Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do you love skater X?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the key is, do you like your favorite just as much when he/she fails and when he/she succeeds?

Do you guys remember the Hallmark card commercial, where a mother is sending her daughter out on the ice for her first competition? The mother gives the daughter two cards, and says, "Open this one if you win, and this one if you don't."

So the daughter sneaks and opens the first card. On the outside is says, "Do you know how special you are?" And on the inside: "I do."

Then she opens the second card. "Do you know how special you are?" "I do."

(Aw, I'm breaking my own heart, That's right up there with the one about the birthday card for the piano teacher. )
    Wasnt Ann Patrice McDonnaugh (sp) the skater? Oh, the irony...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    sapphiresky, welcome to GS!
    Thanks so much, it's good to be here!

I like Mathman's "I think the key is, do you like your favorite just as much when he/she fails and when he/she succeeds? "
    The definition of "success"- I suppose is the technical side of things. It's hard for me to dislike a skater when they don't succeed on jumps because often times, their other qualities shine through no matter what. It's good to give skaters a break sometimes and not being on their case every time a mistake is made.

In response to R.D.'s question about fandom: I feel like I have a need to reply to unfair criticisms about a skater if I have more background knowledge about them (most likely because I liked them to begin with to read up more about them) and someone is spreading horrible rumours about them, especially if someone is trolling and writing crappy posts just b/c they really dislike someone. I'm not sure if it has to do with fandom per say, more like having to do with not being able to stand unfair comments.

That being said, it's also hard for me to change an opinion about someone if they have shown an attitude that I've disliked continuously in previous interviews.
    Last edited by sapphiresky; 11-05-2012 at 02:34 AM.

When Todd Eldredge performs, everyone leaves the area smiling. Guaranteed.

I think the key is, do you like your favorite just as much when he/she fails and when he/she succeeds?
    Yes, and not just for Todd, but for many other favorites!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's an interesting question.

Two reasons people like a particular skater haven't been mentioned:

1. Because they are of the same religion (another case of identifying with the skater). I remember a case of a particular fan who hated and was very vocal about one skater. When it was revealed that the skater was the same religion as the fan, all of a sudden the fan had positive things to say about the skater. It was quite a shocker.

2. Because someone/many people they either associate with or respect likes that skater. This works in politics too.

3. Because the skater won. Everyone likes to be associated with a winner (another thing that also works in politics)

As to what makes me like one skater or another:

1. Do they surprise me? I am a sucker for something cool, new & creative, or just something I haven't seen before that is perfectly done:
    Shawn Sawyer's extreme flexibility/spiral
    Rohene Ward's layback and ability to spin both ways
    Tonya Harding's Huge jumps
    Jason Brown has any number of cool moves
    Toller Cranston ditto
    Torvill & Dean
    Duchesnays
    Davis & White's Giselle
    Virtue & Moir's Pink Floyd

If a team or skater can keep surprising me most every season, then I become a real fan.

2. Do they have a good sense of musical timing? Do the jumps land or go up on a high point in the music? Do the skaters make me feel the music more intensely? If so, I just love them. (This is one reason I just love the dancers) It is easier to get this effect live than watching TV because of problems synching audio & video feeds)

The Protopopovs

I'm as susceptible as anyone else to rooting for people I've met personally & liked, too, which has nothing to do with whether they deserve to win or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Reading some posts tonight, I began to wonder: what is it that makes a person *really* love a particular skater or pair/dance team? This discussion has probably already been had here before. I apologize; I am a relative newcomer. I think it is an interesting question that requires some introspection.

So, my question is: Does anyone have a theory of this (not of my preferences, but of why people like the skaters they like)? I am inclined to think one deceives oneself insofar as one thinks, “I love skater X because skater X is just the best!” Or, less ambitiously, what concrete criteria does a skater have to satisfy for you to love them (i.e., be their defender on internet discussion threads)?
    I have wondered about this, too. The skater that comes to mind for me is Daisuke Takahashi, and even I don't fully understand why I love him so much.

This basically summarizes it all:

Quote Originally Posted by sapphiresky View Post
    I love a skater based on how much they can move me with their skating- they show conviction and a love for what they do through their skating, paying attention to not just one element but to every little nuance, and making things look easy. It's also important to me that a skater is not arrogant, but is willing to work hard and continue to improve despite getting to the top, and it's always important to remain humble (so how much I like a skater also depends on how much I like them as a person).
    I started watching skating on the 2010 GP, and Daisuke's skating just grabbed me. I hadn't watched any skating before, so I had no idea who he or any of the others were, but I fell in love with his skating and how he sold the program and performed for the crowd like no one else did. That's why I love his skating. Because he, unlike anyone else, can make me feel. He's really a dancer, and you can tell, when he's on, that his whole body is feeling the music, and I think that's why he can make me feel and move me emotionally. Because he is 100% connected to the music and dedicated to the program and choreography.

And I like him for off-ice reasons, too, for who he is as a person. And it is not the case of identifying with someone, because I am American, not Japanese, and I don't believe we share a religion or anything else that was mentioned. But Daisuke, off-ice, is such a class act. I think of after the earthquake/tsunami in Japan in 2011, when Daisuke came up with the idea to have a charity exhibition to raise money for relief efforts, and proposed it to other skaters. He went ahead and skated in the event, even though he had Worlds just a few weeks away. Also, I read this on the IFS facebook page today, "Heard heartwarming story from Cup of China. At closing banquet raffle Daisuke's coach won a smartphone. As Daisuke already had the same one he decided to give it to Nan Song who attended the banquet wearing a neckbrace. Daisuke told Nan that he wished him a quick recovery and hoped to compete with him at 4CC in Osaka." It is things like this that make me love Daisuke.

The answer to this question is yes. I would like Daisuke just as much if he came in last as I would if he came in first. Even if he were to miss the World or Olympic team, it wouldn't change my opinion of him. He has still given so many beautiful programs that can make my day brighter just by watching them. I like a lot of skaters and there are many that I follow and cheer for, but when Daisuke kills his programs, he has a captivating effect on me, and because of this, Daisuke will always be number one in my eyes.

Down With It
    This point flirts with that all-important distinction of fairweather fan vs. true fan.

I must stress, fairweather fandom isn't necessarily a bad thing. Everyone likes a winner. In fact, it can be good in a way- and here is an example. You see it all the time in team sports- when a city's team does well, suddenly everyone is hanging signs and watching/attending games. They help fill up the arenas and pump up the surrounding atmosphere. True fans stick around even when the team does poorly- and they are essentially the life-blood and support of this team, as they keep buying the tickets and merchandise. But the fairweather fans come in droves when the team is winning and help to provide that electric atmosphere that is so infectious during the playoffs. Eliminate them from the equation and you still have an enthusiastic crowd, but it is much smaller.

Translating this to skating, or individual sports, it's a little trickier. I'm sure most athletes would much rather have the fans who stick by them through thick and thin than the ones who are plentiful when everything's good, but vanish when the going gets tough. Sort of like how friends work...who are your REAL friends?

Quote Originally Posted by sapphiresky View Post
    In response to R.D.'s question about fandom: I feel like I have a need to reply to unfair criticisms about a skater if I have more background knowledge about them (most likely because I liked them to begin with to read up more about them) and someone is spreading horrible rumours about them, especially if someone is trolling and writing crappy posts just b/c they really dislike someone. I'm not sure if it has to do with fandom per say, more like having to do with not being able to stand unfair comments.
    Well, this is a fair point. I don't have to "like" someone to feel an unfair comment is being made. I do this a lot as well.

I was really getting at reactions to more mild criticisms, say perhaps "she's slow" or "she does nothing for me" type of comments. Not the inflammatory type. I see strong reactions by fans of some of these skaters who are being criticized mildly and I want to know why they do it- the psychology behind why they feel the need to be defensive.

This is more my tendency toward U.S. skaters -- my like for a skater and/or skaters tends to involve things beyond what they do on the ice.
    For example, I like the Shibutanis because they are fun outside of the ice. I love that Maia and Alex have such great senses of humor with their Facebook + Twitter posts and YouTube videos. Also the fact they make an effort to stay connected with fans via those mediums also is quite attractive to me. Combined with the fact they are some of the hardest workers in Ice Dance (how many times did they change that pesky Latin SD again?), it makes me a fan regardless of how they do.

Rachael Flatt is another skater I tend to like because I like her off-ice personality and also her work ethic. She is definitely passionate about life and all the things within it, which in some ways could be her downfall because she is doing too much, but regardless I admire someone who clearly loves life so much. Granted I like other people's skating better than Rachael's, but I am a fan for all the other reasons above and I think there are still some great aspects to her skating as well that people tend to down play -- namely enthusiasm, persistence and power.

Ross Miner is another skater I feel many downplay, but I just love his slow, steady and calm approach. I think in the age of flashy, showy skating, Ross Miner's smooth skating style is refreshing. I like that he just goes out there in the ice and skates his program good, bad or otherwise and does it with little pretension. Also in regardless to off-ice personality, I love his dry sense of humor on Twitter, especially when he teams up with his buddies, the Shibs.

