2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Mao got < on the 3F. Had she rotated fully, she will be in the lead. I would have put Li in the 3rd. She was underscored, still a solid score for fresh senior out of junior rank. Sad to see Korppi continue to get pretty point. =(

Overall not a bad SP. Good to see only 3 points between 1st to 5th. Anything could happend. Gold will be a fight between Mao and Julia and the remaining three fighting for bronze. I just hope Korppi didn't get on podium with her usual 3 triples program over skater like Marai and Li who has more content.

well Kiira usually implodes in FS unless she will get generous scores like in Finlandia
Mirai or Zijun have a better chance of podium than Kiira

Country
Russia
Mao got < on the 3F. Had she rotated fully, she will be in the lead.
Yes, in SP. But in FS and total score it would hardly be so. She now too often URs her jumps.

If Mao will become some-years-ago Mao (when she won the Worlds) - she will be better than Julia.

Julia is better than Mao - that Mao whom we see now.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
wonderlen3000 said:
Yeah. If she just focus on 3F+3T, which is well within her reach and better chances of landing and rotating than 3F+3Lo or 3A.
3F+3T, 3Lo, 2A is pretty competitive jumps content.

That layout would be great, but Mao never had it with the 3-3T combos, although she was capable of 3F-3T before. She just seems to feel more comfortable with 3F-3Lo. If anything, I'd expect her to go back to that.
I'm not saying she should let go of the 3A... it's a risk worth taking I guess, with it's huge base value. Even underrotated she's not losing much points compared to a 2A, if at all. It's just the question if she can manage to keep the rest of her performance on the same level with a (failed) 3A.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 63.06 Short Program
2. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.89 Short Program
3. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 59.76 Short Program
4. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 59.69 Short Program
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 59.21 Short Program
6. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 57.43 Short Program
7. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 49.67 Short Program
8. Sofia BIRYUKOVA (RUS) - 44.39 Short Program
9. Ying ZHANG (CHN) - 43.38 Short Program
10. Bingwa GENG (CHN) - 36.53 Short Program

Thanks to Jackie Wong for providing the links to the videos provided by the YouTube user known as "Danny Loo"

mary01

Final Flight
Yes, in SP. But in FS and total score it would hardly be so. She now too often URs her jumps.

If Mao will become some-years-ago Mao (when she won the Worlds) - she will be better than Julia.

Julia is better than Mao - that Mao whom we see now.

NO way in hell, there is nothing about yulia that's better then Mao, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and her crazy flexibility doesn't make her performance much better either. Yulia can count herself lucky to even be able to rotate her jumps at all with her height!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 63.06 Short Program
2. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.89 Short Program
3. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 59.76 Short Program
4. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 59.69 Short Program
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 59.21 Short Program
6. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 57.43 Short Program
7. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 49.67 Short Program
8. Sofia BIRYUKOVA (RUS) - 44.39 Short Program
9. Ying ZHANG (CHN) - 43.38 Short Program
10. Bingwa GENG (CHN) - 36.53 Short Program

Thanks to Jackie Wong for providing the links to the videos provided by the YouTube user known as "Danny Loo"

:thumbsup:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
NO way in hell, there is nothing about yulia that's better then Mao, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and her crazy flexibility doesn't make her performance much better either. Yulia can count herself lucky to even be able to rotate her jumps at all with her height!

you seem to be bitter with Julia

Julia has something that is called consistency while I agree she is not even close to Mao's S/S, Artistry and projection on the ice
Julia did well for her first GP, Its not justt good skating that makes winners its consistency that is the key !

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
mary01 said:

mary01, I'm a Mao fan just as you are, but this is really not true and unfair towards Julia... it's just disrespectful, and as a fellow Mao-Fan, I don't like reading it.
Julia has harder techincal content and is more consistent than Mao is - although I don't agree she's an overall better skater, but that discussion is probably going to be pretty exhausting.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Calm down! Mao has mature performance.

berrycute

On the Ice
Well I'm not a massive fan of Mao's SP, why does she bother with Lori Nichol? This is pretty much the same program as Mirai's back in 2007-2008 (when it was way more age appropriate). Lori recycles too much, every now and again she comes up with something interesting like Kostner's programs last year but she phones it in a lot of the time.

BUT i would have to say that Mao performs better than Julia, who is in desperate need of a TAT makeover (I like her, but no to that outfit, and no to that music). I'm sure Julia will do well here and make the GPF (the junior world champ always seems to), but I do hope Mao gets the top spot.

Irishflip

On the Ice
I was expecting so much more from Li Zijun, I love her and think she could be on the world podium at some point of her career, but the short program choreography wise was boring. There was next to nothing going on in between the technical elements and it was highlighted by how demanding the music is. Her short last year was much better and I feel if it was done as well as that one she could well have had the most enjoyable program of the day.

mary01

Final Flight
mary01, I'm a Mao fan just as you are, but this is really not true and unfair towards Julia... it's just disrespectful, and as a fellow Mao-Fan, I don't like reading it.
Julia has harder techincal content and is more consistent than Mao is - although I don't agree she's an overall better skater, but that discussion is probably going to be pretty exhausting.

I doubt her consistency will persist with her jumps, unless she makes some serious changes fast very fast! and i stand by everything thing i said about her skating! it was my honest opinion....

seniorita

Record Breaker
Mao is a class on her own when we speak about flow and charisma. I just couldnt take my eyes off her. I would have her first!
Mirai's program reminded me of the old joyful self, who choreographed her program? And I ve been watching Li since her first junior years, I m glad she is doing so well!
Congrats to Julia on her first senior competition!:clap:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I doubt her consistency will persist with her jumps, unless she makes some serious changes fast very fast! and i stand by everything thing i said about her skating! it was my honest opinion....

We will have to see but we are mostly talking about this competition and what we know now. Julia has not taken a fall in a competition, IIRC, since before Russian nationals 2010. In all that time I can only recall her once doubling a planned triple, and once making a minor error on a footwork sequence. I like Julia and her skating for many reasons but one big one is I am not ever worrying about if she will fall.

She is of course not in the same league as Mao when it comes to SS. This is for many reasons but a big one is is simply experience. Her team could also help her have better choreography.

As regards her jumps persisting, she has very good technique on everything but the axel, she is a fighter who I have no doubt will not give up even if the jumps become a struggle for her, and she is mentally very tough. Maybe that is partly a result of her age (some have commented it is easy to be fearless at 14) but I know plenty of 14 year olds who are a mess and think at least she has a solid psychological foundation to build on.

I hope that your tone is not coming across as you intend.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I said it last year, and it's still true. Julia is gross. Pulling her leg up 3-4 times in a minute? It's sad to watch.
Already her landing from the jumps are a bit wonky and pitch forward. As soon as she fills out, I guess the jumps will be gone soon.

Mao is skating to that? Maybe rework the 2006-07 SP for today's standard. Another lost cause. Although she's about 10x better than the Cirque du Soleil wannabe.

Mirai is slow and boring now. She's done.

Kiira is still pretty, which helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Don't get the debate here. Mao beat Julia in PCS by 3.35 points. Julia won on the strength of her tech content, which for this competition, has been solid and more difficult relative to Mao's (3Z-3T, 3F, 2A vs 3F-2L, 3L, 2A for Mao). Julia has received much better PCS scores as a junior, due to her dominance there, but the PCS here seem much more tepid.

I say this as someone that also does not care for the bendy-leg choreography she currently has.

inskate

On the Ice
Well I'm not a massive fan of Mao's SP, why does she bother with Lori Nichol?

I like Lori's programs for Mao. Jupiter was a masterpiece, and Liebenstraum could be if she ever performed it at 100% (she came close a few times).

I Got Rhythm has a youthful feel, but that was intended, I think... Lori said in an interview that she made this program for Mao because she wanted to cheer her up - Mao was depressed after losing her mother. According to this interview, Mao even considered retiring and took a break from skating after Worlds. She eventually found her motivation again - as she said, she "reset" her feelings. ;)

I think Mao's SP is still a work in progress - there were certain things she did in practice but omitted in the competition (an illusion spin as a part of CCoSP, a donut as a part of FCSp, a few nuances in choreo). Plus her costume wasn't ready in time, so she reused her old costume she used back in early 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_yFiSEWnk). She grew taller since then, so the dress ended up looking a bit short/juniorish. ;)

Country
Russia
(Unofficial from forum.fsonline.ru , translation from Russian)
Press-conference

Lipnitskaya is very happy with her skating, and didn't expect to be on the first place.

Nagasu is very glad that didn't fall this time from the combo but only held up the second foot; enjoyed skating and hopes for successful skating of FS.

Mao came upset. Mao was slightly nervous since is a debut of her FS. As a whole she is happy with skating. Mao was asked how her present arrival on the Chinese cup, after a seven-year break differs. And how she organized herself still to skate being twice a World Champion. (Questions were on English, not all was understood by Mao - Mirai translated to her). In China Mao had the First Grand Prix as now at Julia - being 15 years old, first time. 7 years later after ups and downs she is very glad to skate again here. Now many young figure skaters skate on the Grand Prix, Mao tries to show the best skating.

Nagasu was asked about her debut on the Grand Prix was on cup of china, and whether China is pleasant to her. She is here 4th time, got used to a skating rink, adores local food - names listed, and will be disappointed not to get on COC the next year..

Asked something on Chinese under a strange sigh of a hall, translated for Lipnitskaya - we know that you are Champion of Juniors Worlds last year, we know nothing more - be presented please. She told shortly the bio - the beginning at 4 years old, skated in Yekaterinburg, then in Moscow. Likes to do manicure, to paint and go by horses.

Mao knows about a political conflict of Japan and China, but she has no problems in China (we did not hear a question)
They praised Mao's wonderful program and are interested is she going to modernize it. Mao considers that there is nothing to improve - in the future will probably strengthen a jumping part according to the plan of practice.

Last edited: