2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wasn't impressed with Lipnitskaia. Her skating is very herky-jerky: she lands her small jumps, but there isn't much flowout from them. She doesn't seem to have any relationship with the music. She does all the choreographic touches that were given to her, but they were often not exactly where they should have been with the music. And there was entirely too much leg-grabbing. Yes, Julia, we know you are very bendy, but feats of flexibility by themselves don't express the character of the music.

Her annoyance in the KnC at not winning the competition can be forgiven because she is only 14 years old. But she should recognize that she is now skating against senior women. Maybe Mao Asada didn't have the technical chops Julia had, but she skated smoothly, lightly and with feeling so that the whole was worth far more than the sum of its parts. Julia's whole was considerably less than Mao's----that's why Mao won.

Mao didn't have the technical chops of any grand Prix winner ever before under cop or since more than two kinds of triples were being done in skating but people are calling her deserving and are saying she was great! She was out jumped by the second place person and third place person and the fifth place person and the sixth and Mao won with the lowest jump content outside of a competition for like ten year olds.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I wasn't impressed with Lipnitskaia. Her skating is very herky-jerky: she lands her small jumps, but there isn't much flowout from them. She doesn't seem to have any relationship with the music. She does all the choreographic touches that were given to her, but they were often not exactly where they should have been with the music. And there was entirely too much leg-grabbing. Yes, Julia, we know you are very bendy, but feats of flexibility by themselves don't express the character of the music.

Her annoyance in the KnC at not winning the competition can be forgiven because she is only 14 years old. But she should recognize that she is now skating against senior women. Maybe Mao Asada didn't have the technical chops Julia had, but she skated smoothly, lightly and with feeling so that the whole was worth far more than the sum of its parts. Julia's whole was considerably less than Mao's----that's why Mao won.

She was annoyed at her bad skate..That's the big difference. She is a maximalist))

gioccia

On the Ice
I agree, I think her attitude was very sportive, she was dissapointed with her skating, not the marks... look at the replay..her facial expression when the music stopped...she was shocked.
My opinion once again, Mao won desevedly, Julia definately lacked emotions and had mistakes... BUT I'm a big fan of Mao's, though she is not Mao I love unfortunately...
By the way..I think Kira makes progress every year... She's growing on me.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I love Mao's LP! It's really beautiful and suit her well. hope she can get all her jumps back by the end of the season.

Enidan

On the Ice
I'm STRONGLY disagree with Gymers, Oh well, although mao is not a really good skater, she can't jump much beside the loops jump. I'm Ok with her win here b/c dis is a really really weak field. I don't think julia is the deserve winner here. Watching julia skate her nutcracker program: she skates here and there, and there and here and she stops and raises her leg. She doesn't have any emotion, and all her movements don't go with music at all. So, julia is a deserve winner nananananannnnnnnnnnn.

However, if mao skates like dis and win against reigning to be World Champion, Ashley Wagner, then I will have BIG problem. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

ForeverFish

Medalist
Regardless of which skater you like better, Mao is the undisputed champion here. Julia had a hairsbreadth of a lead after the short, so really, either one of them could have taken the crown. You could see the shock on her face after completing her free skate--she flubbed two triple-triple combinations, something that didn't happen all last season, though even her nerves of steel can fray. She's a bright and hardworking girl, and she'll undoubtedly be pushing herself to clean them up before TEB.

chloepoco

Medalist
Mao didn't have the technical chops of any grand Prix winner ever before under cop or since more than two kinds of triples were being done in skating but people are calling her deserving and are saying she was great! She was out jumped by the second place person and third place person and the fifth place person and the sixth and Mao won with the lowest jump content outside of a competition for like ten year olds.

