Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Cup of China Mens Free Skate

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    I will laugh SO HARD if the Japanese men that qualify for the GPF turn out to be Machida, Kozuka and Oda.
    So in 2010-2011, we have a trending Oda, a soaring Takahiko, a faltering Takahashi, and an inconsistent Hanyu. In 2011-2012, we have an injured Oda, a slumping Takahiko, a rejuvenated Takahashi, and a prodigal Hanyu. What wacky antics will we see the Japanese men perform at the rest of the Grand Prix series and the Japanese nationals this season?

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Why the heck would the Japanese fed want Hanyu and Dai to face each other in the Grand Prix? Not to mention I thought that Hanyu and Dai weren't suppose to face each other so both were in the top group...That's called the Japanese Fed screwing over their own skaters.
    I imagine they gambled that Hanyu and Takahashi would win their other GP assignment and split the Gold/Silver at NHK. The short term gain is that Daisuke and Yuzuru would draw a large crowd at home. Daisuke is the best performing Japanese man last season with a large following and Yuzuru is the hometown boy at Sendai. Not even the Russian fed was that daring with Yagudin and Plushenko.

We should look out for any crazy podium placements for the next few GP events, especially NHK. They will have a huge impact on rankings and tiebreakers.

Rinkside
    It is said Song lost one tooth and had a concussion. But actually there are different rumors now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Figuring View Post
    It is said Song lost one tooth and had a concussion. But actually there are different rumors now.
    Too bad.

Custom Title
    Video of Adam Rippon and Nan Song collision

Oh, my! Never thought Adam was this strong and "manly".
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-03-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Video of Adam Rippon and Nan Song collision

Oh, my! Never thought Adam was this strong and "manly".
    Don't encourage him.

Custom Title
    Looked like they bumped each other on the head. But Adam was fine.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Custom Title
    Adam was the one with the speed. But other factors determined who and what would be injured.

eta. Adam jumped and landed on Patrick at their SC collision two years ago. Looking at how Takahashi was hurt at the GPF when Kozuka landed on him, I'm so glad Patrick wasn't injured. These collisions can be dangerous. There are speed, blades, force of landing a jump, and hard ice. Poor Nan. I hope he is OK but still he missed his chances to skate and maybe podium at his home country, and building up his points and career with ISU.

etaa: Upon closer watching, I see Nan was knocked off his feet and up in the air a bit before coming down. It was quite a force and/or he was injured at the moment of collision and lost control of his body immediately.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 11-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Custom Title
    I got a feeling Dai will be out of GPF. Its Japanese federation owns fault for puting both Dai and Hanyu in same event. They did their own grave. If either one of them at TEB, it should be any easy event.

Now with NHK, Gold and Silver will prob be between Hanyu and Fernandez, which will qualify them for final. Dai is the weakest in terms of jumps content among these three, unless Fernandez bombs and got into 3rd place. After COR, Chan and Kazuko will be in. So that will remain only one spot, between Oda and Dai, assuming Abott win TEB. If Amadio wins TEB, he will take the last spot. Oh my.....

Custom Title
    Adam bumps into head on and he doesn't even bother to help Song stand up or stick around to make sure he is ok. That's very rude. Are there rules that skaters cannot touch each other or something????

Tripping on the Podium
    Surprising ending to this competition...crazy deep field in Japanese men, too bad there's only 3 spots.

And did Brian Joubert bail the FP again?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Adam bumps into head on and he doesn't even bother to help Song stand up or stick around to make sure he is ok. That's very rude. Are there rules that skaters cannot touch each other or something????
    Adam tried to help Nan up but Nan waved him off because he couldn't get up. I think Adam came around twice. But the situation was serious so medical help was needed and provided.

It was an accident, which is actually not uncommon.

Custom Title
    In crashes I've seen before its very normal for the skaters not to hang around if one is on the ground. And also for others on the the ice not to go near them!

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    As SF noted, Adam did try to help but considering the seriousness of the situation, there was nothing he could do. I hope whatever injuries Song sustained won't prove too serious. It was just bad luck and I'd hate for him to suffer long-term effects from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sapphiresky View Post
    And did Brian Joubert bail the FP again?
    I addressed this in a previous post - reportedly he has a fever and abdominal pain and has been sick for several days; I guess he tried to push through it but it didn't work, and there was no point in trying to skate an LP in that condition. He's supposed to fly back to France a day early so he can get some tests done.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Great skate from Voronov, I enjoyed it!
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    You know something is wrong in Cup of China men's field when an obscure skater like Voronov gets a medal
    who has never podium at a GP before nor is a decent skater , lol

Voronov was very workmanlike and overachieved here. Yep he completed all the jumps checking them off just as the announcer did too during his performance. Nice music but did Voronov express it well? I don't think so. He's an accomplished if a bit ragged jumper with none of the charisma that Plush possesses. I heard that if you are a Russian skater, you necessarily take ballet, but just looking at Voronov I couldn't tell he'd been anywhere near a ballet barre. He does not have great flexibility or aesthetically pleasing lines, and he lacks grace and smooth flow over the ice.

In this comp, Dai was a shadow of himself. Pre-season I enjoyed Dai's performances of his fp, but I was very disappointed here by both of Dai's programs.

As far as Machida, I was bored to tears by his fp. ITA with the poster who feels that Machida is a bit stiff. He manages to disguise that quality fairly well in his sp, but he does not have good lines or smooth flow over the ice, and his moves in the field and entrances into jumps tend to be stiff and jerky. Machida does have kinetic energy (connection with the audience), good jumps and great music in his sp, but winning the gold medal with that fp performance.

Totally a missed opportunity for Adam, and I'm really sorry about his collision with Nan Song in the warm-up. Hope they both recover and go on to have great seasons. I'd have loved to see a podium with Dai, Adam, and Nan Song at CoC. Enuf of Machida already.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I think Adam came around twice.
    No, the second time the one who came and offered help was Sergei Voronov. Look at his costume:

Sergei Voronov's LP

Any way, there was nothing Adam could do.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 11-03-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast