2012 Cup of China Short Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Short Dance

KKonas

Medalist
I'm with Doris on this one. I don't like the can-can for a polka, they skated it okay technically but did not really have a great polka expression - due mostly to the can-can music.

KKonas

Medalist
I thought Chock & Bates vastly improved especially in speed. They will challenge Hubbell & Donohue for the 3rd spot at Nationals.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Me , too , in regard to P/B's CanCan. It made the whole polka section just seem off to me . I don't know enough to be able to watch closely and keep count..;) ..and it seemed off-time enough that I would have thought they'd score poorly in the polka..

It also bothered me that they had to slow the music down. Haven't seen any of the FDs yet, but didn't care for their Stones program from the French Masters , so I have reservations ..

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
P/B looked strong and confident. That said, the program clearly doesn't work the way it's currently constructed. It slows down almost immediately, and the Yankee Polka seems almost dirgelike due to the timing issues.

Besides those problems, I think there is a real cognitive disconnect between the can-can and the polka. Now I can buy D/W's transposition of ballet music into a polka program, because I can imagine those happy villagers actually dancing the polka, but not for one minute can I believe that the can-can dancers of the Folies Bergere are going to get up and dance an exuberant--or in this case, an almost dirge-like--polka. Holy cognitive dissonance, Batman! It's not an organic concept--it's a gimmick.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm always unwilling to criticize the timing of dancers at CoC, because most years, the audio and video feeds are not well synchronized. I wait for the British Eurosport version, because they generally do a pretty good job of fixing the feed prior to broadcast.

And may I say that the ISU should ban those Sky Cam shots :bang: :bang:

Macassar88

Medalist
I'm always unwilling to criticize the timing of dancers at CoC, because most years, the audio and video feeds are not well synchronized. I wait for the British Eurosport version, because they generally do a pretty good job of fixing the feed prior to broadcast.

Yes please!
Also, the cameramen and the person who decides which feeds are shown when during the performances at CoC should all be shot!
Showing those up close shots so often really annoys me - also, why do they change shots so much? It gets me dizzy!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
May I add, as a note to CoC camerapeople: a lift is not the best time to go in for a closeup. Just sayin'...

KKonas

Medalist

It is the Director who tells the cameramen how to shoot the program, so it is he/she who deserves the blame.

KKonas

Medalist
FYI- Generally speaking, the host country provides the feed. The Director of the TV company providing the feed sits outside the arena in a trailer with lots of technical equipment. Earlier the Director watches the practices and makes notes. Once the competition begns, the director then instructs the cameramen on how to position the camera and take the shot.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

Yes, especially during the death spirals in pairs and the pattern dances!! I couldn't understand if the positions and/or the steps were good or not...

Macassar88

Medalist
Yes, especially during the death spirals in pairs and the pattern dances!! I couldn't understand if the positions and/or the steps were good or not...

Also spins - sure you can see if their spin is well centered, but you can't see any positions or changes of position. It's awful.