2012 Cup of China Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Free Dance

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am actually happy for B/S. Looks like they will make the GPF :) I haven't seen all the dances yet so I will try to come post more tomorrow once I do :)

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 169.73 Free Dance
2. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 159.46 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 158.97 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 149.54 Free Dance
5. Charlene GUIGNARD & Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 137.58 Free Dance
6. Victoria SINITSINA & Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (RUS) - 137.46 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Xintong HUANG & Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 121.01 Free Dance
8. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 106.42 Free Dance

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Very interesting that so many people expected P/B do be dumped after their so-called pity/lifetime achievement/home-cooked medal at Worlds, and yet instead, it looks like for some reason W/P are losing favor with the judges. Very bad luck for them to be in two events with the on-the-rise B/S... but what else explains it? Federation politics? Bad program selection? (not that P/B's FD is a masterpiece) Or are they just not as well prepared as they could have been?

Without trying to predict the rest of the season, it makes sense to me that P/B did well here and will continue to do so. They have their own style, they have a lot of federation support (being the closest to a sure thing that the FFSG has), and they had a full off-season to prepare, unlike last year when they had to move and change coaches. Their marks are not quite at the same level the top two NA teams are getting*, but surely it is a positive sign for them that the gap is narrowing while the teams behind them are not catching up.

* ETA: actually, I just realized that they scored better here in the SD and overall than V/M did last weekend (though the latter did make some obvious mistakes).

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Protocols

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn2012/gpchn2012_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Chock & Bates are looking very strong for the US bronze medal. Their base score is ahead of Bobrova & Soloviev. Choosing Igor appears to have been a good choice for them.

It is indeed too bad that they did not get a second slot. However, they aren't in line for the GPF, really, so it's a good thing that USFS gave the SA slot to Kriengkrairut & Giuletti-Schmitt.

ETA, their Dr. Zhivago program is just stunning. The transition in between in the halves of the spin is so interesting, as was the first lift, and the final choreographic lift. I just wish that CoC wasn't so fond of their overhead camera :grrrrr: :disapp:

It's great that there is now a high quality video available of it.

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I've just checked the results. :clap:Bobrova & Soloviev:clap:

Thank you for the video links. Eurosport has only showed the ladies fs so far.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm so peeved at Weaver and Poje for not changing their opening spin. It was called a level 2 twice already, once at the Ondrej Memorial Trophy and again at Skate America. It lost them 2 full points, which would have pulled them up to silver. And it also doesn't sets the tone for the technical panel.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Very interesting that so many people expected P/B do be dumped after their so-called pity/lifetime achievement/home-cooked medal at Worlds, and yet instead, it looks like for some reason W/P are losing favor with the judges. Very bad luck for them to be in two events with the on-the-rise B/S... but what else explains it? Federation politics? Bad program selection? (not that P/B's FD is a masterpiece) Or are they just not as well prepared as they could have been?

Without trying to predict the rest of the season, it makes sense to me that P/B did well here and will continue to do so. They have their own style, they have a lot of federation support (being the closest to a sure thing that the FFSG has), and they had a full off-season to prepare, unlike last year when they had to move and change coaches. Their marks are not quite at the same level the top two NA teams are getting*, but surely it is a positive sign for them that the gap is narrowing while the teams behind them are not catching up.

* ETA: actually, I just realized that they scored better here in the SD and overall than V/M did last weekend (though the latter did make some obvious mistakes).

Can I just say that CoC was a wierd event and blame that (I mean, Machida is now a GP gold medalist!)? I don't think it was bad luck for W/P to be in two events with B/S. If they can't beat them, then I doubt they were beating anyone else this early. Maybe federation politics (being #2, not number 1), not quite as well prepared (you wonder if they perhaps thought a little with worlds being in Canada and all....)... and P/B just seem hungrier. They themselves said that they no longer felt bronze was the best they could do, and are clearly putting that into action. Maybe the skate gods are just mocking our hubris? I still say that their medal was a lifetime achievement award, though. And the gap between P/B and B/S is clearly narrowing - they won by 23 points at worlds, 10 points here.

I don't think W/P have enough time to turn it around, at this point. No GPF (the sixth slot is between I/K and the Shibs now). I think they've lost a considerable amount of momentum. The GPF itself will be fascinating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I just didn't expect P/B to be dumped after Nice and they weren't. There PCS is still great and their goe is still good. Their pcs would have to have just plummeted and them go to poor goe and there was no reason to do that!

S/Z of course need to change coaches. Kustarova is just not getting anything done!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Can I just say that CoC was a wierd event and blame that (I mean, Machida is now a GP gold medalist!)? ...

And the gap between P/B and B/S is clearly narrowing - they won by 23 points at worlds, 10 points here.
It's been a strange event in the singles disciplines for sure.

Re P/B and B/S - Worlds were an outlier, because B/S really struggled there. With the exception of the GPF, their scores last year were actually closer to P/B than they are now (both teams got 156 and 163-164 point something in their GPs, and they were separated by just under four points at Euros). And for B/S, this was their third event this season while P/B were making their season debut. I don't think that gap is narrowing, at least not to a degree where P/B are in real danger (barring serious mistakes).

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ Oh, no! Spoiler in post quoted in #32... I haven't watched the men's event yet. :unsure: :eek:

I'm so peeved at Weaver and Poje for not changing their opening spin. It was called a level 2 twice already, once at the Ondrej Memorial Trophy and again at Skate America. It lost them 2 full points, which would have pulled them up to silver. And it also doesn't sets the tone for the technical panel.

I was going to ask what made W/P place behind B/S twice. Too bad they had to meet again in GP. But right that W/P and their coach should look at where they need to up their levels. B/S don't seem to be that much better than W/P. I suppose B/S fd is interesting in a "ghoulish" way and they are much improved under Zhulin and not unattractive to watch, but I much more enjoy and prefer W/P. Hope W/P figure out the changes they need to make.

As far as P/B, yes they are competent and often engaging to watch, but to me they are also showing their age. The idea for their fd is good and well-executed (thanks be to God they finally buried their Mummy outfits!). I thought P/B twizzles in their fd were just thrown in b/c they needed to be there, and were not an organic part of the program, plus they performed them sloppily and briefly. I don't see where or how P/B are 10 to 11 points better than the second, third and 4th place teams here.

I'm looking forward to W/P fine-tuning their fd, polishing their execution and upping the ante. They are just so appealing together on the ice. J'adore W/P!

Macassar88

Medalist
they can still make the GPF granted the results outcome depending on Shibutanis and I/K right ?
though 2 bronze isn't really good. The Shibutanis and I/K could score higher than that and No GPF for them
they are now behind in PCS by Bobrova/Soloviev Twice
If the Shibs/IK each win a silver and bronze or if one of those two wins two silvers, WP should be out

GPF will probably be
Virtue Moir
Davis White
Pechalat Bourzat
Bobrova Soloviev
Capellini Lanotte
Ilinykh Katsalapov/Shibutanis

Art&Sport

Medalist
If the Shibs/IK each win a silver and bronze or if one of those two wins two silvers, WP should be out

GPF will probably be
Virtue Moir
Davis White
Pechalat Bourzat
Bobrova Soloviev
Capellini Lanotte
Ilinykh Katsalapov/Shibutanis

Ahhh, yuk re I/K and P/B -- not so fond of B/S either. W/P are much more appealing on the ice -- W/P J'Adore! W/P got unlucky draw re GP this season.

Macassar88

Medalist
Ahhh, yuk re I/K and P/B -- not so fond of B/S either. W/P are much more appealing on the ice -- W/P J'Adore! W/P got unlucky draw re GP this season.

It's funny - I am a fan of both BS and WP, and when the GP rosters came out, I actually felt bad for BS because I thought that there was no way they would be able to beat WP in one never mind two GP's.

Anyway, I hope that BS improve for the GPF - they looked pretty tired in the FD especially towards the end.

herios

Medalist
I don't share the doom and gloom about W/P. They skated much better here than in SA and B/S edged them out only narrowly, by a half of a point. That is nothing. I am sure they will adress those issues. They already made improvements in their SD compared with the first 2 showings and hit 5 out of 6 key points in the YP, which only P/B managed to date.
Of course that spin has to be changed. It is a costly giveaway ( I tweeted them to change that spin...I hope they listen:))

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Although P/B say they are hunting for gold this season, I don't think the programs they have this year will do it. Their Rolling Stones FD doesn't grab one to give an ovation. Christopher Bowman skated a far better rendition in his Rolling Stones exhibition routine after he won the world bronze medal in Canada.