Outside of the U.S...

Akiko Suzuki is a skater who I like because of her passion for life and skating. I can't understand Japanese, but I just love how she takes photos of whatever comes to mind and post them on Twitter. I appreciate a skater who can see greatness in the little things and I think that shows in the nuances of her skating.

Daisuke Takahashi, as others pointed out, gets fans because he performs his heart out each and every time. He is not perfect, but regardless you always come away glad you saw Daisuke skate. I love his performance style.

There are others, so perhaps I'll elaborate more when I have a chance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Wow - sapphiresky, you couldn't have said it better. I will say that the one aspect that turns me completely off with a skater is arrogance!!! And that's one of the reasons I've never been able to stomach several male skaters in particular. Like anybody who is at the top of their game in sports, the true classic sportsman is the one who has alot of self-confidence but doesn't smack you in the face with it. They let their performance do the talking!! And the swaggering and the posturing is completely unnecessary! Under the new rules, I appreciate any skater that can get all their elements in with top points but not make you feel like they're just skating from one trick to another to get those points. I like seamless transitions, someone who clearly feels the music and engages their performance with the crowd. I would love to see Michelle Kwan skating at the peak of her competition years under the new rules! To me she embodied all that was good or should be good about figure skating. She was athletic, beautiful, graceful and she could deliver. And in none of the interviews I either read or saw her do did she come off as a spoiled brat who was full of herself!!! I haven't seen enough of the "new" skaters to have a full appreciation for them yet.
    Sadly, Michelle really never had much time nor did she conform well to COP. Some her spirals and spins were downgraded and her jumps were "puny" compared to Slutskaya or an on Kostner, Rochette, Sokolova, Kim, Asada, Suzuki et al. She was the 6.0 queen.

Custom Title
    If I concentrate on the men´s skating only and think about my biggest favourites of all time, they all are rather different as skaters:

John Curry
    Robin Cousins
    Philippe Candeloro
    Alexei Urmanov
    Ilia Kulik
    Stephane Lambiel
    Jeffrey Buttle
    Evan Lysacek
    Daisuke Takahashi
    Patrick Chan
    Javier Fernandez

Definetely I´m not enthusiastic about skaters because they are coming from a certain country and could not care less about the religion... Maybe it is the effortless way they move on the ice (with the exception of Candeloro), the speed (well Curry was not a fast skater, but what did I know about those things in that time???). Apparently I do like tall skaters most (exceptions being Candeloro, Takahashi, Chan and Fernandez, which I like in spite of them being short). Anyway it is a lot more difficult to skate and especially jump if you are about 6” tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Sadly, Michelle really never had much time nor did she conform well to COP. Some her spirals and spins were downgraded and her jumps were "puny" compared to Slutskaya or an on Kostner, Rochette, Sokolova, Kim, Asada, Suzuki et al. She was the 6.0 queen.
    Michelle's jumps were certainly not puny compared to Akiko or Mao. They had great flow and distance as much as them or even better.
    Last edited by l'etoile; 11-06-2012 at 05:40 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Michelle, lutz 2003 Worlds, near the end of her career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Aux0Sf0#t=184s

While not a Hardingesque lutz, it's got full height, rotation and lots of flow out.

my point of views:
    I love the skaters
    1. has an unmistakable style
    2. has charisma
    3. has personality on and off ice
    4. diverse ( she/ he can convey different feelings in the skating)
    5. enjoyable to watch in every aspect( skating, outfit, shape, I don't like the too small skaters)
    6. I like if the girls are pretty, fit for skating(for example I don't like Mae Berenice Meite, she has beautiful body, but she needs to go to run)

My favorite male skaters:

female skaters

1. Lu Chen
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Yuna Kim
    4. Michelle Kwan
    5. Maria Butyrskaya
    6. Sizuka Arakawa

male skaters:

1. Evgeni Plushenko (plus he never disappoint)
    2. Ilia Kulik
    3.Robin Cousins
    4.Philippe Candeloro
    5.Alexei Yagudin
    6.Yuzuru Hanyu

and even more....
    Last edited by plushyfan; 11-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Custom Title
    Great question! In general, I tend to prefer skaters who have a definitive style (whatever that style may be), unique choreography and are capable of skating to a wide range of music. The skaters I like are pretty diverse, but among female skaters, I tend to prefer more powerful, athletic skaters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2