Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Osmond basks in Skate Canada afterglow

Mao88

Record Breaker
As would I. Just not an objective one.

Objective means uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices. Unbiased. Impartial (i.e. an 'objective opinion' is one that is undistorted by emotions and prejudices). I believe that my view that KO should have been placed 4th in the FS is an objective (i.e. impartial) one based upon the previously mentioned faults in her program. Nevertheless, there are some that believe that no decision/judgement/opinion can ever be arrived at in any area of life objectively (i.e. without bias), and at best it can only ever be subjective. Perhaps that is the case, but that is a philosophical subject that belongs in another place. :)

Last edited:

hohoho

On the Ice
I would hate to see competitions that are marked by the "judges" on the forums. The majority are commenting based on what was seen on TV or internet. One judge gave KO a 9 in the PCS. From my understanding to the CoP system, the lowest and highest markes are thrown out and then random among the remaining.

For the people posting, they seem to forget that this was a 2-program event. Suzuki had problems in the short. To me she was "propped" by the judges because of who she was. Reading the posts on here and other forums, people believe Suzuki should have 8-9 in PCS across the board because she is World Bronze medallist. Maybe the judges actually judged on what they saw instead of what the history is of the skater. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be.

I was at the event and there was no doubt that KO's speed and pressence was way above Suzuki. And Suzuki did not have a squeeky-clean FS. KO may have fell on the lutz but it was rotated so only fall deduction. The only other mistake was the step out on the toe. But again it was rotated. She took those deductions, but it didn't interfere with the flow and execution of the program. Suzuki did not have the spin speed or centering of KO. KO did score a similar score at Nebelhorn (114.6) as a newcomer. Two different judging panels giving basically same mark. And KO performed better at SCI. I was happy to see that KO scored similar to Nebelhorn.

People have to understand that KO did not tell the judges the mark she deserved. The judges gave her the marks. So if there is any bashing it should be against the judges and not KO. From being at the rink, for both programs, I think the judges got it correct. People have to look at both programs and compare instead of just the FS.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Osmond won with a little bit home town advantage, as of many many skaters' win in their own country, Japan, USA, Russia... This level of outrage on Osmond's win is over the top.:slink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would hate to see competitions that are marked by the "judges" on the forums. The majority are commenting based on what was seen on TV or internet. One judge gave KO a 9 in the PCS. From my understanding to the CoP system, the lowest and highest markes are thrown out and then random among the remaining.

For the people posting, they seem to forget that this was a 2-program event. Suzuki had problems in the short. To me she was "propped" by the judges because of who she was. Reading the posts on here and other forums, people believe Suzuki should have 8-9 in PCS across the board because she is World Bronze medallist. Maybe the judges actually judged on what they saw instead of what the history is of the skater. Isn't that the way it is supposed to be.

I was at the event and there was no doubt that KO's speed and pressence was way above Suzuki. And Suzuki did not have a squeeky-clean FS. KO may have fell on the lutz but it was rotated so only fall deduction. The only other mistake was the step out on the toe. But again it was rotated. She took those deductions, but it didn't interfere with the flow and execution of the program. Suzuki did not have the spin speed or centering of KO. KO did score a similar score at Nebelhorn (114.6) as a newcomer. Two different judging panels giving basically same mark. And KO performed better at SCI. I was happy to see that KO scored similar to Nebelhorn.

People have to understand that KO did not tell the judges the mark she deserved. The judges gave her the marks. So if there is any bashing it should be against the judges and not KO. From being at the rink, for both programs, I think the judges got it correct. People have to look at both programs and compare instead of just the FS.

Thanks for the rink report! I was hoping someone who was there would give their view -- as I know that sometimes some things that you can't see on TV.

That said, I do believe Akiko was marked down considerably in PCS for her mistakes relative to the FS, so I don't quite agree she was given a world bronze medalist bonus. (Alena Leonova got much more of a bonus at SKAM despite skating a very poor program).

Finally, I think many posters DO understand its the judges to critique, not Osmond. Certainly my thoughts have been focused on the judging and I've tried to emphasize that I think Osmond is a promising skater regardless of how the event was judged.

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
It seems so clear that some people are not like you MrsP and are now angry that a young girl from Canada has come out of nowhere and may be 'taking' away fame and winnings from their prized skaters. At this stage in the young KO's life fame can go away as easily as it comes. As I said only time will tell whether she matures into a skater of note or not.

Last edited: