Evgeni Plushenko | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

LRK

Record Breaker
No, he wouldn't go to that much trouble... Though the thought that they are tearing their hair in frustration that he's still there may just add that little extra bit of spice.... ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I bet the haters will go bald long before Plushy does. :laugh:

Y'know, wouldn't it be something if Plushy, Brian, and Hao Zhang all make it to the next Olympics? Up until this point, only an ice dance couple has been able to do five Olympics... If they all make it, they'll break the men's/pairs records simultaneously (Not sure what kind of record Brian will count as--4/5 men's and 1/5 pairs?).

I'm probably being way too optimistic (about all three of them)... but these are people who make the impossible possible.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, there's far too much pessimism in the world as is... maybe some overly optimism is needed to counter some of it. :)

Brian will set the record for first man to do 4/5 Olympics in men and 1/5 in pairs, of course. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I remember for those videos..I don't understand why the interpreter is hiding behind Plushy?? :laugh:

I would like to see him as a coach. He knows so much about the FS and he likes the children. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8acq8492xkc :) I hope Yana doesn't steal from the FS, Yana is working in the showbusiness completely different lifestyle. It is true she is not experiencing the lives of celebrities, she is working a lot on different projects. She is a workaholic...

This is an interview with Candeloro. They are good friends, in Vancouver Candeloro said Plushy should have won..:agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMrE7EBzNI I adore this video..the french accent, their jokes...so funny!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Plushy will eventually coach, but he loves to perform so much that he may be looking at that quite far down the road. Didn't Brian Orser do shows for almost 20 years before he started coaching?

The conversation about the haters made me smile - it's funny to me, how he rankles them so. It reminded me of this quote I came across on Instagram the other day. I'm not sure what interview it's from - the OP stated it was done before Vancouver 2010.

" Many people don't like me, many. But I'm going to skate, anyway. Why not? My enemies, they worry about me, because I'm back, and they afraid a little bit. It's great feelings, you know? After Olympic Games, when I have this great golden medal, of course, I said for myself. I didn't need any more competition. I have everything. I bought fast car, because I forgot this risky feelings. A couple of years, I live normal. But after two years, I feel like I need something. You need all the time fighting. Fighting with your enemy, with your rivals. First practice was hardest one in my life. When you jump first time after three and a half years. Wow! I can do it. I'm twenty-six but I can do it. I skate for fun right now. Because if I lose I have all titles already and nobody going to take this titles from me. Nobody going to steal it. Of course, it's my dream to skate in Olympic Games and skate better than 2006. I would like to be two-times Olympic champion, like Dick Button."

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't understand why the interpreter is hiding behind Plushy??
I think they didn't want too many people in the frame. The interpreter was better off being hidden--from the perspective of the TV station, I guess--to give the illusion that Plushy is talking directly to the interviewers. I agree, it does look helluva awkward.

@LRK
It'll be strange to have an Olympics with both Brian and Plushy... but they're not competing against each other.

LOL, Brian has become an honourary guest in this thread... Is it time for an LRK vs. Gallavich fight? :biggrin:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think Plushy will eventually coach, but he loves to perform so much that he may be looking at that quite far down the road. Didn't Brian Orser do shows for almost 20 years before he started coaching?

The conversation about the haters made me smile - it's funny to me, how he rankles them so. It reminded me of this quote I came across on Instagram the other day. I'm not sure what interview it's from - the OP stated it was done before Vancouver 2010.

" Many people don't like me, many. But I'm going to skate, anyway. Why not? My enemies, they worry about me, because I'm back, and they afraid a little bit. It's great feelings, you know? After Olympic Games, when I have this great golden medal, of course, I said for myself. I didn't need any more competition. I have everything. I bought fast car, because I forgot this risky feelings. A couple of years, I live normal. But after two years, I feel like I need something. You need all the time fighting. Fighting with your enemy, with your rivals. First practice was hardest one in my life. When you jump first time after three and a half years. Wow! I can do it. I'm twenty-six but I can do it. I skate for fun right now. Because if I lose I have all titles already and nobody going to take this titles from me. Nobody going to steal it. Of course, it's my dream to skate in Olympic Games and skate better than 2006. I would like to be two-times Olympic champion, like Dick Button."

Many people was angry because he said enemies not opponents. But I believe that was accidental, he has not used well, often doesn't feel the nuances of the English language.

