Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow | Golden Skate

Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow

ForeverFish

Medalist
Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow

He noted Osmond has proven herself on the domestic and international scene.

Proven herself? Hardly. She's a budding talent, to be sure, but two wins shed very little light on a skater's future career, especially when you see the state of her finishes last season.

emdee

Final Flight
If you read Slipchuk's comment he said proven herself domestically ( First in SP and 3rd overall in Nationals last year) and ( internationally Nebelhorn and Skate Canada). Has she proven herself for all time - NO but she certainly has proven that she is a very young girl to watch going forward and one to be nurtured correctly.

ForeverFish

Medalist
If you read Slipchuk's comment he said proven herself domestically ( First in SP and 3rd overall in Nationals last year) and ( internationally Nebelhorn and Skate Canada). Has she proven herself for all time - NO but she certainly has proven that she is a very young girl to watch going forward and one to be nurtured correctly.

Certainly, as I said--and I did read his comment. Any "proven" skater is one with a solid establishment on the domestic and international scenes, which as of now, Osmond is not.

Puchi

On the Ice
Any "proven" skater is one with a solid establishment on the domestic and international scenes, which as of now, Osmond is not.

To prove oneself - show one's ability or courage

Why the nitpicking on something someone else said about her?

Here's what she said about her win:

“This (winning) is a little more shocking because it’s my first senior Grand Prix,” ... “On the Junior Grand Prix, I was always ninth or 10th, so this is just extraordinary.”

I think it's pretty clear for her where she stands right now.

ForeverFish

Medalist
To prove oneself - show one's ability or courage

Why the nitpicking on something someone else said about her?

Here's what she said about her win:

“This (winning) is a little more shocking because it’s my first senior Grand Prix,” ... “On the Junior Grand Prix, I was always ninth or 10th, so this is just extraordinary.”

I think it's pretty clear for her where she stands right now.

Pardon me for having a different definition of "prove." I simply disagree with Slipchuk's assessment, is all. Osmond has undoubtedly shown her potential, but in my view, one victory does not a skater make.

emdee

Final Flight
Foreverfish - definitions are definitions.
You had a different usuage of English ie your own interpretation of the word!

Slipchuk didnt say that one ( or two victories) made her - she said she has proved herself to him ( and to some of us). Whether she will continue in this vein only time will tell but I wish her the best.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Interesting that one word gets all the attention and debates. It's never stated what Kaetlyn proved. I'm sure she proved something. And she will likely keep on proving different things. I wish her the best whether or not she will turn out to be one of the all time greats.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What's shocking is it turns out Canada hasn't had to wait another 10 years for a world class skater. It seems like Canada usually averages one really good skater a decade. This time it only took two years.

Ravensque

On the Ice
What's shocking is it turns out Canada hasn't had to wait another 10 years for a world class skater. It seems like Canada usually averages one really good skater a decade. This time it only took two years.

Hallejula to that!!!! I might not be alive in a decade so it would be nice to see a Canadian lady make a hit on the World scene. She has already drawn 2 facecards, I hope she goes on to get the whole deck.

oksanafan

Match Penalty
Given that Akiko Suzuki was the real winner of Skate Canada, this kind of article makes me want to vomit. Yuk!! What a load of nauseating garbage. Firstly, we get the Judging scandal, and then they rub peoples noses in it.

To those who still believe this nonsense and haven't yet woken up and smelt the coffee, John Lydon put it best at the end of his last Sex Pistols concert - "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?".

I hope the Osmond political fix was a one off, otherwise Figure Skating is heading in the same direction as cycling following the Lance Armstrong scandal - into oblivion.

emdee

Final Flight
Given that Akiko Suzuki was the real winner of Skate Canada, this kind of article makes me want to vomit. Yuk!! What a load of nauseating garbage. Firstly, we get the Judging scandal, and then they rub peoples noses in it.

To those who still believe this nonsense and haven't yet woken up and smelt the coffee, John Lydon put it best at the end of his last Sex Pistols concert - "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?".

I hope the Osmond political fix was a one off, otherwise Figure Skating is heading in the same direction as cycling following the Lance Armstrong scandal - into oblivion.

Have you considered that posts like yours give others similar desires ( to vomit).

Osmond won fair and square with two strong programs Suzuki squandered her chances with a poor short program.

Just because you say there is a fix doesnt make it true.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Foreverfish - definitions are definitions.
You had a different usuage of English ie your own interpretation of the word!

Slipchuk didnt say that one ( or two victories) made her - she said she has proved herself to him ( and to some of us). Whether she will continue in this vein only time will tell but I wish her the best.

Sorry, but I don't see where the debate is regarding my view of Slipchuk's comment. I disagree with him. End of story.

Can't we let let the girl bask and glow a little?

There will be plenty of chances to tear into her later on. :cool:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Can't we let let the girl bask and glow a little?

There will be plenty of chances to tear into her later on. :cool:

Well, certainly she should be proud. She's shown herself to be a contender this season, and planted herself firmly on the international radar. It's no easy feat to emerge victorious atop a field of skaters including Suzuki, Tukta, and Murakami. I'm wishing her all the best at Canadian Nats and Worlds (which, if she skates like she did in Canada, she'll have no trouble qualifying for).

Mao88

Record Breaker
Osmond won fair and square with two strong programs

I'm sorry, but that is not the case. In Kaetlyn's FS, there were edge calls on her 3F and 3Z, 3 negative GOE's, she fell on her 3Z, and badly botched her landing on her 3T. That was most certainly not a strong program. Objectively, it was the 4th best FS on the night, and at most Kaetlyn deserved the bronze, just edging out Liza for 3rd place.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No, subjectively, it was the fourth best FS on the night. Subjectively, it was also the second best. Subjectively, it was third best (imo, I'd have her slightly ahead of Tuktamisheva). Subjectively, it was terrible and should have never been shown. Subjectively it was the best thing since the wheel.

Objectively, it was the second ranked free skate at Skate Canada 2012 and combined with her short program was enough to give her the win.

That said, when you say KO deserved the bronze, I think Krylova/Ovsiannikov.

Mao88

Record Breaker
No, subjectively, it was the fourth best FS on the night. Subjectively, it was also the second best. Subjectively, it was third best (imo, I'd have her slightly ahead of Tuktamisheva). Subjectively, it was terrible and should have never been shown. Subjectively it was the best thing since the wheel.

Objectively, it was the second ranked free skate at Skate Canada 2012 and combined with her short program was enough to give her the win.

Yes - its my opinion (and that of many others looking at the comments in all the forums and on YouTube). However, with 2 edge calls, 3 negative GOE's, a fall, a badly botched landing, and PCS marks that were way too high, I'd say the view that she should have been placed 4th in the FS is a sound one

ForeverFish

Medalist

It's true that Akiko didn't give her best performance during the short program, but even with that in mind, Kaetlyn's FS scores were quite inflated.