2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program

icellist

On the Ice
But Mao didn't win. So what's with the Chan comparison?
Wasn't Abbott with a meltdown at SA got second highest PCS?

IMHO I perceive TES and PCS as two different things while the judges cant. They sometimes feel that SS, TR, PE, CH, IN have something to do with a skater falling or underrotating. I don't see the logic in that. I would understand if the skater gave up and started skating sloppily during the middle of the program but if they don't give up, give them the PCS they deserve

icellist

On the Ice
And to answer your question: if a skater goes out there and does 7 triple jumps, all with UR call but all of them nearly not visible to the naked eye without slow motion - than yes, I think that skater could get huge PCS without having done one clean triple. And I think that would be completly rightfully so.

Preach to the choir! ITA

gmyers

Record Breaker
Three triple Mao did win! It wasnt a worlds and it was "only" cup of china but she did.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Can we start a new thread about PCS and leave it out of the CoC ladies FS thread?

I would've liked Mirai to win bronze after watching hers and Korpi's performance. Mirai deserved the downgrade on the 2A-3T and the underrotation on the 2L at the end of her 3 jump combo. The other underrotation calls were really weird to me (really how was the last loop << ?). Mirai's been plagued with edge calls in the past few years by the tech panel. 2010-2011: she lips. 2011-2012: she flutz. She started out flutzing and now she's lipping. She must be so confused. She has a cleaner performance than Korpi too. I also think her program is comparable to Mao's and Kiira's, and my favorite among the American ladies (yes, I prefer it over Wagner's). Under 7 for transitions??? and most insulting is PCS so close to Lipnitskaia's. Lipnitskaia's program has nothing special except for jumps, can't even hold a strong edge... Speed wise Mirai and Kiira were top of the field. Julia has little ice coverage and Mao was more timid that JO

Mirai got what she deserved. Korpi is a far better performer. Mirai isn't superior to her. Jump wise they are similar.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think Julia is going to get hit hard when her body changes. She's grown in height but still has a little girls body. I'm not sure those rather tiny jumps will survive. I know that horrible looking 2axel won't survive.

Maybe she could be like Mao and be successful with a only a loop and salchow when she is maos age

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
gmyers said:
Maybe she could be like Mao and be successful with a only a loop and salchow when she is maos age

I fear you're thinking your funny - but sadly, if Julia gains Maos skating skills and overall quality, that might just rightfully happen one day.

icellist said:
Mirai deserved the downgrade on the 2A-3T and the underrotation on the 2L at the end of her 3 jump combo. The other underrotation calls were really weird to me (really how was the last loop << ?).

The tech panel was really strict, and Mirai hit really hard... I thought some jumps were borderline, but so many UR was a mean suprise. She deserved the bronze I think...

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Kiira has cleaner edge, much better control, better SS than Mirai's. Her PE, IN, CH are also a few league above.
Her jumps are better, fully rotated. No edge call.
Why on earth would Mirai place above her? Even in PCS, I feel Kiira is lowballed in both phases of the competition. Her PCS should approach Kostner's. She barely beat Mirai in PCS, which is wrong.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

Haha)))That will be a disaster for SPORT,imo..Actually, I'm not an uber fan of pcs as everybody else here seems to be. I understand why Mao's won, but I want figure skating to stay more sport than some performance competition...It's unjust when you win only on pcs=(

gmyers

Record Breaker
I fear you're thinking your funny - but sadly, if Julia gains Maos skating skills and overall quality, that might just rightfully happen one day.

It might happen and people would defend the win they they very happy about Mao's. Why worry about julias jumps? For Mao she only needs a loop and salchow and kostner can stop doing a lutz and make a flip a big event. When Julia is older you can see a scenario where if she excels in areas other than jumps To a great extent she can just do loops and salchows!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
koatcue said:
It's unjust when you win only on pcs=(

Lol... right, who needs skating skills or a good choreography. Let's just have the skaters skate circles around the rink doing a jump every 20 sec and look who lands the most of them. That would be so much fun!

icellist

On the Ice
Mirai got what she deserved. Korpi is a far better performer. Mirai isn't superior to her. Jump wise they are similar.

Can you please elaborate? Had Mirai not been butchered by the tech panel, she would have a FS score of 110+ beating Kiira. How is Korpi a better performer than Mirai? There's also a double standard in the music that they use. The first part of Kiira's FS music has a ferocious mood to it that I didn't get from Kiira, but after the music got calm, she skates very elegantly and sensitive with the music. Mirai's music is very stoic and regal which I felt from her skating, but stoic and regal is not very well projected. Many people can not distinguish stoic and regal from bored. Jump wise, I feel Mirai has a slight upperhand while Kiira has a consistent 3T-3T. Mirai gets more height and flow out of jumps than Kiira.

Sorry but your 1 line response seemed like a slap in my face.

naan

Rinkside
But Mao didn't win. So what's with the Chan comparison?
Wasn't Abbott with a meltdown at SA got second highest PCS?

What are you talking about? Mao won gold with 4 triples (3 3Lo, 1 3S), and Julia got silver with 9 triples, Korpi won bronze with 7 triples.

Mao deserves to get high PCS compared to other skaters because she has great qualities on her skate. But not that huge gap, because today, Mao lacks power and was a little bit cautious, and nothing special on her program, IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about Mao's win. Just didn't like some people has double standard when it comes to Patrick Chan.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Lol... right, who needs skating skills or a good choreography. Let's just have the skaters skate circles around the rink doing a jump every 20 sec and look who lands the most of them. That would be so much fun!

If a skater can win only on PCS, it's not much different from ice dance.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What are you talking about? Mao won gold with 4 triples (3 3Lo, 1 3S), and Julia got silver with 9 triples, Korpi won bronze with 7 triples.

Mao deserves to get high PCS compared to other skaters because she has great qualities on her skate. But not that huge gap, because today, Mao lacks power and was a little bit cautious, and nothing special on her program, IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't complaining about Mao's win. Just didn't like some people has double standard when it comes to Patrick Chan.

The conversation was about World. hello.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Haha)))That will be a disaster for SPORT,imo..Actually, I'm not an uber fan of pcs as everybody else here seems to be. I understand why Mao's won, but I want figure skating to stay more sport than some performance competition...It's unjust when you win only on pcs=(

I agree! I like wins with tougher jump content.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Can you please elaborate? Had Mirai not been butchered by the tech panel, she would have a FS score of 110+ beating Kiira. How is Korpi a better performer than Mirai? There's also a double standard in the music that they use. The first part of Kiira's FS music has a ferocious mood to it that I didn't get from Kiira, but after the music got calm, she skates very elegantly and sensitive with the music. Mirai's music is very stoic and regal which I felt from her skating, but stoic and regal is not very well projected. Many people can not distinguish stoic and regal from bored. Jump wise, I feel Mirai has a slight upperhand while Kiira has a consistent 3T-3T. Mirai gets more height and flow out of jumps than Kiira.

Sorry but your 1 line response seemed like a slap in my face.

Mirai was butchered by the TES panel? Really? So she rotated all of jumps, but somehow the judges were out there to call her edges and downgraded her jumps? All are phantom downgrades? Really?
Mirai is known to skate lifelessly ALL the time. How is she not a worse performer? So now, you can rewrite all of her programs as stoic and regal. Sure. This girl had a long history of questionable jumps, should be dinged every single time.