2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Short Program

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Mrs.P said:
Julia has received much better PCS scores as a junior, due to her dominance there, but the PCS here seem much more tepid.

Just out of interest - and not related to Mao - do you disagree? I think it's quite alright.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just out of interest - and not related to Mao - do you disagree? I think it's quite alright.

I also agree! Her scores are correct given her choreography, performance and packaging relative to her current competitors.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I also agree! Her scores are correct given her choreography, performance and packaging relative to her current competitors.

Just chiming in as the token Julia fan to say I think everyone agrees (or at least I certainly do). I think Mirai's PCS should have been slightly higher but thought everyone else's were spot on here so far.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Where? When?
In her ISU bio http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_pb_00013146.htm
Best SP Component 06.10.2011 ISU JGP Trofeo W. Lombardi 2011 27.77
Now 27.71.
At Junior Words 26.66.

Practically the same values.

Perhaps overall, but let's look at skating skills from her JGP (ordered by highest to lowest):

7.50 7.50 7.25 7.25 7.00 6.75 6.50 6.25 6.25

vs at Cup of China:

7.50 7.25 7.00 7.00 7.00 6.75 6.75 6.25 6.25

The outlier on the high end at her JGP was a lot higher than the ones at this competition. And her PCS scores for the top four scoring judges from her PCS is .25 higher at JGP than at this competition.

.25 is not a small difference, when you consider that the difference some skaters see between the GP and 4CC/Worlds. (Ashley Wagner's PCS increased by that much between NHK and Worlds last year).

Yes the highest of those scores are thrown out, but still can influence the overall score.

So maybe much higher wasn't the right phrase, but I think it's clear that her PCS scores, rightfully so, are a good margin lower.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Somehow,I'd like to post some part of latest Mao's interview.
1,She had thought to retire after WC last season. Following Mr.Sato's advice,she took two-week off until she wanted to skate again.
2,As for her SP,Lori gave her a program that brings her a joy.
3,Don't plan on 3A at the beginning of the season,maybe later season.
4,She's eager to do 3F-3T.

After SP interview,she said she's happy to do well as she's not good at SP and beginning of a season.

Country
Russia
About Julia Lipnitskaia - my opinion

Julia is kind and clever girl (I know her well enough), but she is only 14 years old, so please don't look for the bad things in her words, that bad things in fact don't exist there.

Julia now is best skater of the world.
Yuna was better, Mao was better, Miki was better, Carolina may be better when she will return to compete.
But they were or may be - Julia is.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Julia is kind and clever girl (I know her well enough), but she is only 14 years old, so please don't look for the bad things in her words, that bad things in fact don't exist there.

Yuna was better, Mao was better, Miki was better, Carolina may be better when she will return to compete.
But they was or may be - Julia is.

Then what a sad state we are in for ladies figure skating.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Lots of solid skating...

Julia: Nerves of steel...maybe she really is a robot? :) I'm kidding...Her jumps and spins were very good but she has the worst program of the top 5 here. I really really want to see her work with a great choreographer (and costume designer!) who can put her amazing talents to good use. Right now her programs feel like she's the headliner for Contortionists on Ice or something...she needs more substance.

Mao: It does feel like Lori recycled Mirai's 2008 SP. That said, I enjoy seeing bubbly happy Mao. Though the program has a happy light slightly juniorish feel, she presented it with maturity and polish. The footwork was great! She needs to work on a few of her spins...seemed a bit slow in places. Overall though, very happy for her.

Mirai: That was the best she's looked in years! There was so much speed going into the 3T-3T and even though it was UR I'm glad she attempted it and stood up on it. I'd like to see her switch her flying camel back to a flying sit spin; she gets way more speed and I think she'd get more points too. Everything was excellent. Again, another happy bubbly feeling program presented with maturity and polish. My fingers are crossed for her in the FS.

Kiira: Gorgeous girl but I just don't get how she gets the scores she gets with mistakes like that. I'd have had her 5th.

Zijun: So proud of Zijun! She's been my favorite junior for the past two seasons. She didn't seem as light and free as she usually is; maybe it was first-time/home crowd nerves, but at least she hit all of her jumps. I hope she does well too.

Good job for Amelie and I think Joshi's program is rather interesting...

Ideally, I'd like to see Mao win here, with Mirai in 2nd and Zijun in 3rd. In reality, this will come down to Julia and Mao. If Mao skates her FS like JO (minus the mistakes) there's no way she shouldn't win, even if Julia goes clean. I'd love to see Mirai skate her heart out and make the podium as well. It's a close race so there is little to no room for error for anyone...

inskate

On the Ice
Somehow,I'd like to post some part of latest Mao's interview.
1,She had thought to retire after WC last season. Following Mr.Sato's advice,she took two-week off until she wanted to skate again.
2,As for her SP,Lori gave her a program that brings her a joy.
3,Don't plan on 3A at the beginning of the season,maybe later season.
4,She's eager to do 3F-3T.

After SP interview,she said she's happy to do well as she's not good at SP and beginning of a season.

Thanks! I approve of Mao's strategy for this season. I'm happy she wants to include 3F-3T in her programs - she had good success with it back in 07-08. The judges are quite downgrade-happy when it comes to the combos ending with loop so it seems a good strategy to work on 3F-3T again now that her reworked 3F is getting solid.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I said it last year, and it's still true. Julia is gross. Pulling her leg up 3-4 times in a minute? Tricks for treat? Someone throw her a bone, please. It's sad to watch. This girl is as classy in interview as a leopard print thong.
Already her landing from the jumps are a bit wonky and pitch forward. As soon as she fills out, I guess the jumps will be gone soon.

Mao is skating to that? Maybe rework the 2006-07 SP for today's standard. Another lost cause. Although she's about 10x better than the Cirque du Soleil wannabe.

Mirai is slow and boring now. She's done.

Kiira is still pretty, which helps.

Geez FlattFan. With Rachael gone/retired I suppose you're just going in on everyone? Bitter much?

kwanatic

Record Breaker

But they were or may be - Julia is.

No one's denying Julia's talent, but this is the most overblown statement I've seen in a while considering she hasn't even won anything yet...

Let's wait until she has a world championship and/or an Olympic medal before we crown her Queen of the Figure Skating World...

Country
Russia
Then what a sad state we are in for ladies figure skating.
Yes.
Technical level for past two seasons was very low in Lady skating.
World Champions without 3+3 or all five triples (no words about 3Lz+3T, or 3 triples in SP and 7 triples in FS).

I hope that Sotnikova, Lipnitskaya, Gold and other young skater will make it better.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Don't get the debate here. Mao beat Julia in PCS by 3.35 points. Julia won on the strength of her tech content, which for this competition, has been solid and more difficult relative to Mao's (3Z-3T, 3F, 2A vs 3F-2L, 3L, 2A for Mao). Julia has received much better PCS scores as a junior, due to her dominance there, but the PCS here seem much more tepid.

I say this as someone that also does not care for the bendy-leg choreography she currently has.

I love Julia's extensions, but she dosen't have the grace Sasha had at Julia's age. Her technique on the axel especially reminds me of Tara, so unless that is fixed, i don't see her being able to land these jumps after she grows.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love Julia's extensions, but she dosen't have the grace Sasha had at Julia's age. Her technique on the axel especially reminds me of Tara, so unless that is fixed, i don't see her being able to land these jumps after she grows.

Probably should clarify again that I don't have a problem with the relatively lower PCS scores. Side by side Sasha definitely had better choreography, performance, well everything, at 14. :)

samson

Medalist
Another solid/intriguing sp competition from the ladies! I think the ladies are starting to wake up finally!

Julia was fine. I don't challenge the first place position but that routine is so distracting. More is NOT more. Mao looked good too, I would have had Mirai in second but then again I can't help but be a Mirai fan! :p I think she looked GREAT out there. Her speed and attack is back. I loved the way she looked right at the judges on the landing of the loop, and again, really happy to see her throwing the difficult combos this early on in the season. She's definitely on the attack. I think her PCS were low, especially on Performance Execution. Glad to see she's getting the level of her step sequence up. It was really nice, and integrated well into the choreo!

Mao looked pretty good too. That step sequence was wonderful. Such a trademark quality of hers. I really appreciate that she takes time to execute it, it really is apart of the choreography. She just has a way of melding all the elements together to make a whole.

Country
Russia
No one's denying Julia's talent, but this is the most overblown statement I've seen in a while considering she hasn't even won anything yet...
You didn't understand me.
Yuna does not compete now, Carolina also. They may be better at Worlds-2013, but now they don't compete. Or Mao may become better, but in future.
I meant only right now.
Who is now? Mao URs jumps. Ashley? Her level is about the same as Mao's. Adelina? Liza? They may be better in future (may be near future) if-when they solve their problems.

Let's wait until she has a world championship and/or an Olympic medal before we crown her Queen of the Figure Skating World...
It is a different question. I did not tell that Julia is best skater of Season 2012/13 or of Olympics-2014.