Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Nice to see Mao doing something so joyful, even if at times the program seems a bit juniorish for her. I wish she'd have scored a bit higher... but hopefully she'll do well tomorrow.

I'd forgotten how adorable the CoC flower girls always are. The cuteness is off the charts.
    I actually liked it, reminds me of the 2006 Mao with her pony tail and bubbly
    though she looks 16 or 17 here

Custom Title
    RE: Korpi: She has lost the flip and lutz, struggles for level 4 on spins. Her chance has passed, she missed the opportunities at worlds, particularly in 2009 & 2011.

I really enjoy her programs and style but we will never ever see her skate back to back clean programs unless she waters her FP and excludes the flip and lutz.

Remember the huge technical she managed at worlds 2006 qualifying? 3toe/3toe, lutz, flip, two 3 loops, 3 salchow step 2 axel, 2 axel..... That kind of content would have had her on the world podium of late, but it is beyond her now. Shame.

I do feel like it's time for her to go pro and earn bags of cash. She would play any Disney lead to perfection.

Of course, I would love to be wrong and see her medal at worlds. :P

RE: Mao
    I always feel like perky programs are going to straddle the fence of being junior. Whilst I didn't feel like this was junior, I did feel it was somewhat beneath her.
    You can do free, loose and breezy without being cliché (Makarova's sp last year, Tanja Szewchenko's Forest Gump, Butyrskay's 2000 sp). "I've got rhythm" complete with ponytail flicking, shoulder bouncing and elbow bopping has been done to death. The step sequence is such high quality that she gets away with it IMO. I'm more concerned that she still can't rotate the flip never mind add a 3 toe on the end.

There's no point in getting excited about Lipnitskaia at this point. See Sydney Voguel, Zhang, even Nagasu for details why. If she gets to 18 and can still manage her jumps, I'll definitely be interested. However, she might scam a 2 year career a la Lipinski, Hughes and Meissner before that, if puberty is very kind.
    Last edited by jamie; 11-02-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Custom Title
    Just saw that Julia got an edge call on her 3Flip! I remember she had problems with her 3Lz. I wonder if she'll get it in the LP also

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    I always feel like perky programs are going to straddle the fence of being junior. Whilst I didn't feel like this was junior, I did feel it was somewhat beneath her.
    You can do free, loose and breezy without being cliché (Makarova's sp last year, Tanja Szewchenko's Forest Gump, Butyrskay's 2000 sp). "I've got rhythm" complete with ponytail flicking, shoulder bouncing and elbow bopping has been done to death. The step sequence is such high quality that she gets away with it IMO. I'm more concerned that she still can't rotate the flip never mind add a 3 toe on the end.
    I thought Akiko's SP last year was high energy without seeming juniorish. But then Akiko is awesome and generally has great programs (and costumes!). There are also some programs in other disciplines that would seem perky if attempted by a lady - e.g. Verner's jazzy stuff and Zorba the Greek, S/S doing Korobushka; I never thought they looked juniorish. The specific choreo here just wasn't as good as it could have been, and some of it is details that can be fixed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Just saw that Julia got an edge call on her 3Flip! I remember she had problems with her 3Lz. I wonder if she'll get it in the LP also
    I think it was her Flip, she doubled her flip in FS at Finlandia
    Julia hasn't gotten edge calls on her Lutz even on her 3lz-3t combo

Custom Title
    ^Agree on all accounts, Buttercup
    Last edited by jamie; 11-02-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ortemis View Post
    she has been spoiled by the russian judges. yeah, it is indeed understandable
    At JGP Events and Final and Junior Worlds? See her scores there.

She landed 3T+3T past season in SP, now 3Lz+3T. So score should grow.

She progresses at season.
    Her scores past season:
    JGP Event 172.51
    JGP Event 183.05
    JGP Final 179.73
    Junior Worlds 187.05

Her places did not progress - all 1st.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I think it was her Flip, she doubled her flip in FS at Finlandia
    Julia hasn't gotten edge calls on her Lutz even on her 3lz-3t combo
    She got an edge call on her 3Lz last season, In JGP Poland and the JGPF, though not consistently. I don't remember her to receive an edge call on the 3Flip, this is a first. That's why I was surprised.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    She got an edge call on her 3Lz last season, In JGP Poland and the JGPF, though not consistently. I don't remember her to receive an edge call on the 3Flip, this is a first. That's why I was surprised.
    Im talking about this season, her edge call is on her flip now not on her lutz

Custom Title
    LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 63.06 Short Program
    2. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.89 Short Program
    3. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 59.76 Short Program
    4. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 59.69 Short Program
    5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 59.21
    6. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 57.43 Short Program
    7. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 49.67 Short Program
    8. Sofia BIRYUKOVA (RUS) - 44.39 Short Program
    9. Ying ZHANG (CHN) - 43.38
    10. Bingwa GENG (CHN) - 36.53
    Last edited by Mao88; 11-02-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ortemis View Post
    damn you, mao !
    Why? Her PCS is highest and she deserves it, very nice skating. Very good StSq.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the links. I've heard of Julia L, but am not that familiar with her. I may have seen her once or twice in juniors. Julia had a clean skate here, but to me she seemed more like a contortionist going through the motions. I didn't like what she was wearing and I don't think she expressed the music well.

A nice sp from Mao. Perhaps she will be able to express this style better as the season progresses. I really enjoy Mao's new fp this season. Can't wait to see Mirai's programs. I thought Mirai presented very well at Finlandia Trophy and skated better than Kira Korpi did at Finlandia in the fp, but Kira was on home turf there.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus
    At JGP Events and Final and Junior Worlds? See her scores there.

She landed 3T+3T past season in SP, now 3Lz+3T. So score should grow.
    I'd be worried if those simple mathematics would work so easily.
    Julia is in her first 'real' senior competition - the way of scoring just isn't the same, and rightfully so. I don't remember her scores completly, I mean TES and PCS, but I'm not suprised she isn't getting the same scores she did before... if you compare her to juniors she just looks a little different than compared to seniors. Here, Mao, Kiira and Mirai are beating her in SS, have better choreography, more transitions, better presentation, more maturity, better interpretation, better lines, higher jumps with more ice coverage... maybe she's just scored by a different standerd (and looking at her age that's fine). 63 is great, especially for a senior debut! I think she should/could be really proud with herself and that score, instead of being not pleased. I don't see any point in those protocols where I'd say she should have gotten more points...
    That said, I like her more than last year. Given better choreo, I think I might start to enjoy her.

And I'm happy with Maos new SP. It's exactly what Mirunna said... some people are always going to complain. I like how her SP and FS are not the same style of skating, and I think that SP is kinda cute. Don't think I agree about the junorish part, it's upbeat, but the skating quality is there... I'd even say Mao has a little more speed and power compared to her performances last year. She looked somehow securer to me again out there, and I'm really happy about that. That step sequence was

Zijun is definitly a lovely newcomer too, I really enjoy watching her skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Julia had a clean skate here, but to me she seemed more like a contortionist going through the motions. I didn't like what she was wearing and I don't think she expressed the music well.
    Agreed. She skates like a junior. Choreographic transitions between moves were not smooth.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast