2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

L

lowtherlore

Kiira's robbed. Her PCS should have been first. I don't think Mao should beat her in any of the component score. She's like a lady skating with a bunch of girls.

I agree. Everyone else looked juniorish compared with Kiira. Her SP is just beautiful. I wish she could give us a clean skate out of it rest of the season.

quikrush

Rinkside
Thanks for the video links!!

Just a word on the younger skaters : I am very fond of Zijun as well, she is of course still quite juniorish but she has a certain grace on ice that makes her skating pleasant to watch. I'm also glad to note that being on home ice doesn't appear to wreck her nerves at all! And Julia is quite impressive, but as others have remarked she'll need to work on her axel and someone please get her a new costume. The second group is all bunched up in SP scores, FS is going to be fun!!

gioccia

On the Ice
I think Mao looked stupid with that program... She was SO good with Tarasova... she blew away the public...and THAT was definetely beneath her. Kira skated lovely! As well as Mirai

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Nice work from Mirai... jumps look steady and solid despite the 2foot. I don't like that show tunes type music on her though... and that costume reminds me of Tonya Harding circa 1994. Ew! But glad to see her out and about again and thank you for a glorious spiral!

Mao... I agree with lots of folks here. I thought the program was ridiculous--you can be cute and cheeky without a scrunchie or neon orange dress. Yuck on the SP but I'm happy she looks happy!

I wasn't impressed with Julia L. She had some pretty unique spin positions but besides that, I thought it was one too many catch foot moves.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Zijun's performance is so enjoyable, though I agree that her jumps seem powerless, and I prefer Kexin Zhang (7th at Worlds) over her among Chinese ladies.
Kexin's absence here is a huge disappointment for me, but on the bright side, I think the camera showed her in the audience, that means she has not quit skating.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
This is the first time I love Kirra's skating, so elegant and beautiful! Love Zijun Li's program. She will really be a force given some time, maybe very soon. I think Mao should go with more mature programs. This SP does not show off her strength, which are great lines and flow. She can still make this program work by tweaking it towards more mature side, rather than juniorish playful. Same to Nagasu's program.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That music Mao is skating too seems to be more for a Junior skater who's about 14-15 then a seasoned veteran skater like her. Didn't Mirai skate to I Got Rhythm back when she was 14? Mao needs more serious music for her SP.

samson

Medalist
I think Mirai even skated to that exact arrangement of I Got Rhythm. If I remember it was a huge scoring program for her. I Got Rhythm can totally be sophisticated. Even a little sexy, depending on how you package it. But Mao is definitely going for light, bright and youthful. Maybe this is a case of what the skater needs not being what people want from her right now, and those needs should be taking precedent. She seems to enjoy the program and that's hurdle #1 to me.

Victura

On the Ice
I liked Mao's program and definitely enjoyed the joyful and youthful quality she brought to it. I do think that she could get a better costume though...Gershwin is not juniorish or childish, but this dress makes it seem that way.

IleK

On the Ice
I agree. Everyone else looked juniorish compared with Kiira. Her SP is just beautiful. I wish she could give us a clean skate out of it rest of the season.

Agree with you two, not necesseraly that she was robbed, I try to stay out of the conspiracy theories, but she clearly is a lady between girls. I have nothing against the others but her program was the only one that really caught my attention. In a half an hour we will see the long. I wish them all the best, I want to see good programs from all the ladies and may Kiira hit the 3-3 combo because she really can do it and she does it really nice. And I really really hope she will make the podium.

L

lowtherlore

Looks are not a PCS mark. Mao and Mirai are quite terrific skaters, and they intended to convey a youthful energy in their programs. Their edges, stroking, and spins are not remotely juniorish.

Whatever skills they have as seasoned veterans, they failed to utilize them. Their programs looked lame and juniorish to me. Totally forgettable. JMO, of course. :)

jasminum

Rinkside
I liked Mao's program and definitely enjoyed the joyful and youthful quality she brought to it. I do think that she could get a better costume though...Gershwin is not juniorish or childish, but this dress makes it seem that way.

I agree. It looks like she had a dress for SP but she changed to the orange/silver one which she used for a show two years ago. There may be some reasons she couldn't use her original dress. I hope she will wear it at NHK.

chloepoco

Medalist
I agree. It looks like she had a dress for SP but she changed to the orange/silver one which she used for a show two years ago. There may be some reasons she couldn't use her original dress. I hope she will wear it at NHK.

I think I read somewhere that her new sp dress was not ready yet.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
It is not a mistranslation, it is Vaycehovskaya's (journalist) mistake. She badly retold Julia's words.
Finally. Someone else spoke wisdom. Perhaps when she writes that Ashley or Scott or Jeremy or Charlie or whoever was dumped by his/her poor parents and adopted by a rich couple, like she wrote about Dai two days ago, maybe then some people will finally understand how much trust her writing is "worthy". :biggrin:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Looks are not a PCS mark. Mao and Mirai are quite terrific skaters, and they intended to convey a youthful energy in their programs. Their edges, stroking, and spins are not remotely juniorish.

Looks are not a PCS mark. SS is.
You think for what they did, Kiira's SS is less than Mao's or Mirai's?
As for choreography, interpretation, performance, not even close.

You can't skate like a junior and get better CH, IN, and PE.

The Russian girls all want to be sexy grown-ups. Mao wants to be 12. It's ridiculous.

ForeverFish

Medalist
This. And I'd add it's not just that you have nothing nice to say, it is how you say it. Like kwanatic says, the girl is 14. To compare her to a leopard print thong is, in my opinion, very inappropriate. I respect your views on the skaters, flattfan, and thing that, as opinions, they are as valid as mine. However, I try hard to think about how I say what I say. I feel sometimes like you go for shock value in your posts. Everything you say as a sentiment is acceptable but how you say it I think rubs many people, me included, the wrong way.

Normally I would try to avoid sounding like a prude, but FlattFan's comment was very, very inappropriate. Julia is fourteen...fourteen...and she still looks like a little girl. I hope you never make that comparison in public for fear of it being seriously, seriously misconstrued.