2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Ladies Long Program

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Reading all the comments one thing is interesting to note. Skating skills holding up the likes of Mao, Korpi is akin to pcs holding up precariously P and B in dance. I don't know why people are so mad about Chan and his pcs at least he truly is superior at pcs.

naan

Rinkside
Reading all the comments one thing is interesting to note. Skating skills holding up the likes of Mao, Korpi is akin to pcs holding up precariously P and B in dance. I don't know why people are so mad about Chan and his pcs at least he truly is superior at pcs.

Skater Boy, I completely agree with you! That's what I was complaining.
I've seen current top skaters live many times, but Patrick has the best SS. His speed, transitions are just wow! I totally understand why he gets huge PCS. Kozuka was the second to me, but huge gap between him and Patrick.
In ladies, Kostner and Yuna are the best. Nobody can match their SS and speed. They have wow factor. But in case of Mao, I don't know.. She has softness and lightness, but lacks speed and power.
Anyway, I think people have double standard towards Patrick chan :(

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight
No one was as bad as Mao on jumps. No one has been as bad as Mao on jumps and won a free skate under cop ever before! 2 triples? This is a new low. Not intended by Mao but whatever this is what cop can mean! The crowd may have loved her but when it comes to the scoring system she did 2 kinds o triples to win an even and a free skate. How can Mao nit win worlds this season and the Olympics? What happens if she actually does more than two kinds of triples- actual real rotated triples.

woooaahh, seriously never seen someone sooo BITTER, and LET ME SAY IT AGAIN MAO LANDED 5 TRIPPLE JUMPS in the free skate, them not all being perfect (according to the caller) doesn't make them disappear, means she still gets credit for them! and those mistakes never interrupted the program, they weren't even noticeable to the naked eye. where as the other skaters mistakes with falls and popped jumps where DISRUPTING the whole program and the flow!

you seriously need to study the scoring system more, sigh, this is not a circus where the one who gets to jump the most during the 6 minutes win! :laugh:

noidont

Final Flight
Don't get the outrage. Mao was the best yesterday. Julia suffered from skating right after Mao. I was in the arena and even Julia's dress looked ridiculous/cheap after Mao skated. Julia's program just wasn't up to the aesthetic level and lightness Mao's was. I thought if she had skated a few people before Mao she probably would have scored a little better.

I thought Zijun's program was better in flow and choreography than Kiira, Mirai and Julia. Really liked that routine. Mirai's program was rather very dull. Zijun seemed lowballed in PCS both is sp and lp.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I think Asada's victory is undeserved, too. Yeah her presentation is really good, but she has only two clean triples (loop and salchow). Her triple flips are underrotated, not only in the free skate, but also in the short. Her lutz gets edge call, even when she doesn't double it. So she has loop, salchow, toeloop and double axel consistantly. She was much better than this. Sorry to say that but level of Asada is regressing. I'm sad to see that but truth is ugly sometimes. Also the unseen mistakes of her with naked eye doesn't mean that she deserved to win. Last year I was angry to judges when they gave Kostner too high components score, but now I regret. She didn't have lutz but at least her jumps were fully rotated and clean which means she deserved high presentation score. She deserved to be a Euros and a Worlds champion for last year. But if Mao skates like this and the judges give titles to her for her well presentation of unseen mistakes and name, for me this is given not earned! Poor Mao, I hope she can correct her mistakes and next time can be the clear winner.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A big Congratulations to Mao!!!! She was IMO the Class of the field!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Totentanz said:
I think Asada's victory is undeserved, too. Yeah her presentation is really good, but she has only two clean triples (loop and salchow). Her triple flips are underrotated, not only in the free skate, but also in the short. Her lutz gets edge call, even when she doesn't double it. So she has loop, salchow, toeloop and double axel consistantly. She was much better than this. Sorry to say that but level of Asada is regressing. I'm sad to see that but truth is ugly sometimes. Also the unseen mistakes of her with naked eye doesn't mean that she deserved to win. Last year I was angry to judges when they gave Kostner too high components score, but now I regret. She didn't have lutz but at least her jumps were fully rotated and clean which means she deserved high presentation score. She deserved to be a Euros and a Worlds champion for last year. But if Mao skates like this and the judges give titles to her for her well presentation of unseen mistakes and name, for me this is given not earned! Poor Mao, I hope she can correct her mistakes and next time can be the clear winner.

So maybe you'll be coming up with an answer making sense, in contrast to gmyers just looking at protocols instead of even watching the programs: who should have won?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So maybe you'll be coming up with an answer making sense, in contrast to gmyers just looking at protocols instead of even watching the programs: who should have won?
Yes, this is the real question: Mao's program wasn't her best, and it was not a high-level program, but it deserved 1st place. That's all.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
I found it strange that no body got full credits on Flips except Julia's at FS. Besides,Mirai's Lz,Mao's first F,Zijun's F as first jump of 3-3 and Julia's Lz were not the quality of URs or DGs.

Last edited:

Mao88

Record Breaker

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist

I understand people and maybe judges about Lipnitskaya. Some of her jumps are tiny, and she skates like a robot. She is not in the level of Asada or Korpi. But Asada shouldn't win just with this technical content. That's right, if we watch with naked eye, she is the winner. Her mistakes are unseen. Except the doubled lutz and the toe in the combination, everything looks great. And in a weak field she may even be a world champion in our naked eyes. But judges aren't evaluating with naked eyes, right? There are lots of UR in the jumps. So that's why her program components should be lower, just my opinion. If I were a judge there, nanananana, I wouldn't give her 64 for the presentation. If she skates clean next time, ok she deserves that, I agree. Anyway, she is not the winner for me, Lipnitskaya is. At least she was very good in the short, has super flexible spins and more rotated jumps. That may not be important for most of people of course :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 181.76 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 177.92 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Kiira KORPI (FIN) - 169.86 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Mirai NAGASU (USA) - 163.46 Free Skate
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 160.06 Free Skate
6. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 135.46 Free Skate
7. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 134.43 Free Skate
8. Ying ZHANG (CHN) - 130.65 Free Skate
9. Sofia BIRYUKOVA (RUS) - 127.36 Free Skate

Congratulations to Mao!!!!! Julia was great too, but Kiira was boring for me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really love watching Kiira because she is drop dead gorgeous but I am not sure if the judges are being fair; they seem to me overmark her. Remember she doesn't do the big triples too. I do think maybe it could be interpreted some of us are too hard on Mao but I honestly think regardless of the argument about her focus on jumps there is a real problem. this was the girl/woman who was suppose to win it all and she isn't that consistent on the jumps she has let alone the ones she doesn't really have ie the lutz or flip. if you don't have that well then you are kind of a Korpi type skater - but fair enough right now you can do that and win ie. Kostner no lutz. I noticed that a lot of the ladies are dummying down their programs (short) and no longer is it automatic the lutz combo and triple flip single jump but rather the loop and some times salchow are used as the single jump.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Underrotations may not be totally obvious immediately but the system in place is designed to catch them so jumps are not cheated and people do not get full marks for triples or any jump they don't really do and that left Mao with three triples but only 2 kinds. She got 64 pcs and great spins and steps and she
Filled all her jump slots so therefore it doesn't matter that she did 2 triples to COP - with kostner the trend is clear no lutz one flip. And Mao didn't do lutz but she had the triple axel but now her coach and everyone knows what can win because of kostner and they are going with that.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yes, this is the real question: Mao's program wasn't her best, and it was not a high-level program, but it deserved 1st place. That's all.

It was all that was needed - two triples but even though it may be all and she won it's pathetic that cop produced a two triple winner. It was first place but terrible.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her mistakes are unseen. Except the doubled lutz and the toe in the combination, everything looks great. And in a weak field she may even be a world champion in our naked eyes. But judges aren't evaluating with naked eyes, right? There are lots of UR in the jumps. So that's why her program components should be lower, just my opinion. If I were a judge there, nanananana, I wouldn't give her 64 for the presentation.

What PCS mark in particular would you lower for mistakes that you are not able to see? She loses points on the jumps that she fails to complete, like everyone else. She had a weak skate in a very weak field (none of the Top 5 Worlds finishers).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wasn't impressed with Lipnitskaia. Her skating is very herky-jerky: she lands her small jumps, but there isn't much flowout from them. She doesn't seem to have any relationship with the music. She does all the choreographic touches that were given to her, but they were often not exactly where they should have been with the music. And there was entirely too much leg-grabbing. Yes, Julia, we know you are very bendy, but feats of flexibility by themselves don't express the character of the music.

Her annoyance in the KnC at not winning the competition can be forgiven because she is only 14 years old. But she should recognize that she is now skating against senior women. Maybe Mao Asada didn't have the technical chops Julia had, but she skated smoothly, lightly and with feeling so that the whole was worth far more than the sum of its parts. Julia's whole was considerably less than Mao's----that's why Mao won.

gmyers

Record Breaker
woooaahh, seriously never seen someone sooo BITTER, and LET ME SAY IT AGAIN MAO LANDED 5 TRIPPLE JUMPS in the free skate, them not all being perfect (according to the caller) doesn't make them disappear, means she still gets credit for them! and those mistakes never interrupted the program, they weren't even noticeable to the naked eye. where as the other skaters mistakes with falls and popped jumps where DISRUPTING the whole program and the flow!

you seriously need to study the scoring system more, sigh, this is not a circus where the one who gets to jump the most during the 6 minutes win! :laugh:

You need to study. She did not do five. She did three. Three triples. Two different kinds. You don't even care about jumps to know the right number. Jumps are irrelevant to you and Mathman who even says skating competitions are about skating totally ignoring the jumping because to you and him jumps are just something to be suffered through.

mariposa

Rinkside
I am so, so, sad and disappointed for Amelie...I don't think she has the mental toughness to do it this year...I hope I'm wrong as I enjoy her skating very much..I did like her short programme very much and though she executed it well. Her long, mistakes aside, was too much arm flaling and seemed as if she was just a tad bit overly dramatic..I wsh her well and hope she can step it up for nationals...you go girl!