Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shocker of the Season

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    You were surprised that Joubert puller out due to injury? Hasn't that been like every competition he's been in for the past million years?? LOL

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think he had withdrawn two times in TEb, and GPF in olympic season, it is hardly every competition.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    You were surprised that Joubert puller out due to injury? Hasn't that been like every competition he's been in for the past million years?? LOL
    Yes, so LOLsy, skaters being sick and injured.

That said, I'd hardly consider Joubert's being sick a shocker. Stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I think he had withdrawn two times in TEb, and GPF in olympic season, it is hardly every competition.
    Events that Joubert has WD'd from that I know of, and why:
    2007 TEB - illness, before the event - I remember reading about it at the time, it was some weird thing that knocked him out for several weeks.
    2008-9 GPF - back injury, after the SP (he'd been in 3rd place) and also missed French Nats.
    2009-10 GPF - foot injury that required surgery, withdrew before the event and missed French Nats.
    2010 TEB - gastro, withdrew before the LP. I think he'd been in 5th place.
    2011 GP - withdrew before CoC due to a back injury and also missed TEB.

Joubert is one of the older competitors around and hasn't been healthy for a full season for some time, I hope he can make it through next season without any major medical issues.

Shockers of the season so far for me would be Machida winning CoC and Osmond winning SC. Chan's 2nd place finish was somewhat more expected after his JO showing. Shocker of the off-season was the Shpilband-Zoueva split.

Custom Title
    I have been away from home and the figure skating world for almost 4 weeks now, so that I have seen NONE of performances at the first half of GP series so far...but just by checking ISU results and its protocols (+ with a bit of my jetlag ) , PIG ARE FLYING OVER MY HEAD!

Hello again, everyone! I am back.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    deedee1, It's been quite the season so far! Welcome back!

(Did you know the association of Jeremy Abbott & Flying Pigs, BTW?)

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...jeremy-abbott/

http://twitter.com/jeremyabbottpcf/status/7185988400

Pigs can fly “‘Pigs can fly’ sort of became my motto during the 2005 season, the year I won the junior national title,” Abbott said. “It basically means that anything is possible. My family got a hold of it, and now it has spiraled out of control. Pigs are flying everywhere. I created a monster.” His family runs the Pigs Can Fly Club.

Just put it in the bag Abbott and his “Pigs can fly” motto is the inspiration behind ZÜCA’s first athlete inspired bag insert. A portion of the $45 price tag will benefit the New England Amateur Skating Foundation.

Custom Title
    Thanks a lot for your warm welcome, doris, and Jeremy's flying pigs story.

Yeah, I agree; anything is possible in life, so why not in the figure skating world.
    My heartiest congratulations to all skaters who have improved their skating, proved they can be something, and accomplished a certain levels/points/standings/judges' love (or whatever) up in the new season so far! , especially to Kaetlyn Osmond and Tatsuki Machida both beating the reigning world medalists!! As ayways, my biggest respect and appreciation to all skaters in the world who work so hard everyday in and everyday out!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your warm welcome, doris, and Jeremy's flying pigs story.

Yeah, I agree; anything is possible in life, so why not in the figure skating world.
    My heartiest congratulations to all skaters who have improved their skating, proved they can be something, and accomplished a certain levels/points/standings/judges' love (or whatever) up in the new season so far! , especially to Kaetlyn Osmond and Tatsuki Machida both beating the reigning world medalists!! As ayways, my biggest respect and appreciation to all skaters in the world who work so hard everyday in and everyday out!
    Such high class, deedee. Thank you!

Meanwhile another shocker: The winners of the junior dance at Ice Challenge of Graz are Demirsal & Akalin of Turkey! :cheer: over two young and relatively unknown Russian teams.

Did you ever think you'd see that! I'm thrilled to death (they train in CT).

Custom Title
    Wow, how exciting! I love seeing new countries show up on the podium. Remember how excited we were about Tugba Karademir, even though she never medaled that I can recall. Now Turkey has medalists. I'll have to learn more about them.

Custom Title
    Turkey has another gold medalist recently at Crystal Skate. Osman Akgun won junior men event with total score of 146. Congratulations to both Osman and Cagla&Berk!

Another shocker - (at least to me who was expecting Mary Poppins)
    The Shibs are using Missing as their SD. (Duchesnay's signature, IMO, FD)

senior men have completed

1 Peter Liebers GER
    2 Douglas Razzano USA
    3 Armin Mahbanoozadeh USA

The website is not yet updated

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Meanwhile another shocker: The winners of the junior dance at Ice Challenge of Graz are Demirsal & Akalin of Turkey! :cheer: over two young and relatively unknown Russian teams.

Did you ever think you'd see that! I'm thrilled to death (they train in CT).
    How wonderful to see Turkey do so well at this competition. Who is the coach for Demirsal/Akalin?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wishonastar View Post
    How wonderful to see Turkey do so well at this competition. Who is the coach for Demirsal/Akalin?
    Natalia Dubova and Oleg Voiko.

Banned
    who predicted Kira winning the GP in CoR, another shocker

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast