2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
can you please elaborate? Had mirai not been butchered by the tech panel, she would have a fs score of 110+ beating kiira. How is korpi a better performer than mirai? There's also a double standard in the music that they use. The first part of kiira's fs music has a ferocious mood to it that i didn't get from kiira, but after the music got calm, she skates very elegantly and sensitive with the music. Mirai's music is very stoic and regal which i felt from her skating, but stoic and regal is not very well projected. Many people can not distinguish stoic and regal from bored. Jump wise, i feel mirai has a slight upperhand while kiira has a consistent 3t-3t. Mirai gets more height and flow out of jumps than kiira.

Sorry but your 1 line response seemed like a slap in my face.

^^^
this!

icellist

On the Ice
Mirai was butchered by the TES panel? Really? So she rotated all of jumps, but somehow the judges were out there to call her edges and downgraded her jumps? All are phantom downgrades? Really?
Mirai is known to skate lifelessly ALL the time. How is she not a worse performer? So now, you can rewrite all of her programs as stoic and regal. Sure. This girl had a long history of questionable jumps, should be dinged every single time.

Did you read my previous assessment of her jumps (that I said wasn't clean). And you make it sound like even when she does fully rotate she should be dinged. and Mirai is known to skate lifelessly ALL the time? If we take out the 2011-2012 season, how many examples can you use? Could you write in a less accusatory, more civilized tone?

naan

Rinkside
The conversation was about World. hello.

As mikeko666 said, Asada landed only one clean triple in FS, and earned the second highest PCS (60.02) only next to Kostner (65.72). Suzuki landed six triples and her PCS was 59.24.
Her PCS was huge, but she couldn't win because her TES score was so low.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
It's interesting to see how demanded Mao and Julia are even at the beginning of the season.
From what I have seen during the off season,Mao's practice at Shiyokohama is doing great not only skating itself but jumps.They have speed going in and nice flow out.
It sounds like Julia got nervous for the first time at competitions.She looked like a mature skater in her attitude last season,but she is only 14 year old. All I can say is another skater with tons of talents move up to the senior world.
Mirai looks in good shape. It's nice to see fire in her. That's what I have longed for.
I love Princess Zijun Li. She's one of my favorite skaters from the first time she showed up at JGPS!! Her lightness and grace makes me smile. Good debut for her.

That's what I think from CoC. I suppose a competition except OGM or WC is just too few to consider or to bush a skater's strategies or conditions.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
mikeko666 said:
Have you read the Patrick Ibens interview? He is a former ISU judge.

No. And I'm not really interested, it's not going to get sense into your 'PCS are senseless' argument I guess.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's interesting to see how demanded Mao and Julia are even at the beginning of the season.
From what I have seen during the off season,Mao's practice at Shiyokohama is doing great not only skating itself but jumps.They have speed going in and nice flow out.
It sounds like Julia got nervous for the first time at competitions.She looked like a mature skater in her attitude last season,but she is only 14 year old. All I can say is another skater with tons of talents move up to the senior world.
Mirai looks in good shape. It's nice to see fire in her. That's what I have longed for.
I love Princess Zijun Li. She's one of my favorite skaters from the first time she showed up at JGPS!! Her lightness and grace makes me smile. Good debut for her.

That's what I think from CoC. I suppose a competition except OGM or WC is just too few to consider or to bush a skater's strategies or conditions.

Demanding of Mao? Of more than a triple loop and triple salchow? Of course! Who thinks a world champion is going to go to a GP event and only show capability of doing two kinds of tirples. This is like when Mao showed up at NHK 2010 and also did just a loop and salchow! Now she singled stuff and fell a lot but this two kinds of triple Mao is in so many ways like the 2010 NHK that came in 8th! This was one of the worst returns of world champion ever. Loops and Salchow? Has Mao given an interview yet? Is she happy with doing two kinds of triples and that she won!! This is without precedent I think. What decade is this content? This isn't even 80's or its really bad 80's jump content! It's stunning and a bad stunning.

mary01

Final Flight
Demanding of Mao? Of more than a triple loop and triple salchow? Of course! Who thinks a world champion is going to go to a GP event and only show capability of doing two kinds of tirples. This is like when Mao showed up at NHK 2010 and also did just a loop and salchow! Now she singled stuff and fell a lot but this two kinds of triple Mao is in so many ways like the 2010 NHK that came in 8th! This was one of the worst returns of world champion ever. Loops and Salchow? Has Mao given an interview yet? Is she happy with doing two kinds of triples and that she won!! This is without precedent I think. What decade is this content? This isn't even 80's or its really bad 80's jump content! It's stunning and a bad stunning.

see this is the perfect evidence, that shows someone talking about something they haven't even seen, Mao never fell, she never singled her jumps. Maybe you should watch the programs before commentating and complaining about things that never happened! it would make your commentary much more trustworthy in the future, that's all i have to say!

yuki

Final Flight
Mao attempted all 5 kinds of triples (minus the 3 axel) in her long program. She wasn't exactly successful with all of them, but you make it sound like she deliberately did only loops and salchows. I watched the whole competition live on TV and it was a splatfest. After Mao finished skating, I was convinced she was going to end up with silver because her score should have been beatable by Julia. This was Julia's competition to lose. Had Mao medalled at worlds with this kind of jumping content, I would understand the outrage. Had she beaten a clean or nearly clean Lipnitskaya here, I would consider it unfair. But she didn't. She won a poorly-skated GP event and yet people are outraged that a jumping bean who didn't even have great jumps today lost to her.

gmyers

Record Breaker
see this is the perfect evidence, that shows someone talking about something they haven't even seen, Mao never fell, she never singled her jumps. Maybe you should watch the programs before commentating and complaining about things that never happened! it would make your commentary much more trustworthy in the future, that's all i have to say!

I was talking about 2010 there not this year. She didn't fall this year but just like 2010 she only did loop and salchow.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Mao attempted all 5 kinds of triples (minus the 3 axel) in her long program. She wasn't exactly successful with all of them, but you make it sound like she deliberately did only loops and salchows. I watched the whole competition live on TV and it was a splatfest. After Mao finished skating, I was convinced she was going to end up with silver because her score should have been beatable by Julia. This was Julia's competition to lose. Had Mao medalled at worlds with this kind of jumping content, I would understand the outrage. Had she beaten a clean or nearly clean Lipnitskaya here, I would consider it unfair. But she didn't. She won a poorly-skated GP event and yet people are outraged that a jumping bean who didn't even have great jumps today lost to her.

It's not even really about Julia its about this level of jumping being a part of something that gets the most points and wins an event? This is COP. COP allows loops and salchows to be the only successful jumps as part of winning. She attempted different but they were unsuccessful. And also this is Mao that with this level of jumps won . Mao Asada won an event, no matter who her competition or what they did, with loops and salchows. That's amazing. I can't beleive this is Mao or this is COP.

I don't even want to see Julia either! The exteme level of atriciousness that skate must be to lose must be awful to witness!

Last edited:

sapphiresky

Rinkside

Whoa...someone's a little angry...
Last season, she attempted a program with 6 different triples- not many ladies do that nowadays, sure it wasn't a great season in terms of placement but she was also dealing with personal issues.
Before that, of course she was struggling- she was revamping her technique. I really had a lot of respect for her during that time- for her to win Worlds in 2010, then come out in competition the next season being only able to do 2 clean triples in competition and having all of the world watch her as she struggled.
Sure, it easy to criticize as audience members, but it's not like skaters mean to fail- they're trying their best. She's being a trooper just by stepping out onto the ice every single season. I'm glad that she didn't decide to retire even though she thought about it this summer.

FYI, this is what she said at the press conference:
One journalist from Japan asked mao if she has any advice for young skaters. She said that she is not in a position to give advices because they are already high level skaters and she is looking forward to competing with them.
She also said that she was not at all happy with her performance, was surprised at her win and needs to do a lot of work.

mary01

Final Flight
I was talking about 2010 there not this year. She didn't fall this year but just like 2010 she only did loop and salchow.

in 2010 Mao had a complete different jump arsenal, where she actually didn't do a salcow, but instead was doing two 3A in the free, which is why i really can't make much sense of what you're saying and what actually happened that year either!:laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
in 2010 Mao had a complete different jump arsenal, where she actually didn't do a salcow, but instead was doing two 3A in the free, which is why i really can't make much sense of what you're saying and what actually happened that year either!:laugh:

Why can't you go back and read the post which mentions 2010 NHK! That is what I am talking about and its all in the post and you are not reading it right.

showed up at NHK 2010 and also did just a loop and salchow! Now she singled stuff and fell a lot but this two kinds of triple Mao is in so many ways like the 2010 NHK that came in 8th

gmyers

Record Breaker
Whoa...someone's a little angry...
Last season, she attempted a program with 6 different triples- not many ladies do that nowadays, sure it wasn't a great season in terms of placement but she was also dealing with personal issues.
Before that, of course she was struggling- she was revamping her technique. I really had a lot of respect for her during that time- for her to win Worlds in 2010, then come out in competition the next season being only able to do 2 clean triples in competition and having all of the world watch her as she struggled.
Sure, it easy to criticize as audience members, but it's not like skaters mean to fail- they're trying their best. She's being a trooper just by stepping out onto the ice every single season. I'm glad that she didn't decide to retire even though she thought about it this summer.

One journalist from Japan asked mao if she has any advice for young skaters. She said that she is not in a position to give advices because they are already high level skaters and she is looking forward to competing with them.
She also said that she was not at all happy with her performance, was surprised at her win and needs to do a lot of work.

It's different now she came in 8th 2010 NHK and did poorly but now she won at 2012 Cup of China! Two triples!

I wish COP told her she needed a lot of work! She's telling herself but COP is all like "you are great and a winner!!!"

Kelly

On the Ice
...., but it's not like skaters mean to fail- they're trying their best. She's being a trooper just by stepping out onto the ice every single season. I'm glad that she didn't decide to retire even though she thought about it this summer.

:agree:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The << call on Mirai's second 3Loop is just unfathomable. There is simply NO way the jump was that underrotated. Absolutely not.

mary01

Final Flight
I wish COP told her she needed a lot of work! She's telling herself but COP is all like "you are great and a winner!!!"

She WAS great and IS a deserving winner!

Her score show that she did mistakes, since a clean Mao would never score this low, what you don't seem to understand, is that Mao is a well rounded skater, and figure skating and the scores reflect a lot more then just the jumps, and as a reminder she still landed 5 tripple jumps in the free skate, her getting some as slightly underrotated doesn't change that fact either!

Last edited:

yuki

Final Flight
It's not even really about Julia its about this level of jumping being a part of something that gets the most points and wins an event? This is COP. COP allows loops and salchows to be the only successful jumps as part of winning. She attempted different but they were unsuccessful. And also this is Mao that with this level of jumps won . Mao Asada won an event, no matter who her competition or what they did, with loops and salchows. That's amazing. I can't beleive this is Mao or this is COP.

I don't even want to see Julia either! The exteme level of atriciousness that skate must be to lose must be awful to witness!

GP events have few contestants and someone has to win, even if it's not the most inspiring skate ever :). So it does matter who the competition were and what they did, i.e. how strong/weak the field is. I'm not that happy either with Mao winning with those jumps, but she was lovely otherwise and I can understand why she won, having seen the whole competition.

If you think that someone else should have won this particular competition, I would like to hear your arguments based on the protocols. But I have the feeling that this is not the case and that you just really dislike Mao, in which case I see no point in continuing this discussion.

gmyers

Record Breaker
GP events have few contestants and someone has to win, even if it's not the most inspiring skate ever :). So it does matter who the competition were and what they did, i.e. how strong/weak the field is. I'm not that happy either with Mao winning with those jumps, but she was lovely otherwise and I can understand why she won, having seen the whole competition.

If you think that someone else should have won this particular competition, I would like to hear your arguments based on the protocols. But I have the feeling that this is not the case and that you just really dislike Mao, in which case I see no point in continuing this discussion.

I really like Mao. I liked Bells of Moscow for the drama of the program and the triple axel at worlds and at the Olympics. But not this his Mao that won because of COP. I'm not a fan of this Mao winning. Everyone is saying that Lipniskaia even though she landed more triples and everything was just terrible and the PCS was poor and her jump landings were all bad and the program was all bad and there was nothing good about Lipnitskaia but giving Mao a win? With Loop and salchow? I don't favor anybody. If any competition deserved to have no winner it may have been this one! Maybe Korpi- seems like she was better in PCS and had more well done jumps. But this competition as a fan of Mao and someone who was eagerly anticipating Lipnitsaia's GP debut it was just terrible. Loops and salchows with good PCS winning over horrendous PCS and harder jumps! It's too bad there was a winner.