Gmyers, I think we all get that you think Mao is chopped liver. Some here may agree; others may disagree. You've stated the same things many times already.

miki88

Medalist

Huh? Check the protocols, she had the second highest TES in the LP. She wasn't the only skater hit by downgrades and there is more to TES than jump elements.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think Mao is chopped liver when it comes to winning events because cop says she can and she is not far behind kostner and could easily be world champion even with just tiny improvement in her jumps and think that is very unsatisfying. She can't be chopped liver she has to be taken very seriously and while others like to compare Julia to a dog peeing I am not talking about Julia just Mao jumps and cop and Mao going in Kostners direction and with many events I will see Mao on tv on NBC but not china because NBC won't air it but will not watch her do a two triple skate because it's so beneath Mao.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Huh? Check the protocols, she had the second highest TES in the LP. She wasn't the only skater hit by downgrades and there is more to TES than jump elements.

The very good TES was because of Spins and steps and goe and filling all jumping slots but not because of great jumping. I know all this and the TES is not just jumps and when I think if Mao adds a flip or toe to her loops and salchows she can be world champ with good TES and pcs.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I'm STRONGLY disagree with Gymers, Oh well, although mao is not a really good skater, she can't jump much beside the loops jump. I'm Ok with her win here b/c dis is a really really weak field. I don't think julia is the deserve winner here. Watching julia skate her nutcracker program just remind me of the time when I took my dog out to any new place that he never been to. He will walk a little here and there, and there and here and he stops and raises his leg and pee. She doesn't have any emotion, and all her movements don't go with music at all. So, julia is a deserve winner nananananannnnnnnnnnn.

However, if mao skates like dis and win against reigning to be World Champion, Ashley Wagner, then I will have BIG problem. :mad:

Congratulations you have outdone flatt Fan in being disgusting about julia

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
Poor judging on this one too. Kiira Korpi should have been much lower than 3rd. She made obvious mistakes and still got a medal. I had her around 5th. Has the ISU already decided the outcomes before the season begins?

Reginald

Match Penalty
I agree that Julia was undermarked and had her name been Kaetlyn Osmond instead of Julia Lipnitskaya, she would have scored 120+!. However, Mao was the deserved winner, but I remain concerned about Mao's technical frailties.

In terms of Julia, the fact that she didn't win on her GP debut will probably be a good thing in the long term. It will make her even more determined and incentivised to improve further. She is still only 14 after all.

Okay, I'm going to say this.

In sports, I really don't agree with this "It's good that we lost, so now we will be more determined" philosophy.

This saying is somewhat true politics, but in skating it's fall flat.

Just think, if Julia had won here, she could have gone and won everything in sight the next two years and become the greatest teenage figure skatign phenom ever.

Now, she has lost that chance.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Both Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova have it WAY over Lipnitskaia when it comes to expressing the music and real skating skills. So no, I don't think if Julia had won CoC she would have won everything in sight.

I like Osmond, but don't believe she will go on to win everything in sight either, just because she won SC. She still has not completed a clean FS and that is something she is going to need to do in later competitions.

Ice is slippery and you have to deliver the goods at the place and time you compete. Julia didn't (at least not at a Senior level) and so she won silver at CoC. There is plenty of room for improvement, and if she really wants to win she will have to address the areas that cost her the CoC title.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

In sports, I really don't agree with this "It's good that we lost, so now we will be more determined" philosophy.

Just think, if Julia had won here, she could have gone and won everything in sight the next two years and become the greatest teenage figure skatign phenom ever.

This is a great debut for a 14 year old! She still could be the greatest.Only the time will tell..

gmyers

Record Breaker
Julia definitely needs more of a program than thongs and dog pee position lol

She didn't beat a skater who did two triples, where is the potential for her winning anything?

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Julia definitely needs more of a program than thongs and dog pee position lol

She didn't beat a skater who did two triples, where is the potential for her winning anything?

It's getting old repeating the same thing over and over. You alredy made your point so get over it. By the way, Mao landed 3 clean triples.

ks777

Record Breaker
I just watched Mirai's LP and loved it! Her speed is finally back! She has been skating so slow and I didn't think she was going to get it back.

ForeverFish

Medalist

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logical jump between "She placed silver at her first senior GP to the Olympic silver medalist because she got a little nervous" and "She's now lost any chance of ever becoming world champion or winning anything again." :unsure: