3 go (and I don't agree with bonus second half marks in the short program, for that matter), but until quad combos are given the marks they deserve, a lutz combo in the second half will be rewarded more highly. I suspect Plush is still operating under the "can't win with the short program, but can lose with it" adage from the 6.0 days, so he goes for the layout that's most likely to be clean. Plus, under 6.0, any of the top three after the short can win if they win the long--but that's no longer true.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
@Sandpiper - Yes, I must confess that I'm oddly fascinated too! And then there is that lurking feeling that nothing can really be impossible to him if he really sets his mind to it...

@aschiutza & Maria Victoria
I think you are probably both right. I think the criticism when he withdrew really stung - but it has also acted as a Challenge to him. And I believe he is definitely something of an adrenaline junkie - some people go bunjee jumping, or white water rafting or climb Mount Everest... Plushy competes. :) If those detractors wanted to get him out of their hair and wanted rid of him, they REALLY went about it the wrong way. Calling him basically a Quitter and a Coward is NOT how to do it - if that is what one wants. I think this whole thing has basically worked as stick and carrot. They stung him with their remarks - and made continuing on REALLY attractive.

I do wonder if he has a set goal in mind - or is doing this, sort of, for... er... fun? I mean, because it amuses him, and he'll keep going so long as he wants?

That is, if he competes at all. (Reminds self of being in denial. Ahum.)

ETA - I just remembered - what was his message to his detractors - I think - "Thank you very much." ? (snicker)

It's true that he is an adrenalin junkie. I read some old interview of his where he said during the times when he wasn't competing, he tried to get the same high from motorcycles, fast cars, paintball, etc. And he loves to compete in other sports (soccer, golf, tennis, etc.) How he gets the energy to do all this stuff and come back after multiple injuries is beyond me...but that's why he is a legend, of course. And possibly superhuman. ;)

That simple "thank you very much" to the haters was so Plushy...I loved it! :laugh: I wish I had skin as thick as his!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
If Plush's detractors were trying to "get rid of him" by calling him names, that must be the stupidest strategy they've ever designed. I suspect they thought they'd won after Plush withdrew, and believed there's no way he could return (let's face it: those people knew, in their heart of hearts, that he wasn't faking and something was seriously wrong with him. They were simply taking the opportunity to kick him while he's down). So in their moment of victory, they decided to "celebrate" with all the insults. Who knew they might actually kick him back into competition? (and that the surgery would go well, for that matter).

That being said, I'm still worried about Plush's health. Further injury is too high a price to pay simply to "show the haters." I hope he's competing for the "fun" of it instead.

Moving on to more optimistic topics... If Plush decides to return, any thoughts on what he should do? I hope he goes for a 1-2 short program layout like Yuzuru. Plush can certainly skate it (if he's healthy). He did triple axel (in combination!) in the second half of the free skate, and 3Lz-3T near the end of his free skate. He should have no trouble doing those in the second half of the short program. Frankly, I'll be a little sad to see the 4-3 go (and I don't agree with bonus second half marks in the short program, for that matter), but until quad combos are given the marks they deserve, a lutz combo in the second half will be rewarded more highly. I suspect Plush is still operating under the "can't win with the short program, but can lose with it" adage from the 6.0 days, so he goes for the layout that's most likely to be clean. Plus, under 6.0, any of the top three after the short can win if they win the long--but that's no longer true.

I would reallly not make any expectations of his results, for sure he can medal at Europeans, be close to the top, but I don't expect him fighting with the top2 (Hanyu, Fernandez) or 3 (if Chan will back ). You know Yuzuru SP layout. The thing is layout will not do the job for him in terms of score like Yuzuru is setting. Quality on jumps+transitions to every jump, not mention counter back to 3A with great quality ( it's like another quad with that GOE)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm very skeptical. And I don't want to see him to compete. He has unbelievable will power I know. But he has no enough time. And they know it I'm sure. In last year his surgery was one month earlier, he started his training 2,5 months earlier, he didn't accept any invitations to shows because of the preparation. And he couldn't go to the COR, and he wasn't perfect shape in Rus Nat. In this year he will go to China and he talked about a Japan tour.. So I hardly believe this is true.. But he is like a drog for me, so I can't wait the summer. One of my friends will go to Pinzolo-as she did in every years since 2008- and some other fans thus we will know what happens in the training camp because they will report on twitter .

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think his "see you soon" is the hint of his come back.

I'm not sure..Plushy will go to the show or show tour in Japan..Probably they will meet there..
Do you know this picture? In 2010. Plushy adores the football he wants to play everywhere and everytime :) They played in a parking place, and Yuzuru played too, but he said he hates any play with the balls. :biggrin: He played because of Plushy..https://twitter.com/natsuki_figure/status/434576171435429888/photo/1

Duality

On the Ice
I can image lots of jealousy from Brian Orser. :biggrin:

Personally I think the main reason for Plushy-hatters simply is that he has beaten all of their favorite and have stayed on the top for so many years.

That's not the reason. The reason is that he gets enormous components for the lack of ss and ch while his fair components should be at least 10 points lower. The second reason that he says that he wants to compete but withdrawns competition after competition.

Personally I don't believe that Plushenko will compete in any events besides Cup of Russia and Russian Nationals. Though I am not sure about Cup of Russia either...

I think that Plushy can compete if he wants but I hope that judges will give him fair components. His fair components are in 5-7 area not higher.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Hint for the new members of this forum.

The title of this forum part is "Fan Fests". The netiquette sais that here is a place where people LIKING a skater gather to celebrate and discuss.

For the post of the kind " i know better than the international judges all togheter" there is a time and a place and for certain that is not here. There are enough threads going over and over about these kind of knowledge.

Thank you for your understanding!

Duality

On the Ice

The title of this forum part is "Fan Fests". The netiquette sais that here is a place where people LIKING a skater gather to celebrate and discuss.

For the post of the kind " i know better than the international judges all togheter" there is a time and a place and for certain that is not here. There are enough threads going over and over about these kind of knowledge.

OK, sorry.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I would reallly not make any expectations of his results, for sure he can medal at Europeans, be close to the top, but I don't expect him fighting with the top2 (Hanyu, Fernandez) or 3 (if Chan will back ). You know Yuzuru SP layout. The thing is layout will not do the job for him in terms of score like Yuzuru is setting. Quality on jumps+transitions to every jump, not mention counter back to 3A with great quality ( it's like another quad with that GOE)
Of course it's not gonna get him Yuzu's scores. But it could get him better scores compared to what he himself is currently getting. He'll net a few more points by doing the jumps past the halfway point. It seems like he's currently going for the GOEs with the jumps frontloaded, but even then I'm not sure it's working--both his axels in the free skate were better than the one in the short program.

At the very least, he can put the lutz in the second half. He used to put the lutz later on under 6.0 since there was a required step sequence going into it.

LRK

Record Breaker
Maybe he'll just take it as it comes... What I mean is, he may start training slowly, and then see what competition he is ready for, and what he can do realistically. Maybe, this not being an Oly year or even close (didn't he - jokingly I was hoping! - say that it was four years to the next Olys so there was no rush? - or something?), there is no need for pressure. Maybe he'll do some smaller competitions to gage his form, perhaps, and try out his programs, and for the rest... as fancy & fitness takes him?

Meoima - That is so cute! Thanks for linking. And as a side-note, we can see how Plushy's usual bitter hatred and jealousy against anyone who ever beat him is at work. You can really see how he resents Yuzu. ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
More Plushy with younger skaters:

http://oduwanchatsky.tumblr.com/post/83993477696/look-how-loverly-this-man-looks-with-his-young

http://hondaholmed.tumblr.com/post/84023703546/evgeni-plushenko-miyu-honda-yana-rudkovskaya

Putting aside his personal rivalries, I have never seen Plushy be anything but supportive with the skaters he admires, and encouraging to the younger ones. I wonder why some people are so intent on ignoring all the positive things he says and does, while amplifying every little thing they can twist to be negative. There are some skaters who are not my cup of tea, but I am not a hater, I just let them & their fans be. Can't understand that mindset at all!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
@LRK
Well, he's so nice only because Yuzu didn't really manage to beat him for a title. :laugh: It was only the short program! I'm sure Plush would be calling Yuzu terrible, terrible names like "good, average skater" if Yuzu actually beat him! The Evil Russian Villain is now returning to take back his titles (all gazillion of them), and he is armed with curses and voodoo magic that will make everyone else fall down! Mwahahahaha!

Onto something more substantial, I'm not sure how serious he is about the next Olympics. Comments reported by the media, with various degrees of seriousness:
- Don't care if I have to get ten more surgeries, not ruling out next Olympics (serious?)
- Maybe. I'm joking, for now. (not so serious)
- Don't rush, 2018 is a long time away (???)
- Possibility is 1% (so... the guy is sane after all?)

Oh, and apparently I'm wrong that no figure skater has attended five Olympics. I think one dance or pairs team have. I don't think a singles skater has though.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

thanks... :D the haters are so smart..

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
More Plushy with younger skaters:

http://oduwanchatsky.tumblr.com/post/83993477696/look-how-loverly-this-man-looks-with-his-young

http://hondaholmed.tumblr.com/post/84023703546/evgeni-plushenko-miyu-honda-yana-rudkovskaya

Putting aside his personal rivalries, I have never seen Plushy be anything but supportive with the skaters he admires, and encouraging to the younger ones. I wonder why some people are so intent on ignoring all the positive things he says and does, while amplifying every little thing they can twist to be negative. There are some skaters who are not my cup of tea, but I am not a hater, I just let them & their fans be. Can't understand that mindset at all!

This! :thumbsup:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am just thinking, if Speedy down and we have someone as Plushy as the head of ISU, that would be much more fun. Each month we will have some fun title like as the headlines:

"Head of ISU's calls his old rival an average skater!"
"Head of ISU only support young skaters that admire him!"
"Head of ISU is supportive of a long program with 5 quads which is impossible for human body! This man is crazy!"
"Head of ISU and his iconic sex bomb program!"

;) That would be fun!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yana confirmed that Plu is attending summer shows in Japan probably on PIW http://www.princehotels.co.jp/iceshow/ As i said he will meet with Hanyu..

New Plushenko's message to Yuzuru Hanyu, aired after Parade in Sendai (on 5:25) パレード後インタ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsx1-5HQSI&t=5m35s Plushy's message to Hanyu
The Japanese tv

Miya Honda was in Plushy's hause and the whole japanese TV team http://instagram.com/p/nS64j5lSFQ/#

Miya ansd Sasha http://instagram.com/p/nS7iNUlSGK/#

Plu and Miya http://i.instagram.com/p/nTEkPeASOQ/ http://i.instagram.com/p/nTFjU8ASAS/ #ODRI

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
YESSSSSSS!!

I'm holding back laughter because there are other people in the room, but my God... This is genius... running out of oxygen here... Ahem...

Plush for ISU head! It's not like he's gonna do any worse than Speedy.