Meoima

Match Penalty
"If you hate me, then it's your problem." I love this kind of attitude. It's true because no matter who you are, a saint or a normal fellow, people will eventually find faults at you so who cares. :biggrin: Go on! Plushy!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes, but he is calm he knows he has many enemies, but he has a really great fanbase in the whole world. He knows there isn't famous athlete, person who is beloved by everyone. Not to mention figure skating what is a very special sport, very subjective.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Many people was angry because he said enemies not opponents. But I believe that was accidental, he has not used well, often doesn't feel the nuances of the English language.

I can understand that. I also think when he spoke about Evan and his "podium hop" in Vancouver, and this year when the CNN interviewer asked him about the political situation in Russia, it wasn't possible for him to express himself as eloquently as he would have been able to do so in Russian. I give him credit for always trying his best though.

I agree that I love his attitude. Is there any video or gif out there of Plushy's "message to his haters" in Sochi? Where he said "thank you very much"? :laugh: I absolutely loved that moment. Maybe it was just the first English words that came into his head, but it was perfect. Short and sweet.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
@LRK
It'll be strange to have an Olympics with both Brian and Plushy... but they're not competing against each other.

LOL, Brian has become an honourary guest in this thread... Is it time for an LRK vs. Gallavich fight? :biggrin:

Oh no...I hope I haven't gotten a rep as a Brian hater :laugh: That's not me at all! I'm actually very curious to see him trying pairs!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Since Brian doesn't seem to have his own fan thread (just realized this!), I have nothing against keeping him as an honourary guest here. :biggrin: If he starts pairs though, there definitely should be a thread for him and his partner. At the very least, it'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Has anyone actually tried to change disciplines at 29?

Meh, I never got the big deal about Plushy's attitude. Enemies, opponents, whatever... minor semantics, especially for a guy who isn't very fluent at English (and whose interview got butchered up with dark Soviet imagery). I like that he speaks his mind. Then again, I've never been one to police a skater's (or singer's, or actor's, or any public figure's) attitude unless they broke a law or something. There are skaters that aren't my cup of tea but it's never due to their attitude.

LRK

Record Breaker
@galiavich - hey, we just need some fake drama, is all. ;) If you and I need to stage a fake virtual boxing match to avert boredom on this thread... ;)

@Sandpiper - Yes, Brian doesn't have his own thread - I'd have started one, maybe, but thought I'd be the only one posting in it. I don't think it's considered comme il faut to be a Brian fan these days.... He's not an "Artist" you know - just not Soulful enough. ;) And I'm not good at finding info, alas. And while I enjoy talking to myself as much as the next person, I don't need a forum to do it! ;)

I don't think Plushy would mind if Brian made the occasional guest appearance on his thread - he seems to appreciate Brian a lot, actually and has called him a "great skater" a number of times. And Brian respects Plushy a lot too, which I love. :) When I see Plushy has a new show, I scan the participants list - and am never surprised to see Brian's name on it.

Oh, someone had made a really good Plushy/Brian vid - but the account - and the vid with it - is gone, alas...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Maybe a general "Team France" thread would attract more eyes, like the Team Japan thread? I think they're an interesting, diverse group with great camaraderie (as they should, since the French invented the term!). I especially love the close relationship that Florent and Brian seem to have.

Here's a cute video of Plushy and Brian waving at each other on camera at Worlds 2004. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gVKxQ1XX4

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A Team France thread might be fun! But is Brian going to skate pairs for France, necessarily? It's too bad the situation in Team France is looking rather... sad... (P/B retiring with only World bronze, Brian uncertain, Florent Amodio still having trouble... They didn't even make the finals for the Team Event and Brian didn't even get to skate there... maybe if he'd skated the SP instead? :no:). But if Brian begins competing in pairs, I promise to post in the Team France thread (I'm not a diehard Brian fan, but I really appreciate all he's done over the years and will root for him all the way).

Thanks, Plushyfan, for the download! I've seen this interview quoted many times but never got to watch the video because I'm region-blocked for being Canadian. :laugh: It doesn't have the "Thank you to all my haters" quote (I think that was after the Team Event). But I like how he remains very positive here despite all the mud that's been slung at him. I know I wouldn't have kept it together nearly that well.

Brian and Plushy waving at each other in 2004 Worlds :clap: Who said manly alpha quad guys can't be cute?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hello Plushy fans, I am looking for young Plushy's video, something like his performance when he was still a kid, from 9 to 13,14 years old. Are there clips of Plushy avaiable at that age?
Thank you very much in advance.