Evgeni Plushenko | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for all the videos! It was great to see the Plushy/Mao dance, even if it was set to different music. The repetitive editing did get annoying after a while... but it's wonderful to see them both so happy. Mao is grinning from ear to ear... and did Plush just kiss her hair at the end? So cute!

What I gleaned from the Miyu videos:
- Plush says it's now Yuzuru's era. However, his favourite skater is Mao Asada, because she takes risks doing the triple axel.
- Plushy learned another Japanese phrase!! :biggrin:
- Something about skating with heart?
- More strength in the steps. Okay, I don't understand, something about fingertips. I assume extending expressiveness all the way to the fingertips?

Okay, at this point, all I can say is: Plushenko's Japanese is probably better than mine.

- Akiko Suzuki is watching the video from the top right!
- How old is Miyu? She's very talented, and learns very quickly. The second take on the performance was a big improvement. Best wishes to her in the future.

EDIT: Regarding NicoNico--looking at how strict Japanese copyright law is, and how people have gotten arrested for uploading things they shouldn't... yes, I assume clips often do get deleted.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you, Sandpiper, for the translations. I think Miyu is 9 years old?

Yes, Plushy kisses Mao's head in the video. :) It looks so spontaneous and natural...I think they have a real bond and a bit of a mutual (platonic) crush. I'm only a little jealous...:slink:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, Plushy kisses Mao's head in the video. :) It looks so spontaneous and natural...I think they have a real bond and a bit of a mutual (platonic) crush. I'm only a little jealous...:slink:
Intense jealousy!! :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

Lol, I dunno if those could be called "translations." The only thing that I (likely) understood properly was the part about Yuzu and Mao. I love their friendship. ;)

Only nine years old? Wow, she seems so mature and composed.

aschiutza

On the Ice
After seeing Plushenko coaching Miyu, i really hope he will coach in the future. It seems to me that after such a long career, after relearnig to jump after his OPs, that he really know now also in his head how to skate. I mean like that: at the beginning a lot of athletes know intuitiv how to do something, they don't question to much, they do it somehow and it depends on their coaches to do it right. The older you are, the more you realize /think about how you do the things.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
After seeing Plushenko coaching Miyu, i really hope he will coach in the future. It seems to me that after such a long career, after relearnig to jump after his OPs, that he really know now also in his head how to skate. I mean like that: at the beginning a lot of athletes know intuitiv how to do something, they don't question to much, they do it somehow and it depends on their coaches to do it right. The older you are, the more you realize /think about how you do the things.
I also hope he will be coach..
Мастер-класс для детей (Master-class for kids) 02.06.2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUE6XzraWn0 he does it very well. And he likes the children and the children love him.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8acq8492xkc

aschiutza

On the Ice
Can you imagine to see in the future skaters coached from Kulik and from plushenko and from lambiel and hopefully from Yagudin? Whoa, it would be awesome!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Lambiel and Plushy should form a team, Lambiel will teach spin and Plushy teach jumps. Strongest coaching team ever!:laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm selfish--I don't want Plushy to become a full-time coach. I want him to continue skating in shows as long as he is able to. That way, we can see many great performances from him in the years to come.

I dunno if Lambiel's spins can be taught, lol. IIRC, he said he didn't work extremely hard on his spins compared to his other elements. He's just a natural. ;) Yagudin says he doesn't want to coach, so I doubt we'll see the rivalry continue in that way.

LOL, what would happen if Plushy became a commentator? I suspect half a page of threads dedicated to every miniscule, "insulting" thing he says. :laugh: (In all seriousness: he really shouldn't become a commentator. Scott Hamilton's now more known for his bizarro commentary than his Olympic medal--not a good position to be in.)

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks everyone for the videos - including the uploader should they see this :) - and the translation!

Awww, he's so adorable with Miyu - I do think we know what kind of coach he would be now. :) I also recall that Liza said in an interview that he would be funning with her during her trainings sometimes - doing her routine in his way, and then in hers. :)

@Sandpiper - I don't think he'd be happy commenting - he'd just be sitting on pins & needles wishing he were out there, and showing them how it really was done. And yeah, any remark in which he didn't call every and each skate he saw the most marvellous one that has ever been skated on ice, would be an "insulting" remark to some. ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
But it would be extremely fun if Plushy become a commentator, even it's just temporary! We will have new shocking headlines every competition! :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
NEWS! Evgeni Plushenko is totally biased toward Yuzuru Hanyu!
NEWS! Evgeni Plushenko questions downgrades on Asada's 3A
NEWS! Commentator Evgeni Plushenko smashes a microphone during recording, cites anger at World Champion falling three times

Nah, commentating would really irk him. We gotta keep in mind that he won't only be watching the top 3-5. He'll need to watch the low-ranked first group skaters too--the ones with very limited jump content who can't even execute that properly. No matter how old he gets or how many surgeries he's been through, he's still better than the vast majority of the competitors.

But at the same time, just like how he can't comment without wanting to compete... can he coach without leaping onto the ice and just demonstrating the moves himself? I mean, if his student keeps failing at it and he gets annoyed...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about if he does interviews? Oh the irony. Ice level Plushy interviewing skaters right after their programs! :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Oh, you mean interviewing skaters after they perform? I dunno if his English is good enough for that (though he can do it for Russian TV, I guess)... I suspect it'll still be irksome to watch subpar performances, but it'll be better than commentating.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The full documentary is now on Youtube. :yay: It's 53 minutes, not 3 hours long. The first part is at the skating rink. Miyu is a very impressive little skater and of course it's a huge thrill to see Plushy back on the ice. Then we get a full tour of his house, which takes quite awhile. :laugh: Near the end, Miyu tries on his medals and he talks a bit about his history, I guess, and about Yuzuru and Mao. I do wish we could have heard him speaking instead of the voiceover...not that I understand Russian any better than Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLycSwlZlQ

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I was just about to post it. I think the full documentary is longer, but the part with Plushy is 53 minutes.

It would've been nice to hear him speak, but I understand Japanese a bit better than Russian. Anyway, this is possibly all wrong, but notable stuff I jotted down:

- When they are waiting for Plush to arrive in his car, Miyu says, "My heart is pounding"
- They’re surprised when Plush pulls out his skates. The man--Miyu's father?--asks if his injury is alright. He says it’ll be his first time on the ice after surgery.
- They are really, really impressed with his house, lol. Considering how small Japanese living spaces are, Plushenko's house must look like Versailles.
- Lots of praise from the narrator on Plushy: "the world’s best" "Russia’s hero" ect. Not sure who, but one of the people watching was like, “Plushenko is so cool” after the wine bottles part.
- “What a pretty wife!”--when Yana first appears. She totally rocks the casual look.
- I didn’t realize how sparkly the Sochi medal ceremony outfit really was. Somehow Plush managed to look manly while wearing it… but it looked like a ladies shirt when on the rack by itself. Then again, you can say the same for a lot of figure skating outfits.
- Out of the gigantic closet, only that tiny part is Plush’s. The rest is Yana’s space.
- Cuddly toys at the top of the closet were given by Japanese fans. Miyu and her father were extremely surprised/impressed when they heard just how many stuffed animals there were.
- Is it just me, or is the documentary a bit morbid at times? Showing the x-rays of his back, then the scar… And he keeps the removed screws next to the medals?! Hmm, maybe as a reminder?
- He talks about his well-known childhood near the end: the rink in his hometown closing, how poor his family was, needing to succeed at figure skating to help his family. I guess the lesson is--when in doubt, figure skate yourself out of poverty.

I wonder if Plush's house is always so perfect-looking, or if they went into a mad scramble to clean it when they realized it'll be filmed. I know the latter is unlikely, but I'm having fun imagining the mad cleaning session. :biggrin:

Esopian

Final Flight
That special was amazing to watch, my eyes went wide when they toured his house! It's literally room after room!! The TV station probably had a reason to bring Miyu to Russia to see these things, meaning they think she's talented and has a bright future in the skating field. Now I have a new junior I can look forward to watching! She's so talented, polite and cute! :)

Miyu's entire journey in Russia is a great documentary itself, I will download the video and go back to it when I want to see the amazing interior design of Plushenko's house. Seeing that this is broadcasted in Japan, Yuzuru probably watched this (if he had time); I can just imagine him being as surprised as us when Plushenko gave the viewers a tour of his mansion. Plushenko's son is really adorable, btw. :biggrin:

- When they are waiting for Plush to arrive in his car, Miyu says, "My heart is pounding"
- They’re surprised when Plush pulls out his skates. The man--Miyu's father?--

I think the man is just another announcer/MC (who works for the TV broadcast station) that went with them to Russia. In the second part, the announcer/MC changed.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
A picture of Miyu's father, Takeshi Honda, a two-time World bronze medalist and six-time national champion for Japan who's Daisuke's jumping coach: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...itMPQG0nf6PNDmLL1fEqbiOsI2JsK5Kfvx_dxJ30a17SA.

Watching the video and seeing Miyu's skating lessons with Evgeni Plushenko and him placing his Olympic medals around her neck, I can't help but think she's one very lucky girl! :)

Thanks for the video and the translations!

PS. Yuzuru credits Stephane for helping him out with his spins when Stephane came to Japan after the 3/11 earthquake. Both their spins are amazing, and also Jason Brown's.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
- Is it just me, or is the documentary a bit morbid at times? Showing the x-rays of his back, then the scar… And he keeps the removed screws next to the medals?! Hmm, maybe as a reminder?

Maybe he shows the scar and x-rays for the haters who still think his injury wasn't that serious...and perhaps he takes pride in them because it represents the sacrifices he made for the sport. I knew about the screws, but didn't really realize how large they were until he held them up...I would imagine that just daily life would be uncomfortable with those inside you, let alone trying to maintain your status as a world class figure skater with all of that holding you together! He is really made of some strong stuff...

I think my favorite part of his house was the indoor pool and sauna...the wine/vodka fridge was quite nice as well. ;) It was quite funny seeing Miyu's eyes looking like saucers as he showed her all the highlights. She really is a charming kid - seems very down to earth. I hope she has a bright future in skating.