2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Unfortunately for Mirai on a lot of her jumps, the very tippy top of her toepick touches down on the ice right before that 1/4 turn mark. The < calls were all justified if you believe that's when a jump should be considered landed (rather than when there's more actual weight from the blade pressing into the ice), but the << on that 3Loop was entirely wrong.

Korpi's 3T and 3Lz were both barely, barely rotated. It's kind of sad how a skater can get so many more points for doing lackluster jumps that are only rotated a degree or two more. It doesn't make sense mathematically and that's what CoP is supposed to be about.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Did you read my previous assessment of her jumps (that I said wasn't clean). And you make it sound like even when she does fully rotate she should be dinged. and Mirai is known to skate lifelessly ALL the time? If we take out the 2011-2012 season, how many examples can you use? Could you write in a less accusatory, more civilized tone?
You said they butchered her scores. Do you know how that sounded? Sounded like she was fine but they were out to get her.
She had been on zombie mode for the past two seasons. Looks like the trend is not reversing this year, either.

gioccia

On the Ice
I agree with the judging... I would even say that Mao was underscored. Mao and Kira in terms of PCS are a different league... No way Mirai deserved the bronze. Very mediocre skating, but it's promising that she finally LANDED all the jumps...I am not a pro but it was clear that most of them were way underrotated. What's for Julia, she seemed VERY nervous even at the beginning and it showed, she's pissed off and it's good, she does have a champion character! By the way I hate her leg liftings... She doesn't need that...evrb will see how flexible she is at the end. I've never understood inflated PCS of Kostner and now I don't understand all the fuss about Ashley...I do like her skating, but as for me...Kira and Mao are of a different world in comparison with them...though I give Ashley credit for her consistensy.
We'll live and see how juniours grow and develop...we should talk about the way they are now with their strong and weak points. I think it's unfair to underestimate TES of younger skaters saying they lack this and that in terms of PCS while estimating PCS of mature skaters having a blind eye on their low TES. It's sport and for me TES go in the first place. If you can add good PCS to that it's good, but only TES matter. If you like PCS go to the show, ballet and not a sports competition.
iT's sad to watch that performance outweighs sports achievement in sport.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
sapphiresky said:
Whoa...someone's a little angry...
Last season, she attempted a program with 6 different triples- not many ladies do that nowadays, sure it wasn't a great season in terms of placement but she was also dealing with personal issues.
Before that, of course she was struggling- she was revamping her technique. I really had a lot of respect for her during that time- for her to win Worlds in 2010, then come out in competition the next season being only able to do 2 clean triples in competition and having all of the world watch her as she struggled.
Sure, it easy to criticize as audience members, but it's not like skaters mean to fail- they're trying their best. She's being a trooper just by stepping out onto the ice every single season. I'm glad that she didn't decide to retire even though she thought about it this summer.

FYI, this is what she said at the press conference:
One journalist from Japan asked mao if she has any advice for young skaters. She said that she is not in a position to give advices because they are already high level skaters and she is looking forward to competing with them.
She also said that she was not at all happy with her performance, was surprised at her win and needs to do a lot of work.

Great post!! :thumbsup:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Unfortunately for Mirai on a lot of her jumps, the very tippy top of her toepick touches down on the ice right before that 1/4 turn mark. The < calls were all justified if you believe that's when a jump should be considered landed (rather than when there's more actual weight from the blade pressing into the ice), but the << on that 3Loop was entirely wrong.

Korpi's 3T and 3Lz were both barely, barely rotated. It's kind of sad how a skater can get so many more points for doing lackluster jumps that are only rotated a degree or two more. It doesn't make sense mathematically and that's what CoP is supposed to be about.
I have to agree about this: Mirai's jumps missed something around 1/5 of the rotation in flip and lutz, it was not really 1/4, when the toeloop was obviously << but Yes, some of kiira's jumps had the same rotation but received the same score... It looks really like the Technical Panel didn't like Mirai at all (technically, I mean):no:

lavender

Record Breaker
Happy Mao took the win. Good for her and her being humble.

I guess I don't get the argument after watching both. The overall quality, maturity, choreography, skating skills go to Mao imo. IMO the scoring was right. I didn't know Julia also had some obvious mistakes over those jumps. I don't know how I feel yet about Julia's execution of her jumps.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think it's unfair to underestimate TES of younger skaters saying they lack this and that in terms of PCS while estimating PCS of mature skaters having a blind eye on their low TES..

I know you wrote a lot but I really believe in the bolded part! It's like Mao can just do loops and salchows and but because of all the non jump elements and PCS jumps really don't mattter for her anymore in success or at least not in the Cup of China! But you see the same thing on the world level with Kostner! So it may carryover that Mao could do loops and salchows at a worlds and medal or win. If second place in Tuktamisheva or (she's not old enough but) Lipnitskaia than she would win that too. And then you have a world championship winner where jumps are just minimum effort with no meaning really.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I know you wrote a lot but I really believe in the bolded part! It's like Mao can just do loops and salchows and but because of all the non jump elements and PCS jumps really don't mattter for her anymore in success or at least not in the Cup of China! But you see the same thing on the world level with Kostner! So it may carryover that Mao could do loops and salchows at a worlds and medal or win. If second place in Tuktamisheva or (she's not old enough but) Lipnitskaia than she would win that too. And then you have a world championship winner where jumps are just minimum effort with no meaning really.

I think this is a trend, we won't be seeing any high technical ladies medalling at Worlds next season , PCS seems more of a buffer nowadays
unless Kim Yuna comes back of course

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think this is a trend, we won't be seeing any high technical ladies medalling at Worlds next season , PCS seems more of a buffer nowadays
unless Kim Yuna comes back of course
Yes, I do hope she brings back her 3Lz+3T and beautiful triples so Mao, Carolina, Adelina, Ashley, Liza must show 6 or 7 triples plus 3-3 again...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes, I do hope she brings back her 3Lz+3T and beautiful triples so Mao, Carolina, Adelina, Ashley, Liza must show 6 or 7 triples plus 3-3 again...

exactly, with Yuna coming back, the ladies will need to up their Tech contents
that's why I hope Yuna's comeback will at least be half fruitful, I want TES almost at par with their PCS

jan

On the Ice
Just watched Korpi and Nagusu back to back. I do not understand Korpi's PCS. She was way over marked IMO. She had too many bobbles etc. Her positions in spins are not strong.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Just watched Korpi and Nagusu back to back. I do not understand Korpi's PCS. She was way over marked IMO. She had too many bobbles etc. Her positions in spins are not strong.
:agree: compared to the others, 59 seems quite high, but I disagree about the positions: she's not so flexible but her technique is excellent!

anthologyz

Rinkside
i think mirai's program is a step in the right direction, but then again, i have a soft spot for this music. some of these <<< calls seem a bit draconian, but hopefully it'll push her to focus on her technique. it may be the difference between the jumps at 2010 nationals and 2010 olympics.

as for mao, lovely, mature skating. i'm impressed that after 2 years of reworking her triples, she's back on track. i wonder if yuna is working on her loop?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I was comparing the scores, and I discovered that Liza at her debut at SC 2011 received 53.60 for her almost clean program, today Julia received 57 for her messy program, so she should be VERY happy for her scores!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, I think Lacoste just buried herself without a coffin. She need to show some consistency and land the big jumps; she ended up sixth but boy was she lucky. I think Canada will be pushng for Osmond for sure and maybe praying Rochette comes back. I also think Korpi is still over marked especially pcs. But she is beautiful but I don't remember that being part of the marks.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao's program was very good. However high her PCS was, she deserved it. The Eurosport callers didn't notice all the problems with her jumps that the technical caller did. Once again, the ridiculous scoring system is working to kill figure skating--or at least a ridiculous technical caller is. Calls in professional baseball and basketball are judged by the naked eye. Why can't figure skating be, too? I haven't seem Mirai's program yet, but expect to be similarly puzzled by the downgrades.