Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    220

    Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow

    Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow
    http://www.canada.com/sports/winter/...232/story.html
    Michael Slipchuk, Skate Canada's high-performance director, made notice of Osmond's achievement.

    "It was a huge step for her to be out on top," said Slipchuk, a former Canadian men's champion.

    He noted Osmond has proven herself on the domestic and international scene.

  2. #2
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Taan View Post
    Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow

    He noted Osmond has proven herself on the domestic and international scene.
    Proven herself? Hardly. She's a budding talent, to be sure, but two wins shed very little light on a skater's future career, especially when you see the state of her finishes last season.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    745
    If you read Slipchuk's comment he said proven herself domestically ( First in SP and 3rd overall in Nationals last year) and ( internationally Nebelhorn and Skate Canada). Has she proven herself for all time - NO but she certainly has proven that she is a very young girl to watch going forward and one to be nurtured correctly.

  4. #4
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by emdee View Post
    If you read Slipchuk's comment he said proven herself domestically ( First in SP and 3rd overall in Nationals last year) and ( internationally Nebelhorn and Skate Canada). Has she proven herself for all time - NO but she certainly has proven that she is a very young girl to watch going forward and one to be nurtured correctly.
    Certainly, as I said--and I did read his comment. Any "proven" skater is one with a solid establishment on the domestic and international scenes, which as of now, Osmond is not.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    Any "proven" skater is one with a solid establishment on the domestic and international scenes, which as of now, Osmond is not.
    To prove oneself - show one's ability or courage

    Why the nitpicking on something someone else said about her?

    Here's what she said about her win:

    “This (winning) is a little more shocking because it’s my first senior Grand Prix,” ... “On the Junior Grand Prix, I was always ninth or 10th, so this is just extraordinary.”

    I think it's pretty clear for her where she stands right now.

  6. #6
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    To prove oneself - show one's ability or courage

    Why the nitpicking on something someone else said about her?

    Here's what she said about her win:

    “This (winning) is a little more shocking because it’s my first senior Grand Prix,” ... “On the Junior Grand Prix, I was always ninth or 10th, so this is just extraordinary.”

    I think it's pretty clear for her where she stands right now.
    Pardon me for having a different definition of "prove." I simply disagree with Slipchuk's assessment, is all. Osmond has undoubtedly shown her potential, but in my view, one victory does not a skater make.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •