Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shocker of the Season

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    who predicted Kira winning the GP in CoR, another shocker
    Not a shocker for me. Her pcs are one of the best

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    True. But with Gracie 2nd & Agnes third, and no Russian lady on the podium, that was a shocker!

Custom Title
    Kiira winning was a surprise, but it wasn't that shocking. She won TEB before. And she was skating with a bunch of kids. She should stand out.
    The shocking part is the fall of Kanako. This girl used to be the darling of the skating world. Gang busting out of junior, ready to be the next Mao. Now, she couldn't even medal at a GP event.

I said years ago, the Russians aren't so good. So what if they can do 3x3 at 12. Try doing 3x3 with breastplate and asspadding. OMG, I should totally consult the Russian coaches, make them wear breasts and asses while practicing and competing. See how competitive they are. They can probably eliminate most of the hyped up wannabes.

I even said if Kostner can do her typical 4-5 triples cleanly, none of the Russians would come close.

Custom Title
    And Kiira does have a triple-triple, which is more than can be said of most American ladies currently skating. Thanks for reminding me of her earlier TEB gold, FlattFan. I was trying to remember whether she had won an international event before.

Don't give up on the Russians yet, though. They still have a few years to straighten themselves up, whether for this Olympic cycle or the next one.

Olympia, Gracie has a very consistent 3lz3t, and did 3F3t last year (though she has a slight lip she needs to fix, and which is being called consistently this year). Agnes does a 3t3t very consistently. And Christina Gao did a 3T3T in the SP (but not in the long) at SKAM. The only top US lady who doesn't consistently try a triple triple of some sort is Ashley.

In juniors, Angela Wang does a 3lz3t2t in the LP & 3Lz3T in the SP, Barbie Long does a 3lz3t in the SP, and 2A3t and 3lz3t in the LP. Leah Keiser tries a 3lz3t in both the SP and LP, but typically UR's the 3T. Courtney Hicks attempts a 3f3t, but the 3t was underrotated.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ... The only top US lady who doesn't consistently try a triple triple of some sort is Ashley. ...
    And we should stay tuned, per Ashley Wagner's recent espnW blog:
    "Next it’s off to Paris for my second Grand Prix, the Trophée Eric Bompard in mid-November. It’s going to be a tough competition with a bunch of younger Russian skaters, and I’m going to have to be really strong. I’m working on adding a triple-triple combo to my short and long programs, and I feel like if I can get that in both it will make me competitive against these girls. I have a lot of work ahead of me, though."
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/2...tart-my-season

Ash, I wish you wouldn't. Get the easy bronze & go to the GPF. Try the 3/3's there.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Ash, I wish you wouldn't. Get the easy bronze & go to the GPF. Try the 3/3's there.
    I'm assuming that Lipnitskaia and Tuk will go 1-2?

If she can hit as she did at SKAM, even if others skate well, she should get a bronze, worst case.

Here's who's there:

No. Name Best Ever Score
    1 Elena GLEBOVA 148.71
    2 Lena MARROCCO 127.62
    3 Mae Berenice MEITE 155.95
    4 Jenna MCCORKELL 150.90
    5 Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA 164.13
    6 Julia LIPNITSKAIA 187.05
    7 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA 182.89
    8 Joshi HELGESSON 149.08
    9 Christina GAO 174.25
    10 Ashley WAGNER USA 6

It is, on the whole, quite a strong field.
    Ashley's score at SKAM was 188.37, which is better than all these ladies' best. However, you have to allow for some home cooking of scores; back it off by 5 points, and she still has a good shot of winning, or at least getting a bronze, if she skates as at SKAM. If she adds a 3/3, chances are, the 3t will be dinged for underrotation anyway, if she doesn't fall on it, since it is an element she hasn't been doing lately.

Custom Title
    I'm not sure if I'm shocked about W/P not making GPF - as after their first competition a lot of knowledgeable posters suggested it would be hard for them to make it, but I am so disappointed!

I think I am still shocked by the Canton coaching break up! And, sadly, I've seen so little skating but it was shocking to read that Chan came in second and Hanyu's amazing SP was a surprise too. I think most shocking was to read about the Rippon/Song crash - these things happen, of course, but this one seemed particularly dramatic and I felt so bad for both of them, but especially Song.

A good shock/surprise was Gao - way to go!

*Japanese men sweeping Skate America.
    *Bobrova/Soloviev twice beating Weaver/Poje.
    *Fernandez winning Skate Canada.
    *Machida winning Cup of China.
    *Gachinski's poor showings at Skate Canada ans COR.
    *Mura winning TEB.

I found Bobrova/Soloviev beating Weaver/Poje twice pretty shocking. The Shibutanis did fall down the standings, but I didn't find that too shocking since they slipped a bit last year too. Another huge surprise was Konstantin Menshov's two 4th place finishes at his GPs. I hope the guy gets to go to at least one World Championship before he retires.

Custom Title
    All to me...

-Podium sweep by J-boys over Abbott.
    -Fernandez winning Skate Canada over Chan.
    -Osmond winning Skate Canada over Suzuki.
    -Machida winning Cup of China over Takahashi.
    -Mura winning TEB over Abbott.

And NHK Trohpy, the last GP event this weekend. I should expect a fourth win by our J-boy, either Takahashi or Hanyu, or 10 medals out of all 18 GP medals, maybe. In accordance with this season's trend, however, I shall expect a surprising win by either Miner or Reynolds over Takahashi and Hanyu. Be cautious, Dai and Yuzuru.

Definitely one shocker of the season for me was the fact that both Tatsuki Machida and Takahito Mura won Grand Prixs, but Daisuke didn't. Who would have predicted that Japanese #4 and #5 woud win a Grand Prix and Daisuke wouldn't?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    Definitely one shocker of the season for me was the fact that both Tatsuki Machida and Takahito Mura won Grand Prixs, but Daisuke didn't. Who would have predicted that Japanese #4 and #5 woud win a Grand Prix and Daisuke wouldn't?
    ...thanks to the stupid federation assigning their own Worlds medalists to the same competition...
    If they hadn't done that, maybe, just maybe Daisuke could have won TEB...then we would still have had six different GP winners but all to have qualified to GPF, which is very rare to happen, I would believe.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast