Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of China Free Dance

Custom Title
    I just didn't expect P/B to be dumped after Nice and they weren't. There PCS is still great and their goe is still good. Their pcs would have to have just plummeted and them go to poor goe and there was no reason to do that!

S/Z of course need to change coaches. Kustarova is just not getting anything done!

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Can I just say that CoC was a wierd event and blame that (I mean, Machida is now a GP gold medalist!)? ...

And the gap between P/B and B/S is clearly narrowing - they won by 23 points at worlds, 10 points here.
    It's been a strange event in the singles disciplines for sure.

Re P/B and B/S - Worlds were an outlier, because B/S really struggled there. With the exception of the GPF, their scores last year were actually closer to P/B than they are now (both teams got 156 and 163-164 point something in their GPs, and they were separated by just under four points at Euros). And for B/S, this was their third event this season while P/B were making their season debut. I don't think that gap is narrowing, at least not to a degree where P/B are in real danger (barring serious mistakes).

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    They look more like hippies rather than rockers...
    I actually thought they looked like counters

Custom Title
    ^^ Oh, no! Spoiler in post quoted in #32... I haven't watched the men's event yet.

Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    I'm so peeved at Weaver and Poje for not changing their opening spin. It was called a level 2 twice already, once at the Ondrej Memorial Trophy and again at Skate America. It lost them 2 full points, which would have pulled them up to silver. And it also doesn't sets the tone for the technical panel.
    I was going to ask what made W/P place behind B/S twice. Too bad they had to meet again in GP. But right that W/P and their coach should look at where they need to up their levels. B/S don't seem to be that much better than W/P. I suppose B/S fd is interesting in a "ghoulish" way and they are much improved under Zhulin and not unattractive to watch, but I much more enjoy and prefer W/P. Hope W/P figure out the changes they need to make.

As far as P/B, yes they are competent and often engaging to watch, but to me they are also showing their age. The idea for their fd is good and well-executed (thanks be to God they finally buried their Mummy outfits!). I thought P/B twizzles in their fd were just thrown in b/c they needed to be there, and were not an organic part of the program, plus they performed them sloppily and briefly. I don't see where or how P/B are 10 to 11 points better than the second, third and 4th place teams here.

I'm looking forward to W/P fine-tuning their fd, polishing their execution and upping the ante. They are just so appealing together on the ice. J'adore W/P!

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    they can still make the GPF granted the results outcome depending on Shibutanis and I/K right ?
    though 2 bronze isn't really good. The Shibutanis and I/K could score higher than that and No GPF for them
    they are now behind in PCS by Bobrova/Soloviev Twice
    If the Shibs/IK each win a silver and bronze or if one of those two wins two silvers, WP should be out

GPF will probably be
    Virtue Moir
    Davis White
    Pechalat Bourzat
    Bobrova Soloviev
    Capellini Lanotte
    Ilinykh Katsalapov/Shibutanis

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    If the Shibs/IK each win a silver and bronze or if one of those two wins two silvers, WP should be out

GPF will probably be
    Virtue Moir
    Davis White
    Pechalat Bourzat
    Bobrova Soloviev
    Capellini Lanotte
    Ilinykh Katsalapov/Shibutanis

Ahhh, yuk re I/K and P/B -- not so fond of B/S either. W/P are much more appealing on the ice -- W/P J'Adore! W/P got unlucky draw re GP this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Ahhh, yuk re I/K and P/B -- not so fond of B/S either. W/P are much more appealing on the ice -- W/P J'Adore! W/P got unlucky draw re GP this season.
    It's funny - I am a fan of both BS and WP, and when the GP rosters came out, I actually felt bad for BS because I thought that there was no way they would be able to beat WP in one never mind two GP's.

Anyway, I hope that BS improve for the GPF - they looked pretty tired in the FD especially towards the end.

Custom Title
    I don't share the doom and gloom about W/P. They skated much better here than in SA and B/S edged them out only narrowly, by a half of a point. That is nothing. I am sure they will adress those issues. They already made improvements in their SD compared with the first 2 showings and hit 5 out of 6 key points in the YP, which only P/B managed to date.
    Of course that spin has to be changed. It is a costly giveaway ( I tweeted them to change that spin...I hope they listen)
    Last edited by herios; 11-03-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Anyone notice that 10 that PB got? Is it their first?

Custom Title
    Although P/B say they are hunting for gold this season, I don't think the programs they have this year will do it. Their Rolling Stones FD doesn't grab one to give an ovation. Christopher Bowman skated a far better rendition in his Rolling Stones exhibition routine after he won the world bronze medal in Canada.

Medalist
    I like P&B's SD, it suits them. The beginning of the FD is really bad IMO. I thought I would hate it and then came the slow part, which was well done, and the fast part at the end, which is much better than whatever it is they're doing at the start. This FD has potential, I already like it better than their Mummy FD (that one really left me cold), but they need to tweak things, if it were up to me also totally re-vamp the beginning...

B&S have improved so much with Zhulin, it's a joy to watch. I'm not sure their SD is totally coherent, but I like it anyway. They have one of my favourite FDs this season, it's beautifully choreographed.

Not convinced by W&P's SD at all, it seems uncharacteristically generic for them. The FD is interesting, but last year's FD was such a hit with everyone that people may be unconsciously comparing? Also don't like her costume, there must be a way to get that concept across with something that's more flattering? Not that I don't appreciate the odd Usova hommage, but yeah no... And they need to deal with those tech issues in the FD, of course.

C&B did good to go with Shpilband IMO, they're looking very precise and sharp. The SD is interesting, I like it, though the costumes are too sparkly and frilly. That Zhivago FD is gorgeous IMO, with its choreography geared towards technical excellence. It's not abandoning choreography for the elements, it's somehow making the grab for the highest levels part of the concept. There's something really admirable in this honesty and lack of pretension IMO. I thought D&W's tango that won them the WC 2011 had a similar feel, and I loved that one as well. Tough I don't know about the "snow flake" costumes there either...

So far for SDs I've liked D&W, C&L and P&B the most. For FDs I like both Carmens, B&S, C&B's Zhivago....W&P, P&B and D&W have potential, but I'm not quite convinced yet.
    Last edited by katha; 11-03-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Anyone notice that 10 that PB got? Is it their first?
    They got two in Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    They got two in Nice.
    And one or two at the WTT, However I think they deserved 10s in Nice but not today, really!

Custom Title
    If you look at the protocols, it's plain that Weaver / Poje need to work on parts of their FD.

Their opening spin was rated only level2.

They got level3 on their circular step sequence, and +2 from only one of the judges.

Their twizzles were noticeably out of sync and they were too far apart --- they got -1 from one judge and 0s from all but one of the others.

They got level2 on their diagonal step sequence, and only +1 from most of the judges.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    ^^ Oh, no! Spoiler in post quoted in #32... I haven't watched the men's event yet.

I was going to ask what made W/P place behind B/S twice. Too bad they had to meet again in GP. But right that W/P and their coach should look at where they need to up their levels. B/S don't seem to be that much better than W/P. I suppose B/S fd is interesting in a "ghoulish" way and they are much improved under Zhulin and not unattractive to watch, but I much more enjoy and prefer W/P. Hope W/P figure out the changes they need to make.

As far as P/B, yes they are competent and often engaging to watch, but to me they are also showing their age. The idea for their fd is good and well-executed (thanks be to God they finally buried their Mummy outfits!). I thought P/B twizzles in their fd were just thrown in b/c they needed to be there, and were not an organic part of the program, plus they performed them sloppily and briefly. I don't see where or how P/B are 10 to 11 points better than the second, third and 4th place teams here.

I'm looking forward to W/P fine-tuning their fd, polishing their execution and upping the ante. They are just so appealing together on the ice. J'adore W/P!
    I agree. But I have to say I just don't get P and B; I don't think the gap should be widening between them and B and S. They are competent but not inspiring like and P or B and S. In other years they would have been like that Israeli team should have taken their medal and run. I know some people love them but I think they are overmarked and the programs are meh.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast