2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
AlexRus said:
If somebody may translate better and will do it - welcome!

I'm sorry AlexRus if our comments made it sound like we aren't appreciating your effort - it's not like that. It's much appreciated and I think you're doing a really good job, so thank you. It's probably really just how things sound different in different languages.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice skate by the ladies. I do like Korpi - she is very elegant and beautiful and so well dressed but I do find her overscored in fairness to the other ladies. She somehow always makes a mistake and I don't find her skating skills significant enough to hold her up - she should be say 2 points down imho = though she is a thing of beauty lol. Nice work by Mao and Julia - Julia needs to senior up her routines but that will come. Liked the joy of Mao but not sure it is the best COP program especially artistically. Mind you Katarina Witt got away with it but she is Katarina Witt lol. Nice work by Mirai - she isn't giving it up to Miss Gold, Agnes, Alissa, Wagner, Zhang, Gao and all. Lacoste is fighting too - I wonder what seriously is going on in that head of hers with Osmond breathing down her back or maybe better put moved past her as the Canadian "it" girl.

naan

Rinkside
Julia's spin is just :eek:! Her flexibility and speed of her spin are just incredible. It's great that she tried difficult jumps, but they look somewhat tiny, and she has no flow out of the jumps at all. Anyway it was brilliant performance, I think she was underscored a little.

So happy to see bright Mao! Her lightness, softness, and flow are just amazing. Jumps look tiny and some spin looks slow, though. She was enjoying her skate and it makes me happy, but the program was too juniorish for her. I felt like watching 14-year-old Mao.

I enjoyed Mirai's skating! The music suits her well, and it was a good program. She looks heavy though.

Zijun was just amazing! It was delightful to watch, and her jumps look solid. She wuz robbed!

Last edited:
Country
Russia
I thought the same thing. This "What should I be nervous for?" or "Asada by the way - nothing special"
What should I be nervous for?" - means "if I'll be not nervous - i'll skate better".

Nothing special with respect to that she've seen at TV.
She did not tell that Asada is "nothing special".

Now i remember a Sotnikova's interview at YOG, where she told "we and other children" (about competitors).
Somebody screamed "She called other competitors children!!!", but in fact she said so about all the competitors - herself, Tuktamysheva and others. Maybe, emphasising that competitions are not Senior.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Not sure which one is dumber, google translate or the one who reads it as it is. I have to agree julia has to improve showmanship. Every skaters should take some acting leasons. Fake it till you make it, act like youre the best and doesnt give a fck when you fall to your butt in your jumps. After all this sports is a subjective sport. If you act anmd feel like a champion, judges and even fans would atleast think that you are a capable to win. Example, elizaveta, not so good basics, so-so coreo, tacky costume and good jumps, but oozing confidence and belief in self = contender/ possible champ. But then i might be wrong lol

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I know Julia didn't mean that Mao was nothing special, it just sounded a little irritating to me - like she was pretty indifferent there. But I don't mean to over-interpret those sentences and think ill of Julia or anything. She's a sweet girl, I know she didn't mean to speak bad about anyone else.

mary01

Final Flight
well the only thing i remember about Julia's program is her robotic way of skating and freakish flexibility, and for me what makes a great program great, is when it's memorable! and hers definitely wasn't.

I loved Mao's new sp, once again it's something different, the steps were exquisite, loved the flow and speed. I also think that her interpretation of the music was spot on. she also really looked like she was having fun out there!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Not sure which one is dumber, google translate or the one who reads it as it is.
I don't even know why anyone would take a google translate seriously :laugh:

I know Julia didn't mean that Mao was nothing special, it just sounded a little irritating to me - like she was pretty indifferent there. But I don't mean to over-interpret those sentences and think ill of Julia or anything. She's a sweet girl, I know she didn't mean to speak bad about anyone else.

you realize that was translated from translate.google right ? :confused:
even I when translating from google had to manually erase and change many things from the words used by google

though I agree that her coach should have told her that Finlandia was inflated scoring

Last edited:
Country
Russia
I'm sorry AlexRus if our comments made it sound like we aren't appreciating your effort
No, I do not think so.

I mean that I will be really happy if somebody else will translate better than I can.
But unfortunately nobody does, so better are my not so good translations than nothing.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
sky_fly20 said:
I don't even know why anyone would take a google translate seriously.
you realize that was translated from translate.google right ?

Yepp, I do. Still even google translate is capable of translating a "No, why?" two words sentence - if you think the translation is THAT bad, the only actually clever thing to do would be to just not use it from the beginning.
Anyway, I don't want to continue spaming this thread about stuff like that...

lavender said:
So if Mao would have added a 3/3 in her short she would be far out ahead.

It's more likely she'll be going for the 3A, since the 2A is her first element. So probably a 3-3 isn't planned at all (I'm not sure if I like it that way though).

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just watched the top 3 ladies... want to see how Li Zijun did. Sad to see she got no home bonus even in Cup of China :sarcasm:, especially compare with Kaetlyn at Skate Canada (Maybe the judges were careful to avoid another mass complaints like SC, but poor ZiJun paid the price). She only received 25.42 for her PCS - 5th in the rankings... ouch! When her TES was 33.79, 2nd overall, and above Mao (31.83) and Mirai (31.04). I think it is suffice to say China rank among the no power federation.

Watching the top ladies 3 videos in sequence leaves me with funny and weird feeling.

It appears the senior ladies Mao and Mirai are competing back in a junior competition with their Juniorish programs, and Julia is cramming 2 programs into the same space of time (just because she can) and it became a bit absurd half way through with the amount she is doing, she made the other 2 senior ladies look ridiculous like they are taking lazy strolls in comparison.

Mao: First half I was waiting patiently thinking, 'So.... where's the rhythm, where's the music??' Then all suddenly step sequence comes on, Bammm...there it is? Is that all? It was Bucks Fizz (Complete with artificial colours and flavourings, oh the florescent costume and pony tail. It is the disco 80s baby!) without gas on the first half, then suddenly all the air gurgled out intermittently at last minute, and it was good while it flows. I am not sure if it works as a whole, but I guess Mao fans will probably love the more cute and lighter Mao that seems to be her public persona, and matches the one back her junior days. Even with the Juniorish technical content. No 3A, No 3/3s, is this really worthy of a 2 times world champion program? This is not an exhibition. I wonder if she is taking the Carolina Kostner approach to the worlds.

Mirai: I thought she looks great and more comfortable on ice than she have been in ages!!! Love the dark eyes make up, costume. I miss this Mirai, who attacked her program, who loves to perform, who cares about projection to the audience and embraced her program. Mirai looks to be in great shape, and hopefully will deliver tomorrow. I really want to see her on the podium badly!!! Go Mirai!!!!

Julia: Deserved winner. She did so much and dressed up like a Ninja Assassin. I can easily see her as the ladies Terminator, no emotions, just alot of kick ###### movements that made you go 'uh-oh'!

I hate the choreography, and have said her style and flexibility seems to have been widely abused by her choreographer who want to give her so much to do without thought or tact - just because she can do it. The thing is I do think Julia has musicality but weren't allowed any space to display them, which is bit of a shame, because these key basics need to be harnessed, developed and polished at a young age before the style is set. The team need to realise 'more is NOT more', and sometimes 'less is more'. The way they continue like this, will she last beyond age 18? She definitely need to calm down and be more introspective about her programs to refine these movements with purpose and meaning. For the moment she is a killer machine without much emotion or personality on ice.

For the moment, she is like the all you can eat buffet: extra salty, extra fatty, extra meaty, garlicky, complete with ketchup and processed cheese on top. You can't taste any of the organic vegetables because everything is all mingled up, unrefined and over powered. I swear there's a Filet Mignon there somewhere, just need to be cooked with care with less seasoning, otherwise everything is ruined. (OK it is lunch time in the UK... hence all the food comparisons heh! )

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
It's more likely she'll be going for the 3A, since the 2A is her first element. So probably a 3-3 isn't planned at all (I'm not sure if I like it that way though).

That's true. I wish that she would just work on a triple/triple. I wish she would just go the Yuna route and put a 3/3 in both her short and long.

Country
Russia
Yepp, I do. Still even google translate is capable of translating a "No, why?" two words sentence
She told in Russian "А зачем?". "And what for?" - does not give exact sense, but I don't know how to translate better.

In fact, the shortest sententces are most hard to translate.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Mao got < on the 3F. Had she rotated fully, she will be in the lead. I would have put Li in the 3rd. She was underscored, still a solid score for fresh senior out of junior rank. Sad to see Korppi continue to get pretty point. =(

Overall not a bad SP. Good to see only 3 points between 1st to 5th. Anything could happend. Gold will be a fight between Mao and Julia and the remaining three fighting for bronze. I just hope Korppi didn't get on podium with her usual 3 triples program over skater like Marai and Li who has more content.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Yeah. If she just focus on 3F+3T, which is well within her reach and better chances of landing and rotating than 3F+3Lo or 3A.
3F+3T, 3Lo, 2A is pretty competitive jumps content.