Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Lots of solid skating...

Julia: Nerves of steel...maybe she really is a robot? I'm kidding...Her jumps and spins were very good but she has the worst program of the top 5 here. I really really want to see her work with a great choreographer (and costume designer!) who can put her amazing talents to good use. Right now her programs feel like she's the headliner for Contortionists on Ice or something...she needs more substance.

Mao: It does feel like Lori recycled Mirai's 2008 SP. That said, I enjoy seeing bubbly happy Mao. Though the program has a happy light slightly juniorish feel, she presented it with maturity and polish. The footwork was great! She needs to work on a few of her spins...seemed a bit slow in places. Overall though, very happy for her.

Mirai: That was the best she's looked in years! There was so much speed going into the 3T-3T and even though it was UR I'm glad she attempted it and stood up on it. I'd like to see her switch her flying camel back to a flying sit spin; she gets way more speed and I think she'd get more points too. Everything was excellent. Again, another happy bubbly feeling program presented with maturity and polish. My fingers are crossed for her in the FS.

Kiira: Gorgeous girl but I just don't get how she gets the scores she gets with mistakes like that. I'd have had her 5th.

Zijun: So proud of Zijun! She's been my favorite junior for the past two seasons. She didn't seem as light and free as she usually is; maybe it was first-time/home crowd nerves, but at least she hit all of her jumps. I hope she does well too.

Good job for Amelie and I think Joshi's program is rather interesting...

Ideally, I'd like to see Mao win here, with Mirai in 2nd and Zijun in 3rd. In reality, this will come down to Julia and Mao. If Mao skates her FS like JO (minus the mistakes) there's no way she shouldn't win, even if Julia goes clean. I'd love to see Mirai skate her heart out and make the podium as well. It's a close race so there is little to no room for error for anyone...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ayayukiituka View Post
    Somehow,I'd like to post some part of latest Mao's interview.
    1,She had thought to retire after WC last season. Following Mr.Sato's advice,she took two-week off until she wanted to skate again.
    2,As for her SP,Lori gave her a program that brings her a joy.
    3,Don't plan on 3A at the beginning of the season,maybe later season.
    4,She's eager to do 3F-3T.

After SP interview,she said she's happy to do well as she's not good at SP and beginning of a season.
    Thanks! I approve of Mao's strategy for this season. I'm happy she wants to include 3F-3T in her programs - she had good success with it back in 07-08. The judges are quite downgrade-happy when it comes to the combos ending with loop so it seems a good strategy to work on 3F-3T again now that her reworked 3F is getting solid.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I said it last year, and it's still true. Julia is gross. Pulling her leg up 3-4 times in a minute? Tricks for treat? Someone throw her a bone, please. It's sad to watch. This girl is as classy in interview as a leopard print thong.
    Already her landing from the jumps are a bit wonky and pitch forward. As soon as she fills out, I guess the jumps will be gone soon.

Mao is skating to that? Maybe rework the 2006-07 SP for today's standard. Another lost cause. Although she's about 10x better than the Cirque du Soleil wannabe.

Mirai is slow and boring now. She's done.

Kiira is still pretty, which helps.
    Geez FlattFan. With Rachael gone/retired I suppose you're just going in on everyone? Bitter much?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Julia now is best skater of the world.

But they were or may be - Julia is.

No one's denying Julia's talent, but this is the most overblown statement I've seen in a while considering she hasn't even won anything yet...

Let's wait until she has a world championship and/or an Olympic medal before we crown her Queen of the Figure Skating World...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Then what a sad state we are in for ladies figure skating.
    Yes.
    Technical level for past two seasons was very low in Lady skating.
    World Champions without 3+3 or all five triples (no words about 3Lz+3T, or 3 triples in SP and 7 triples in FS).

I hope that Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Gold and other young skater will make it better.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Don't get the debate here. Mao beat Julia in PCS by 3.35 points. Julia won on the strength of her tech content, which for this competition, has been solid and more difficult relative to Mao's (3Z-3T, 3F, 2A vs 3F-2L, 3L, 2A for Mao). Julia has received much better PCS scores as a junior, due to her dominance there, but the PCS here seem much more tepid.

I say this as someone that also does not care for the bendy-leg choreography she currently has.
    I love Julia's extensions, but she dosen't have the grace Sasha had at Julia's age. Her technique on the axel especially reminds me of Tara, so unless that is fixed, i don't see her being able to land these jumps after she grows.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Geez FlattFan. With Rachael gone/retired I suppose you're just going in on everyone? Bitter much?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I love Julia's extensions, but she dosen't have the grace Sasha had at Julia's age. Her technique on the axel especially reminds me of Tara, so unless that is fixed, i don't see her being able to land these jumps after she grows.
    Probably should clarify again that I don't have a problem with the relatively lower PCS scores. Side by side Sasha definitely had better choreography, performance, well everything, at 14.

Custom Title
    Another solid/intriguing sp competition from the ladies! I think the ladies are starting to wake up finally!

Julia was fine. I don't challenge the first place position but that routine is so distracting. More is NOT more. Mao looked good too, I would have had Mirai in second but then again I can't help but be a Mirai fan! I think she looked GREAT out there. Her speed and attack is back. I loved the way she looked right at the judges on the landing of the loop, and again, really happy to see her throwing the difficult combos this early on in the season. She's definitely on the attack. I think her PCS were low, especially on Performance Execution. Glad to see she's getting the level of her step sequence up. It was really nice, and integrated well into the choreo!

Mao looked pretty good too. That step sequence was wonderful. Such a trademark quality of hers. I really appreciate that she takes time to execute it, it really is apart of the choreography. She just has a way of melding all the elements together to make a whole.

Custom Title
    No one's denying Julia's talent, but this is the most overblown statement I've seen in a while considering she hasn't even won anything yet...
    You didn't understand me.
    Yuna does not compete now, Carolina also. They may be better at Worlds-2013, but now they don't compete. Or Mao may become better, but in future.
    I meant only right now.
    Who is now? Mao URs jumps. Ashley? Her level is about the same as Mao's. Adelina? Liza? They may be better in future (may be near future) if-when they solve their problems.

Let's wait until she has a world championship and/or an Olympic medal before we crown her Queen of the Figure Skating World...
    It is a different question. I did not tell that Julia is best skater of Season 2012/13 or of Olympics-2014.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post

Mao looked pretty good too. That step sequence was wonderful. Such a trademark quality of hers. I really appreciate that she takes time to execute it, it really is apart of the choreography. She just has a way of melding all the elements together to make a whole.

^I like that comment about Mao

Can someone explain the technique of Julia on 2axel? I know the jump doesnt look good from a viewer 's point (me) but I m not such expert to know why it looks this way..she does it like Salcow somehow

Custom Title
    Julia: Nerves of steel...maybe she really is a robot? I'm kidding...Her jumps and spins were very good but she has the worst program of the top 5 here.
    Leonova, Makarova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva are favourites for years (I mean - favourites of Federation, all the best for them).
    Julia is Cinderella. She has that her coach and her talent may give her. It's told that Morozov was horeographer of her past season program, but how much time did he spend with her? Not so much, of course. A bit more than "symbolic participation".
    So what do you want?

I really really want to see her work with a great choreographer (and costume designer!) who can put her amazing talents to good use. Right now her programs feel like she's the headliner for Contortionists on Ice or something...she needs more substance.
    Me too.

Mao: It does feel like Lori recycled Mirai's 2008 SP. That said, I enjoy seeing bubbly happy Mao. (...)

Mirai: That was the best she's looked in years! (...)

Kiira: Gorgeous girl but I just don't get how she gets the scores she gets with mistakes like that. I'd have had her 5th.

Zijun: So proud of Zijun! She's been my favorite junior for the past two seasons. She didn't seem as light and free as she usually is; maybe it was first-time/home crowd nerves, but at least she hit all of her jumps. I hope she does well too.

Good job for Amelie and I think Joshi's program is rather interesting...
    Yes.
    Last edited by AlexRus; 11-02-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post

^I like that comment about Mao

Can someone explain the technique of Julia on 2axel? I know the jump doesnt look good from a viewer 's point (me) but I m not such expert to know why it looks this way..she does it like Salcow somehow
    its strikingly similar to Tara Lipinski's 2A
    almost parallel in execution that gets little height from the air

Custom Title
    When you criticize anything, you're accused of being bitter. Bitter about what?
    I tell you, most of these girls are sad. I don't envy them, don't feel bitter about any of them. I wouldn't trade place with any of them. If you think someone is bitter about some 14yo, you're really projecting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Can someone explain the technique of Julia on 2axel? I know the jump doesnt look good from a viewer 's point (me)
    All Tutberidze's girls have not so good 2A, including Julia. It is her most problem jump, her triples are really better.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast