Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

CarneAsada

Medalist
Random question now that I'm reminded of it: Other than Mao why does no one put their triple-triple later in the SP, or for that matter in the FS.
No one wants to put their 3-3 later in the SP because if they miss the combination, they're done. No second chance at the combo. Which is why when Mao doubled her 3Lo and didn't do a combination, she ended up 16th. I'm sure Julia can do it, but it's much safer to just put the 3-3 at the beginning.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
At the beginning of the season, I was put off by her heart drawings in the short program. Now it is my guilty pleasure, and learning the story line just added to the fun. At the end, I imagine she is gathering her abandoned dreams and flinging them at the haters. Eat my dead dreams, hater!

Good luck, Yulia! I hope she continues to have a wonderful career.

I remember that watching for the first time at SC I didn't completely like it. It was similar to when I first saw her skate, a couple months after 2012 Worlds. I saw the candle spin, and, being used to Sasha's range of flexibility it looked unnatural/forced for the first couple of times, but by the third time I just though wow. The second(third?) time I watched You Don't Give Up on Love, I was reminded of a spiritual skit we did called "Heart" Skit. The communication of an idea to the audience was achieved not through words but by dramatic actions including drawing of a heart with fingers in the air, as well as throwing it upwards, catching it, showing that it was beating, giving it away, allowing it to be dropped/stomped on and ripped to pieces, and also picking up the pieces and then the heart being healed at various times. All of this made me appreciate her skate more, and it suits her age perfectly. A more child-like view of how you don't give up on love.

I really think her ability to draw you in, to focus on what she's thinking/feeling, helps her skating to mesmerize.

CarneAsada: Right, of course there's a great reason. I guess I just wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
At the beginning of the season, I was put off by her heart drawings in the short program. Now it is my guilty pleasure, and learning the story line just added to the fun. At the end, I imagine she is gathering her abandoned dreams and flinging them at the haters. Eat my dead dreams, hater!

I remember that watching for the first time at SC I didn't completely like it. It was similar to when I first saw her skate, a couple months after 2012 Worlds. I saw the candle spin, and, being used to Sasha's range of flexibility it looked unnatural/forced for the first couple of times, but by the third time I just though wow. The second(third?) time I watched You Don't Give Up on Love, I was reminded of a spiritual skit we did called "Heart" Skit. The communication of an idea to the audience was achieved not through words but by dramatic actions including drawing of a heart with fingers in the air, as well as throwing it upwards, catching it, showing that it was beating, giving it away, allowing it to be dropped/stomped on and ripped to pieces, and also picking up the pieces and then the heart being healed at various times. All of this made me appreciate her skate more, and it suits her age perfectly. A more child-like view of how you don't give up on love.

I really think her ability to draw you in, to focus on what she's thinking/feeling, helps her skating to mesmerize.

CarneAsada: Right, of course there's a great reason. I guess I just wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

anyanka

Record Breaker

If the pendulum in ladies skating has swung from Japan to Russia, then I think we're in for a great four years of figure skating watching Adelina v. Yulia fight it out at home and on the world stage. Should they raise the bar both athletically and artistically, then we all win.

But yes, I think Yulia is out for Adelina's blood right now. If not quite to that degree, she would be eager to say, like that old show tune, "HEY! LOOK ME OVER!!!"

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yulia is one of the brightest shooting stars I have ever seen in sports. But I worry about how tiny and fragile she is and hope she can last for a long career. I am also surprised that she and Adelina are good friends as competitive as they are with each other. Good to know. So many pics of them hanging out together. But I bet seeing Adelina win gold in Sochi in the individual stung her at first then I bet she appreciated what Adelina did and was happy for her. But after the team event I am sure Yulia thought it would be her taking the gold and not Adelina.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I love this girl's SP and FS equally, classic choice. The only problem is, will she score as much as in Sochi when she compete in Japan?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I love this girl's SP and FS equally, classic choice. The only problem is, will she score as much as in Sochi when she compete in Japan?
Probably not. Both she and Adelina will be critically scored in Japan if they both skate there. Mao will get the home crowd cheers and home crowd scores though. ;) Unless se falls of course then all bets are off.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia doing an interview for Moscow-24. It shows her workout routines,conversations and very little skating. You can tell she's a sweet kid but you can see her tough side is always present.

http://www.m24.ru/videos/44074

I don't think it's a mobile only link but if so let me know and I'll log into my computer with my VK account and update this post later.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia was in an ice show yesterday with Ilya Averbukh. Here is a link to a page that has pictures. I'm trying to find video. http://www.livekuban.ru/node/543096

Here is the translation of the stories text:

In Krasnodar yesterday, March 8, took the ice show Ilya Averbuch. Also went on the ice in Sochi Olympic champion Julia Lipnitskaya.

Program show consisted of two sections. The first showed the audience the new rooms and programs.

The second part, called "Love Story" - a more artistic and theatrical, in her single storyline.

Alba

Record Breaker
Julia Lipnitskaya interview in Russian: http://www.m24.ru/videos/44074

Julia says that there is a lot of attention, people recognize her and go "Aww!" wherever she goes, that she got over 300,000 followers after the Olympics. She runs for 45 minutes after ice practice, and listens to Eminem.

The interviewer says something similar: "if you don't understand the words, how do you know, maybe he's saying something bad to you as you listen?"
Julia answers: well, I usually sing along, so I say that right back to him. :laugh:

She likes the film The Intouchables (The french movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/) and jokes that maybe she will use the music for her next program.
Says she could do splits for as long as she can remember, was predicted to have problems with flexibility by the age 14, but still can do everything she used to do before. Says her next goal is the World championships, but they are taught not to think too far ahead.

p.s. translation from FSU forum

Alba

Record Breaker
Yulia was in an ice show yesterday with Ilya Averbukh. Here is a link to a page that has pictures. I'm trying to find video. http://www.livekuban.ru/node/543096

Here is the translation of the stories text:

In Krasnodar yesterday, March 8, took the ice show Ilya Averbuch. Also went on the ice in Sochi Olympic champion Julia Lipnitskaya.

Program show consisted of two sections. The first showed the audience the new rooms and programs.

The second part, called "Love Story" - a more artistic and theatrical, in her single storyline.

I think is this one, but here is the SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNuc28GjWQE

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
confirmed this is a real instagram account of Julia
she seems to post just a recent photos of professionally done ones
Well I thought I'd share some decidedly UN-professionally done photos, that I took of Julia at Finlandia Trophy at the start of the season :-D