Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Entries Cup of China 2012

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish
    Julia has gold if she shows the same consistency. I expected either Nagasu or Korpi to get silver, followed by Mao for bronze.
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue
    Julia is a brilliant skater - my prediction is that she'll get the gold here.
    2 - Kiira
    3 - Mao
    While I see predicting Julia for gold, I have to admit I'm pretty puzzled by people predicting Kiira over Mao.
    Mao is not an early season skater and has been struggling this last two seasons - but getting beaten by Kiira? Kiira is nice and everything, but she usually bombs the FS, and she did so at Finlandia too. With nicely inflated scores she got 181, but just 111 points in the FS (at euros last year it were only 166 and 105 in the FS) - Maos FS at JO tops that easily (and pretty much all her competitions last year except for worlds). Despite two underrotated jumps, egde call + invalid spin. I'm not saying this result is impossible, but I am a little puzzled here. Of course given that I love Mao and want her to get back to her old form

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy
    Mao is a wild card; I am losing faith in her - too many bad skates and still no decision - go for the triple axel or all the other jumps???? Make a decision and go with it Mao. Its now Mao or you better watch out for Gao
    What kind of decision? Mao is still practicing the 3A - she probably just wants to wait to put it back in her new programms. And she wants to do all the triples. What decision is she not making? Her practices at worlds included the 3A and all the other jumps if I remember correctly - and it would make sense. It'd give her the possibilty to skate a 8-triple FS, which would put her over the rest of the field "only" able to pack 7 triples into their programms. Mao is stubborn, I doubt she'll let go of the 3A.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    While I see predicting Julia for gold, I have to admit I'm pretty puzzled by people predicting Kiira over Mao.
    Mao is not an early season skater and has been struggling this last two seasons - but getting beaten by Kiira? Kiira is nice and everything, but she usually bombs the FS, and she did so at Finlandia too. With nicely inflated scores she got 181, but just 111 points in the FS (at euros last year it were only 166 and 105 in the FS) - Maos FS at JO tops that easily (and pretty much all her competitions last year except for worlds). Despite two underrotated jumps, egde call + invalid spin. I'm not saying this result is impossible, but I am a little puzzled here. Of course given that I love Mao and want her to get back to her old form

What kind of decision? Mao is still practicing the 3A - she probably just wants to wait to put it back in her new programms. And she wants to do all the triples. What decision is she not making? Her practices at worlds included the 3A and all the other jumps if I remember correctly - and it would make sense. It'd give her the possibilty to skate a 8-triple FS, which would put her over the rest of the field "only" able to pack 7 triples into their programms. Mao is stubborn, I doubt she'll let go of the 3A.
    I haven't been as impressed with Mao this past season. I feel like she's losing ground to the younger or up-and-coming skaters, like Nagasu and Korpi. And I agree that she can't abandon the 3A -- without it, she's lost her biggest advantage.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish
    I haven't been as impressed with Mao this past season. I feel like she's losing ground to the younger or up-and-coming skaters, like Nagasu and Korpi. And I agree that she can't abandon the 3A -- without it, she's lost her biggest advantage.
    Kiira is one year older than Mao... and I don't agree she's losing ground to Kiira or Mirai, where would those two have been that impressive? Obviously Mao lost ground to Ashley for example, but that's too because Ashley has really stepped it up. Mirai could beat Mao (without Mao making too many mistakes, I mean), but she really would need to get herself together, which I didn't see at Finlandia.

And I never said Mao needs the 3A to be competitive. Of course it gives her a huge advantage, but she wouldn't need it looking at the current ladies field. If clean, she could have 7 triples (though the lutz with an egde call), gets high PCS, has easily Lv4 spins with +GOE and step sequences now Lv4 with +GOE. That's hardly something I could see Kiira or Nagasu doing recently... the 3A isn't her biggest advantage. Her biggest advantage is her pure beautiful skating, when she gets it together.
    That might change till Sochi though, with the young Russians and Yuna coming back.

Custom Title
    Kiira is one year older than Mao... and I don't agree she's losing ground to Kiira or Mirai, where would those two have been that impressive? Obviously Mao lost ground to Ashley for example, but that's too because Ashley has really stepped it up. Mirai could beat Mao (without Mao making too many mistakes, I mean), but she really would need to get herself together, which I didn't see at Finlandia.

And I never said Mao needs the 3A to be competitive. Of course it gives her a huge advantage, but she wouldn't need it looking at the current ladies field. If clean, she could have 7 triples (though the lutz with an egde call), gets high PCS, has easily Lv4 spins with +GOE and step sequences now Lv4 with +GOE. That's hardly something I could see Kiira or Nagasu doing recently... the 3A isn't her biggest advantage. Her biggest advantage is her pure beautiful skating, when she gets it together.
    That might change till Sochi though, with the young Russians and Yuna coming back.
    Has Kiira ever skated a LP with more than 3 clean triple jumps?? If so how many times? lol my point exactly... it wasn't for 'Pretty Bonus' for most Finnish skater she would have never been on podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Has Kiira ever skated a LP with more than 3 clean triple jumps?? If so how many times? lol my point exactly... it wasn't for 'Pretty Bonus' for most Finnish skater she would have never been on podium.
    Here's one with 6 triples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcgAQBWJnY
    Also in her Vancouver LP she only missed her 2nd loop.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    At Euro-2012 FS Kiira landed four clean triples (3T+3T, 3S, 3S+2T), 3Lo<+2T+2Lo and invalid 3Lo (third repetition of triple), I don't know was it clean.
    Two her scored 3Lo at Euro-2012 (one at SP and one at FS) were URed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pohatta View Post
    Here's one with 6 triples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVcgAQBWJnY
    Also in her Vancouver LP she only missed her 2nd loop.
    Nationals 7 years ago. There were times, when Kostner landed 3F+3T+2Lo.

At Vancouver she landed four triples.

Custom Title
    Wow, you people really know how to count ) Go Kiira up on the podium! I just don't have the time to count anything while watching her programs because I enjoy it too much. But I know she has little chance to make the podium than Mao and Julia. Anyway, I would really be happy to see all three of them on the podium. I have a good feeling about that. I cant wait to see the ladies and their beautiful dresses, Kiira's and Mao's most af all.

Welcome, hippomoomin. Great nickname. Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiZ0eBFTH6k

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar

ITA. To be honest, Mao never needed the 3A. It was a trump card; a jump she could pull out to boost her even higher. Unfortunately, during the time she spent with Tarasova the 3A became her only playing card and carried the bulk of her technical score. Since parting with Tat, Mao has been focusing on getting a more well rounded arsenal of jumps and I commend her for that.

In this field, a clean Mao should (and probably will) beat anyone. 7 triples combined with her amazing skating skills, presentation, choreography, etc. will be very very difficult to beat. I think her FS is absolutely beautiful this year and a clean performance of it should score through the roof, easily beating out anything Julia or Kiira could come up with. The only person who could give Mao a toe-to-toe run for her money here is Mirai. When Mirai is on, she's on. The problem is she hasn't been on in a very long time...

A clean Kiira will score well. A clean Julia will score very well, though if you're comparing a clean Julia to a clean Mao, Julia might edge Mao out in the TES but Mao should flatten Julia in the PCS...should being the operative word here. Last week's results at SC show that just b/c a skater should get marks doesn't mean they actually will.

It's going to be a tough competition. There are a lot of potential medalists. It will come down to who is able to deliver...

Custom Title
    Mao has switched her focus from the 3A to all the triples; trying to do it all has not worked for Mao. It is the pc answer to say I am trying to do it all but so few ladies now can do the five triples before the axel - 3 toe, 3 sal, 3 loop, 3 flip and 3 lutz. At the olympics only t Rochette landed all the triples .

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy;673082[B
    ]Mao has switched her focus from the 3A to all the triples; trying to do it all has not worked for Mao[/B]. It is the pc answer to say I am trying to do it all but so few ladies now can do the five triples before the axel - 3 toe, 3 sal, 3 loop, 3 flip and 3 lutz. At the olympics only t Rochette landed all the triples .
    it has worked greatly for her, her 3S and 3Z is back in her program as well as a beautiful 2a-3t, and has landed all the tripples at several competitions already. it may have taken time, with many ups and downs that have slowed the process but i think she has done an amazing work soo far, especially considering the risky challenge she took upon herself, i can't think off anyone else who was willing to go through so much especially when considering she was already successful with her jumps as they were. but her going to this extend just shows how much respect she has for the sport. I just love how she as a person and a skater always evolves, and never stops challenging new things!
    Last edited by mary01; 11-01-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Custom Title
    I am not against Mao but it has taken two seasons and she still isn't that consistent with the refocussed jumps- she didn't even medal at world's this year. This has been going on for a while.

Custom Title
    On another note check out this great pic of Mirai from Finlandia in her sp dress. While it's a strange angle I think the dress looks great on her, and she looks really in shape to me!

http://universalsports.files.wordpre...na-article.jpg

Miserere Nobis

Hence my usage of the phrase "up-and-coming." I was aware that she was older than Mao. As for Mirai, she is gaining ground much faster than Mao is--you hardly hear her name mentioned anymore, and as sad as it is, it won't change unless she steps up to the plate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast