2012 Cup of China Mens Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2012 Cup of China Mens Free Skate

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Adam bumps into head on and he doesn't even bother to help Song stand up or stick around to make sure he is ok. That's very rude. Are there rules that skaters cannot touch each other or something????

Adam tried to help Nan up but Nan waved him off because he couldn't get up. I think Adam came around twice. But the situation was serious so medical help was needed and provided.

It was an accident, which is actually not uncommon.

gmyers

Record Breaker
In crashes I've seen before its very normal for the skaters not to hang around if one is on the ground. And also for others on the the ice not to go near them!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Adam bumps into head on and he doesn't even bother to help Song stand up or stick around to make sure he is ok. That's very rude. Are there rules that skaters cannot touch each other or something????
As SF noted, Adam did try to help but considering the seriousness of the situation, there was nothing he could do. I hope whatever injuries Song sustained won't prove too serious. It was just bad luck and I'd hate for him to suffer long-term effects from it.

And did Brian Joubert bail the FP again?
I addressed this in a previous post - reportedly he has a fever and abdominal pain and has been sick for several days; I guess he tried to push through it but it didn't work, and there was no point in trying to skate an LP in that condition. He's supposed to fly back to France a day early so he can get some tests done.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Great skate from Voronov, I enjoyed it!

You know something is wrong in Cup of China men's field when an obscure skater like Voronov gets a medal
who has never podium at a GP before nor is a decent skater , lol

:eek:hwell:

Voronov was very workmanlike and overachieved here. Yep he completed all the jumps checking them off just as the announcer did too during his performance. Nice music but did Voronov express it well? I don't think so. He's an accomplished if a bit ragged jumper with none of the charisma that Plush possesses. I heard that if you are a Russian skater, you necessarily take ballet, but just looking at Voronov I couldn't tell he'd been anywhere near a ballet barre. He does not have great flexibility or aesthetically pleasing lines, and he lacks grace and smooth flow over the ice.

In this comp, Dai was a shadow of himself. Pre-season I enjoyed Dai's performances of his fp, but I was very disappointed here by both of Dai's programs.

As far as Machida, I was bored to tears by his fp. ITA with the poster who feels that Machida is a bit stiff. He manages to disguise that quality fairly well in his sp, but he does not have good lines or smooth flow over the ice, and his moves in the field and entrances into jumps tend to be stiff and jerky. Machida does have kinetic energy (connection with the audience), good jumps and great music in his sp, but winning the gold medal with that fp performance. :jaw:

Totally a missed opportunity for Adam, and I'm really sorry about his collision with Nan Song in the warm-up. Hope they both recover and go on to have great seasons. I'd have loved to see a podium with Dai, Adam, and Nan Song at CoC. Enuf of Machida already.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Adam tried to help Nan up but Nan waved him off because he couldn't get up. I think Adam came around twice. But the situation was serious so medical help was needed and provided.

It was an accident, which is actually not uncommon.

In crashes I've seen before its very normal for the skaters not to hang around if one is on the ground. And also for others on the the ice not to go near them!

ITA re those who have responded to wonderlen's comments about Adam. Look closely at the video of the collision. Even as they fell Adam was holding onto Nan both protectively and also preventively to avoid Nan and himself being hurt in the fall. Nan was hurt before the fall when their heads unavoidably bumped together. Actually, I think Adam's forehead hit into Nan's jaw. You can see the impact in the slo-motion video which shows both of their heads jerking back violently after the impact. At least by Adam holding onto Nan and trying to break their fall, Nan's head did not impact the ice which would likely have been a serious disaster. As it is, by Adam placing one hand on the ice to further break the fall, he could easily have broken his own wrist. Fortunately, he didn't.

Adam immediately jumped up and held onto Nan's hand and tried to assist him onto his feet, but Nan clearly held up his hand and shook Adam off, as he held his face with his other hand. It's quite clear that Nan was woozy and in pain. If he hadn't been badly hurt, he would likely have allowed Adam to help him up, or got up by himself. Adam came around again to check on Nan I saw in a longer video clip, prior to attendants realizing Nan was seriously hurt and going on to the ice to assist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_DSs3B3dhA

I thought it looks like Adam who came around again, and also another skater, possibly Voronov.

Actually, no, I see it was Voronov who skated by to check with Nan just before attendants came onto the ice, and then Voronov and Adam both skated nearby with concern, as the attendants helped Nan off the ice. Obviously, Adam knew that Nan had immediately waved him off in any case when he immediately tried to assist Nan to his feet. Yes, it's an unfortunate accident, hopefully with no serious consequences.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I havent seen the videos or read anything but saw the results and I m like :jaw: x10!
Machilda, Daisuke, Voronov?

lea

Rinkside
from FSOnline.ru: Song: a broken tooth and perhaps a concussion. Rippon has pains in his jaw.

It's scary.

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ Woah! Thanks for the info, Leah. Then they must have both slammed the sides of their faces together. Amazing that the impact did not fell both of them. Hope this won't adversely affect either of their seasons.

What a strange comp this!

Please no more accidents on or off ice.

ETA:

And please, why such high scores for Machida and Dai for subpar performances??? What exactly do the judges see in Machida that rates such high scores? Are they mesmerized by his sp music and are they in love with Firebird no matter who performs it or how they perform it?

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
Machida program program capture exactly how I feel when watching firdbird ballet perfectly, Philipp Mills is a genius!

I always use to think Machida arm and body movement is a bit over the top but wow this program is just suit his style and expression perfectly!

Mills is just so smart!

Nan is so bad luck: last year 4c then this cop of china.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sad about Adam and Nan but accidents do happen. I won't speculate without knowing more about Adam's reputation for warm ups - people may be focussing on this incident and a crash with Chan a couple of years ago at SC. ice is slippery folks. I still think Tak will be fine; I think Chan is the one who will be out. However, I do wonder if Javier will be consistent enough to do well at the GPF and world's. He doesn't have the best reputation for that. So many awesome Japanese me it will be tough to make their national team. They should move to Belgium or Canada - I hear they are looking for decent skaters:)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Hope he is joking: on Nan Song's Twitter, he just posted "I cannot remember anything! What happened to me?"

Art&Sport

Medalist
Hope he is joking: on Nan Song's Twitter, he just posted "I cannot remember anything! What happened to me?"

It is not uncommon for individuals with head injuries to be unable to recall what occurred before during and immediately after an accident.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
What an unpredictable season for the reigning world medalists.

Chan losing Skate Canada, Hanyu losing Skate America, Takahashi losing Cup of China....oof.

Well, so far but there's plenty of season to go yet. Besides, it's often harder to be the hunted rather than the hunter and these men are at the top of a very deep field. PC's program better than DT's though. Thought DT's music was wrong for him.

Niki2012

Rinkside
Machida skated well and deserved a win. Takahashi was not in usual form and even lost speed toward the end of program.
He performed well at JO and got high score, but changed the program quite bit this time. I hope it is not a bad influence from Morozov.

NHK will be a death-match. Both Takahashi and Hanyu need to win or be 2nd at least to go to GPF. Usually, a skater who finished highest position among Japanese at previous World gets assigned to NHK, and 2nd highest skater is assigned to other GPS, but Hanyu is pushed in this time to NHK as it is held at Sendai where earthquake hit hard last year. Hanyu now lives in Canada with his mom. Who cares if he grew up there? This bad decision by JFS may result in worst case that either one of them cannot go to a final. As the way JFS and garbage media are pushing Hanyu, I guess this unfortunate one can be Takahashi. He needs to get back his quad and performs perfectly to win against Judge`s favorite Hanyu.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What an unpredictable season for the reigning world medalists.

Chan losing Skate Canada, Hanyu losing Skate America, Takahashi losing Cup of China....oof.

I did predict all three, though I predicted Joubert to win CoC (pats self on back).

Yeah, I'm taking Macassar's game way too seriously.