2012 Cup of China Mens Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Mens Free Skate

gmyers

Record Breaker
No it is voronov who has medaled at coc before in 2009. It was on my list of things I wanted to see happen. Helped immensely by withdrawals this time.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I will laugh SO HARD if the Japanese men that qualify for the GPF turn out to be Machida, Kozuka and Oda.
It'll be even more entertaining if five Japanese guys qualify, and then it'll be Chan vs. Japan, most likely.

I think you meant Menshov :confused:
I dont think Voronov has medaled before in a GP
I meant Voronov. I think you're confused, go to the results page and click on Voronov's name to get his bio and results.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No it is voronov who has medaled at coc before in 2009. It was on my list of things I wanted to see happen. Helped immensely by withdrawals this time.

Ok, am confused still by Menshov and Voronov

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

then seals it with Gachinski
Gcahinski has now lower score than Voronov, Menshov and Kovtun !

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yeah, it makes me think that we might just have a whole new set of medalists this year. Still, it's early in the season, and Daisuke and Patrick generally falter on jumps at the beginning. Hanyu also needs to build his stamina for the free skate as always. Javier Fernandez and Takahiko Kozuka generally has better jump consistency... hopefully that follows through until Worlds.

To be honest, I'm not that worried about Takahashi, Hanyu or Chan either. They all bombed at least once in the GP last season (Hanyu at CoC, Chan at TEB, Takahashi at SC) before pulling themselves together, and I expect that to happen this year.

But NHK is definitely going to be a bloodbath...in retrospect, the Japanese fed shouldn't have done their trade w/ the French Fed.

It'll be even more entertaining if five Japanese guys qualify, and then it'll be Chan vs. Japan, most likely.

Definitely! Sadly, however, that's unlikely to happen unless Fernandez majorly bombs at NHK. The GPF will more likely be:
Fernandez
Chan
Takahashi
Hanyu
Kozuka
Machida

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sadly, however, that's unlikely to happen unless Fernandez majorly bombs at NHK. The GPF will more likely be:
Fernandez
Chan
Takahashi
Hanyu
Kozuka
Machida
We know from the past that sometimes the events expected to be the best turn out to be rather meh. With that in mind: Oda is a good early season skater, and Chan did not look great last weekend. What if...

CoR:
1. Oda
2. Kozuka
3. Chan

TEB is unimportant for the GPF, though it could prove quite entertaining

then NHK
1. Takahashi
2. Hanyu
3. Fernandez

Can you spot the odd man out in this case? ;)

On a more serious note - according to L'Equipe, Joubert will fly back a day earlier than planned and is going to the hospital for tests once he gets back.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to to Machida! Dai's jumps have gone missing today. Very surprised at the outcome
but the ice is slippery and even tho I am a Dai uber the results were correct.

Congrats to the medal winners!!!!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Machida! Huge upset for this event, and for Takahashi! Looks like four Japanese men into GPF is almost a reality! Nan Song doesn't have much luck, does he?! Carried off at 4CC last year, and withdrew and "faint?" at here? And Joubert? Geez!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congratulations to Machida! Huge upset for this event, and for Takahashi! Looks like four Japanese men into GPF is almost a reality! Nan Song doesn't have much luck, does he?! Carried off at 4CC last year, and withdrew and "faint?" at here? And Joubert? Geez!

2012 TEB GP has no contenders for the GPF and a weak field too

skatinginbc

Medalist
Machida
Score: 153.44, total 236.92 and into 1st
Chan's 243.43 at SC > Machida's 236.92 at CoC. Chan won!!!! (if only he skated here :biggrin:).
Hanyu's 243.74 at SA > Machida's 236.92. Hanyu won!!!
That tells you how weak this event was.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Why the heck would the Japanese fed want Hanyu and Dai to face each other in the Grand Prix? Not to mention I thought that Hanyu and Dai weren't suppose to face each other so both were in the top group...That's called the Japanese Fed screwing over their own skaters.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Buttercup said:
We know from the past that sometimes the events expected to be the best turn out to be rather meh. With that in mind: Oda is a good early season skater, and Chan did not look great last weekend. What if...

CoR:
1. Oda
2. Kozuka
3. Chan

TEB is unimportant for the GPF, though it could prove quite entertaining

then NHK
1. Takahashi
2. Hanyu
3. Fernandez

It's true that the GPF field is still pretty open. But I don't think Oda's chances at CoR are that good - he got pretty low-balled on the PCS at SC and didn't beat a sub-par Chan there, despite being nearly clean. I'd actually expect 1. Kozuka 2. Chan 3. Oda now, but we'll have to wait and see. TEB looks quite lame compared to CoR and NHK.
And I do hope the JSF is realizing they might have shot their own foot by having Hanyu and Takahashi at NHK. I'd still say they're both going to make it, but you never know.

bekalc said:
Why the heck would the Japanese fed want Hanyu and Dai to face each other in the Grand Prix? Not to mention I thought that Hanyu and Dai weren't suppose to face each other so both were in the top group...That's called the Japanese Fed screwing over their own skaters.

Probably they just assumed both would win theirf first assigments - which looked likely, but it was stupid to bet on it knowing both of them 'like' to bomb early in the season.

Last edited:

Nena

Rinkside
1st and 4th beats 2nd and 3rd, right? So Florent could still make the final if he wins TEB. Also, you guys are forgetting about Dornbush. I doubt he'll make the final but he could block others from making the final. Like if he gets bronze and NHK and knocks Daisuke off the podium.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
What an unpredictable season for the reigning world medalists.

Chan losing Skate Canada, Hanyu losing Skate America, Takahashi losing Cup of China....oof.

It is unpredictable, so very unpredictable. That's partially what makes it (in my opinion) so very exciting! Especially because all of these men are brilliant skaters. (Takahashi is still the best performer by far, although his programs this year aren't as amazing as last year's...)

I know people have already commented on it, but Japanese Nationals is going to be amazing and heartbreaking all at once!

rocketry

Rinkside
Yuzuru was assigned NHK Trophy so he could skate in his hometown, Sendai for the first time since the quake and Daisuke received the home pick as the highest finisher at Worlds. It's not the best for their GPF chances, but I understand why it was done.

Despite their 4th place finishes, if either Jeremy or Florent win TEB, then they will have 24 points and will win the tiebreak if Daisuke/Yuzuru/Patrick finish 3rd. With Javier at NHK and the TEB field looking a bit thin, it certainly could happen, so I'm not counting out TEB just yet.

naan

Rinkside
Wow, what an unexpected results! :eek:
Haven't seen any videos, but it seems that Dai had poor skate :(

Is Nan Song OK now? I'm so worried about him :cry:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Despite their 4th place finishes, if either Jeremy or Florent win TEB, then they will have 24 points and will win the tiebreak if Daisuke/Yuzuru/Patrick finish 3rd. With Javier at NHK and the TEB field looking a bit thin, it certainly could happen, so I'm not counting out TEB just yet.

Jeremy finished 5th at SA

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It's true that the GPF field is still pretty open. But I don't think Oda's chances at CoR are that good - he got pretty low-balled on the PCS at SC and didn't beat a sub-par Chan there, despite being nearly clean.
I think that result owed directly to the location of the event (and Oda's status as the Japanese number 4, or 5, or whatever he is these days). With no Russian in the mix next week, the CoR results could prove quite interesting indeed.

What if Johnny Weir wins bronze at CoR and gold at TEB?
Then pigs will fly over Sochi during the GPF.

For some reason I was sure Florent finished 5th, I guess because he was 5th in both segments last weekend. In that case, TEB might still have GPF implications. And even if doesn't have the strongest field, it does have an interesting one. And there have been plenty of times when events with seemingly strong fields have disappointed.

The TEB field currently has the two WDs from CoC, both of whom might not be well enough to compete in two weeks' time. That could certainly have an effect on the outcome there.