Yulia Lipnitskaya | Page 102 | Golden Skate

Yulia Lipnitskaya

papa

Match Penalty
I like reading youtube comments about Yulia, getting to know what ppl think about her.
Found another intriguing one:

"She is so young, but she seems to have an old soul; captivating to watch."

Not exactly flattering, but interesting and true to some point.

sjid

Final Flight
Isn't she potraying a girl fighting to keep her dream (kite) alive?
The last angel in the city of angst? :)

Emotions: struggling, grappling, strength and determination - yes, makeup - not necessarily.

Papa, I'm with you on the makeup taboo. DO NOT change anything about the face. That was one of my lame jokes. The idea was, now that her storm-and-stress skating is so dramatic, nothing left but the makeup artist. Sorry, papa.

sjid

Final Flight
I like reading youtube comments about Yulia, getting to know what ppl think about her.
Found another intriguing one:

"She is so young, but she seems to have an old soul; captivating to watch."

Not exactly flattering, but interesting and true to some point.

Ashley Wagner said Yulia was like a 40-year-old woman trapped in a 15-year-old body, an interview at about the time of Sochi and clearly meant to be flattering. References to her as a child are not fair or smart. She has as much maturity and judgment as any adult, almost as if she was born with it. If nothing else, give her a little credit for what she did when she was 10. Frank Carroll and his ilk should bite their tongues, preferably bite them off.

This thread has got to be the warmest, most affectionate place anywhere. She brings out a rare tenderness in most people.

papa

Match Penalty
sjid said:
She brings out a rare tenderness in most people.
Sometimes I get the notion she is the last angel in a world of angst.
I always say, watching Yulia skating is my little personal katharsis.
She reminds me of all the goodness, gentleness and innocence I once had, but have buried deep inside for whatever reason. :rolleye:

starlight97

Final Flight
Yes, but I have no idea what's she saying.

They say:
GUY: " And that is the new little star of Russia !"
KATARINA: "Well she was ou little BIG star all along and still is"
GUY: "It was a bit disappointing in the singles competition, she sadly fell in both, short and long program, but she goes home with a medal anyway- remember her 'famous' skate in the Team Event! Helped the team to win Gold on Plushenko's side, who sadly announced that a screw in his back broke and we wish him well-being and will enjoy Lipnitskaya's skate now"
KATARINA: *laughs* "For the third time now! (Yulia jumping a 3T) this has to be everybody's favorite for an exhibition, it's save, but beautifully executed by her"
KATARINA: *Yulia doing her spin* " Wow still unbelievable flexibility, the spins are really without peer(she's untouchable in that area)!"
GUY: " Yulia Lipnitskaya! Katarina we will hear a lot of her in the future! Such a successful year, Euro Champion, the youngest in history, team gold here and there are the WC in a few weeks!
Being only 15 she might do 2 more Olympics, she will go her way, I'm sure of that."
BOTH: "Chose a very adult theme here (Je t'aime) and we all swooned about how mature she skated Schindler's List, but she has her better and best years still ahead of her!! She's a 15 year old with a lot of charisma now and... She'll grow!."

Swoon is the right word, Katarina was totally in love with her at the Team Event! But who isn't :)

Alba

Record Breaker
They say:
GUY: " And that is the new little star of Russia !"
KATARINA: "Well she was ou little BIG star all along and still is"
GUY: "It was a bit disappointing in the singles competition, she sadly fell in both, short and long program, but she goes home with a medal anyway- remember her 'famous' skate in the Team Event! Helped the team to win Gold on Plushenko's side, who sadly announced that a screw in his back broke and we wish him well-being and will enjoy Lipnitskaya's skate now"
KATARINA: *laughs* "For the third time now! (Yulia jumping a 3T) this has to be everybody's favorite for an exhibition, it's save, but beautifully executed by her"
KATARINA: *Yulia doing her spin* " Wow still unbelievable flexibility, the spins are really without peer(she's untouchable in that area)!"
GUY: " Yulia Lipnitskaya! Katarina we will hear a lot of her in the future! Such a successful year, Euro Champion, the youngest in history, team gold here and there are the WC in a few weeks!
Being only 15 she might do 2 more Olympics, she will go her way, I'm sure of that."
BOTH: "Chose a very adult theme here (Je t'aime) and we all swooned about how mature she skated Schindler's List, but she has her better and best years still ahead of her!! She's a 15 year old with a lot of charisma now and... She'll grow!."

Thank you very much starlight. :yes:

What did she mean by: this has to be everybody's favorite for an exhibition (about Yulia's jumping the 3T), it's save?

Swoon is the right word, Katarina was totally in love with her at the Team Event! But who isn't :)

Yeah, I remember a report from Sky Ita (I think it was before ladies SP, or after team event) and they showed a shor interview with Witt where she did said that about Yulia. She was impresssed with how mature she skated Schindler's List and counting her as a strong favorite.
Silvia Fontana, who was one of the commentators for Sky Ita and was in the studio, didn't liked that and she said after the interview: "I don't agree with Witt, and I don't think she really thinks that. She's just being politically correct because we're in Russia." :sarcasm:

I was like what?! :unsure:
I just couldn't stand the woman. All the time trying to bash Adelina and Yulia, even before skating. :rolleye:

starlight97

Final Flight
Thank you very much starlight. :yes:

What did she mean by: this has to be everybody's favorite for an exhibition (about Yulia's jumping the 3T), it's save?

Yeah, I remember a report from Sky Ita (I think it was before ladies SP, or after team event) and they showed a shor interview with Witt where she did said that about Yulia. She was impresssed with how mature she skated Schindler's List and counting her as a strong favorite.
Silvia Fontana, who was one of the commentators for Sky Ita and was in the studio, didn't liked that and she said after the interview: "I don't agree with Witt, and I don't think she really thinks that. She's just being politically correct because we're in Russia." :sarcasm:

I was like what?! :unsure:
I just couldn't stand the woman. All the time trying to bash Adelina and Yulia, even before skating. :rolleye:

By "it seems to be everybody's favorite" she means that (appearantly) most skaters chose the 3T for their exhibitions since it's a "save" jump that most can do reliably, not like a 3Lz or 3A.

About Silvia Fontane: I read that as well! Pretty arrogant and respectless to talk about young skaters and a 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist like that..:eek:hwell:

Is she the one who commentated the ladies free skate as well?
I can't find the video now, but I saw one with italian comment. When Yuna Kim's score came up on the screen and revealed that she was second to Sotnikova, a woman exclaimed in Italian:
"NO no ! Why do they have to ruin our sport?! I'm sorry but this is a robbery! "
I think that's the only video I've seen where the commentators reacted that appruply and opinionated and... negatively if you want.
Can that be Silvia?

Alba

Record Breaker
About Silvia Fontane: I read that as well! Pretty arrogant and respectless to talk about young skaters and a 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist like that..:eek:hwell:

Is she the one who commentated the ladies free skate as well?
I can't find the video now, but I saw one with italian comment. When Yuna Kim's score came up on the screen and revealed that she was second to Sotnikova, a woman exclaimed in Italian:
"NO no ! Why do they have to ruin our sport?! I'm sorry but this is a robbery! "
I think that's the only video I've seen where the commentators reacted that appruply and opinionated and... negatively if you want.
Can that be Silvia?

Yep, she was the one. In all her "glory". :sarcasm:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

In fact it was the 4th 3T rather than the third.