Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 152 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

Alba

Record Breaker
:love:

Having seen this better performance, I think R&J is a good program. The music is heartrendingly beautiful... strange, I didn't get that sense from Yuzuru's LP last season (and I'm a fan of his). Something about the arrangement... or just something about Yulia.

Did they had the same music? I can't remember now.
I have to see his program again because you might be right about the arrangement.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight

anyanka

Record Breaker
I have to see his program again because you might be right about the arrangement.

Your report from TEB are pretty awesome. You should do a summary like someone else did for Nebelhorn! (And was there one for SKAM too?)

Meoima

Match Penalty
They have the same tender theme (maybe the music indicates love scene). But the rest is different. Yuzuru's version is overall darker and more dramatic.
I really like Yulia's version, very suitable for her. Tender and calm.

Alba

Record Breaker
Your report from TEB are pretty awesome. You should do a summary like someone else did for Nebelhorn! (And was there one for SKAM too?)

Nah, I dared to give an impression I had about Sui&Han - which by the way I thought they were great - and someone got very angry about it. :slink::biggrin:

Elena was great and physically in top form. One thing I also notices is that her blue costume is much much better live than in TV, because you don't get to see the upper body part so detailed. All you can see is the glittering and it's a nice effect.

Yuzuru's version is overall darker and more dramatic.

Yes. That's what I remember about it.

I agree. It suits her perfectly.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nah, I dared to give an impression I had about Sui&Han - which by the way I thought they were great - and someone got very angry about it. :slink::biggrin:
Well, some people should have been in the arena instead to see what the judges see.

Yes. That's what I remember about it.
They have this same melody: http://youtu.be/C86jyXkNxtU

I agree. It suits her perfectly.
It would be weird if Yuliet skated to a dark version. :)

sjid

Final Flight
Yulia's program uses music taken from R&J, and also uses complementary music in the middle section by Yann Tiersen (Mother's Journey, many thanks for that info, Sam). She (and I assume Ilya had a major hand in this) appropriates the music for a program that has nothing much to do with R&J. The title comes from Rota's compostion, but her program is more like a meditation on the experience of first love. We have the awakening, then tenderness (Rota), then a mystical spiritual experience (Yann T), then a full statement of emotion (back to Rota). Sam do you know where those first two phrases come from, where she covers her face and then lifts arms and head (this is the awakening)? There is a second awakening gesture just before the Yann T footwork section., following the spin. I mention this because this spin-awakening gesture sequence is nearly identical to Schindlers List just before the footwork section where she stopped up against the wall. This is all classic Yulia. I expect the footwork section to rival SL. The important thing to keep in mind is that her program doesn't really have much to do with the Shakespeare tragedy, it is philosophical-psychological, a meditation on first love.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Well, some people should have been in the arena instead to see what the judges see.
It was just my impression. It doesn't mean that the judges saw what I saw but still, I was just giving a suggestion which could be true or not.
Anyway, who cares. :biggrin:

It would be weird if Yuliet skated to a dark version

True. Besides she and Ilya explained that she isn't portraying Juliet dying, or anything like that.
The idea is that she is playing in a theater. Hence the covering of her face and lifts arms gesture, which represent the curtain.

By the way, The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra in that record is really good. :clap:

Last edited:

sjid

Final Flight
Alba;102974 Hence the covering of her face and lifts arms gesture said:
Agree, but I see that lifting curtain as uncovering her heart. Good art has many interpretations, all valid.

Alba

Record Breaker
Agree, but I see that lifting curtain as uncovering her heart. Good art has many interpretations, all valid.

Absolutely. I was just saying that her program is not about Juliet dying and all the drama, or being Juliet. It's a theater within a theater.
I don't know if I'm making sense and giving the idea. :biggrin:

The most absurd criticism I read about her is: She doesn't look like an italian in her interpretation. :rolleye:

Juliet is not about being italian. It could've been very well placed in England, Spain etc.
It's a universal theme. That's why people from all around worlds keep sending letters to her about love, even today in 2014. :laugh2:

Last edited:

sjid

Final Flight
Absolutely. I was just saying that her program is not about Juliet dying and all the drama, or being Juliet. It's a theater within a theater.

The most absurd criticism I read about her is: She doesn't look like an italian in her interpretation. :rolleye:

Juliet is not about being italian. It could've been very well placed in England, Spain etc.
It's a universal theme. That's why people from all around worlds keep sending letters to her about love, even today in 2014. :laugh2:

That's an interesting way of putting it, it's the theater within the theater, or the play within the play. The danger of giving it the title R&J is that people will look for Shakepeare, and we both know that if they look hard and long enough they will find. It never occurred to me that they would criticize her for something that has nothing to do with her program, but that has to happen because they are not tuned in to Yulia's message. It does get bad when they criticize her for being something she is not! Yulia is telling us how she feels about love, that's why it means so much to her that we listen carefully to all she says. This takes a lot of courage, few of us would tell the world about our deepest feelings. She expands on a small part of Juliet's experience to tell us about what she believes. Yulia's theater within Shakespeare's theater. Very nice.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
That's an interesting way of putting it, it's the theater within the theater, or the play within the play. The danger of giving it the title R&J is that people will look for Shakepeare, and we both know that if they look hard and long enough they will find.

Exactly. A play within a play. :agree:
Yes I know that the title could be a "danger". But seriously though, I never thought people could be so literally about that since it's obviously that the concept behind it's not Shakepeare transcription.
They have took the love theme from there and doing her own.

It never occurred to me that they would criticize her for something that has nothing to do with her program, but that has to happen because they are not tuned in to Yulia's message. It does get bad when they criticize her for being something she is not!

The thing is you don't even need to be tuned in Yulia's message to understand that much.
I remember when I saw the first time Romeo&Giulietta with Carla Fracci and Nureyev. Well, she is italian but I never thought that I was looking an italian. I thought I was looking Giulietta, which could've very well been named Elisabeth also.
What does it mean "being italian" anyway? Hand gesture, being cheesy, corny and all that stereotype? :sarcasm: :confused: :rolleye:

Desdemona and Juliet is not about that. Not even the The Taming of the Shrew, which some might see it more close to an italian temperament. But the story of a headstrong and fiery woman tamed by a man was a universal and well known one at the time, and found in numerous traditions.
I guess those who makes such ridiculous observation never read those plays. So I don't even know why I bother. :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
They have the same tender theme (maybe the music indicates love scene). But the rest is different. Yuzuru's version is overall darker and more dramatic.
My impression of Yuzuru's version was that it showcased the elements. More of a "Here's what I can do!" skate (nothing wrong with that, of course. Lots of those I like). Whereas with Yulia's, it's tender and calm, like you said. With an undercurrent of melancholy--in part because of the arrangement, in part because of how Yulia skated it.

Btw, all this applies to Yuzuru's R&J 2. R&J 1 was a more emotional skate.

Alba

Record Breaker
My impression of Yuzuru's version was that it showcased the elements. More of a "Here's what I can do!" skate (nothing wrong with that, of course. Lots of those I like). Whereas with Yulia's, it's tender and calm, like you said. With an undercurrent of melancholy--in part because of the arrangement, in part because of how Yulia skated it.

His R&J 1 was a masterpiece. I just love that program and he gave it all in that interpretation.

sjid

Final Flight
Several pages ago Sam asked if there have been programs in which skaters represent themselves. Megapolis was the only example at the time, and now we can add R&J. Sam also wrote recently "TBH I think her artistry and presence have grown immensely in my eyes since last season. There is something different about her and it's stirring up emotions I don't think she has known before." I believe much of the "something different about her" is the intense introspective-psychological quality in both the skating and music. I experience Megapolis and R&J as more than emotional (SL was emotional). Each program has a specific message, a personal meaning. She is drawing us into her world. As she herself said, "I will try to show what I feel." Can you imagine anyone else saying that?
As for the title of R&J, something along the line of Juliet in Love would be much more focused and provide a clue about what she is telling us.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Somehow this makes me feel okay with all the same music choices over the years by so many skaters. They might even choose the same version but it will depends on each skater we see a different view, different interpretations and characters since each has different way to connect to the music and choreography and audience.
For example it's still Juliet but Yulia's 1st Yuliet and Romeo program was less sublime than her new one.

thoakun

Final Flight

I literally rolled my eyes from reading that comment. Does Michelle have to look like an Arabian princess to skate to Scheherazade or does So Youn have any female skater have to look like a Vietnamese girl to skate to Miss Saigon? I'll be okay if people can articulate how Julia failed to convey the theme of the program but I can't help feeling that they can only get meaningful interpretations from their favorites' performances and look for a way to criticize Julia for what she doesn't even try to be. Honest, I was unsure of Julia's artistry last season but I think her artistry and presence have improved immensely in quality this season that I'm really drawn into her world and I could connect to her serene meditation on the experience of first love. I had the same feeling watching Baker/Hawayek's free dance. As soon as they did the very first glide on the ice, I was concinved that they are Romeo and Juliet.

Last edited: