Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Rachael is slow and boring, and can't jump anymore. Her exciting days are in the past. She's done. I'm also done with her. As for these wannabes, even when Rachael was competing, I never had different opinions about them (except Mao). So, thanks for the diagnosis, Freude.
    Rachel's skating days are behind her, however, she attends Stanford. Most people who attend Stanford feel themselves to be highly successful, as well they should. I, for one, am thrilled to see more skaters for whom getting an education is a priority. (and i don't mean an 'online' education so that they might skate all day). As far as skating, she had her time at top of the heap, and that is more than most skaters can lay claim to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I actually thought Mirai was wonderful as was Lacoste from Canada.
    I also liked Mirai's program a lot. And Mao's, too, though it's a different type of program for her. Julia, not so much. I am not interested in a pre-pubescent, junior skater, no matter how bendy she is or whether she can do a triple-triple. Her double axel, by the way, is the tiniest since Tara Lipinski's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    Rachel's skating days are behind her, however, she attends Stanford. Most people who attend Stanford feel themselves to be highly successful, as well they should. I, for one, am thrilled to see more skaters for whom getting an education is a priority. (and i don't mean an 'online' education so that they might skate all day). As far as skating, she had her time at top of the heap, and that is more than most skaters can lay claim to.
    I'm speaking of her competitive career. She's fine, fans or no fans.
    The other girls, OTOH, are kinda sad (but not Kiira, girl that pretty isn't allowed to be sad). So I don't get why people would think anyone who ever speak ill of them are jealous.

Custom Title
    Kiira's robbed. Her PCS should have been first. I don't think Mao should beat her in any of the component score. She's like a lady skating with a bunch of girls.

I thought that Mirai looked gorgeous. The costume and makeup were first rate.
    It was nice to see her skate with spunk and confidence again.

lowtherlore
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Kiira's robbed. Her PCS should have been first. I don't think Mao should beat her in any of the component score. She's like a lady skating with a bunch of girls.
    I agree. Everyone else looked juniorish compared with Kiira. Her SP is just beautiful. I wish she could give us a clean skate out of it rest of the season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Everyone else looked juniorish compared with Kiira.
    Looks are not a PCS mark. Mao and Mirai are quite terrific skaters, and they intended to convey a youthful energy in their programs. Their edges, stroking, and spins are not remotely juniorish.

Tripping on the Podium
    Thanks for the video links!!

Just a word on the younger skaters : I am very fond of Zijun as well, she is of course still quite juniorish but she has a certain grace on ice that makes her skating pleasant to watch. I'm also glad to note that being on home ice doesn't appear to wreck her nerves at all! And Julia is quite impressive, but as others have remarked she'll need to work on her axel and someone please get her a new costume. The second group is all bunched up in SP scores, FS is going to be fun!!

Custom Title
    I think Mao looked stupid with that program... She was SO good with Tarasova... she blew away the public...and THAT was definetely beneath her. Kira skated lovely! As well as Mirai

Medalist
    Nice work from Mirai... jumps look steady and solid despite the 2foot. I don't like that show tunes type music on her though... and that costume reminds me of Tonya Harding circa 1994. Ew! But glad to see her out and about again and thank you for a glorious spiral!

Mao... I agree with lots of folks here. I thought the program was ridiculous--you can be cute and cheeky without a scrunchie or neon orange dress. Yuck on the SP but I'm happy she looks happy!

I wasn't impressed with Julia L. She had some pretty unique spin positions but besides that, I thought it was one too many catch foot moves.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by uncchristine99 View Post
    I wasn't impressed with Julia L. She had some pretty unique spin positions but besides that, I thought it was one too many catch foot moves.
    And too much arm-flailing.

Custom Title
    Zijun's performance is so enjoyable, though I agree that her jumps seem powerless, and I prefer Kexin Zhang (7th at Worlds) over her among Chinese ladies.
    Kexin's absence here is a huge disappointment for me, but on the bright side, I think the camera showed her in the audience, that means she has not quit skating.

Custom Title
    This is the first time I love Kirra's skating, so elegant and beautiful! Love Zijun Li's program. She will really be a force given some time, maybe very soon. I think Mao should go with more mature programs. This SP does not show off her strength, which are great lines and flow. She can still make this program work by tweaking it towards more mature side, rather than juniorish playful. Same to Nagasu's program.

Custom Title
    That music Mao is skating too seems to be more for a Junior skater who's about 14-15 then a seasoned veteran skater like her. Didn't Mirai skate to I Got Rhythm back when she was 14? Mao needs more serious music for her SP.

Custom Title
    I think Mirai even skated to that exact arrangement of I Got Rhythm. If I remember it was a huge scoring program for her. I Got Rhythm can totally be sophisticated. Even a little sexy, depending on how you package it. But Mao is definitely going for light, bright and youthful. Maybe this is a case of what the skater needs not being what people want from her right now, and those needs should be taking precedent. She seems to enjoy the program and that's hurdle #1 to me.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast